“How boutique should be done”
Review of Shade Hotel

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Reviewed 8 October 2007

Shade was my home away from home for two nights in September. Manhattan Beach, where Shade is located, is a great beach community south of LA. It gives you the feel of a small town community in the midst of one of the biggest cities in the US.

Shade is what I would consider the center of MB. It is one of the anchors of a new mini shopping center with bouttiques and restaurants all just off MB Blvd and Ardmore. The hotel is 38 rooms. I had one of the regular guest rooms on the second floor facing the courtyard. I found the room to be spacious, inviting and well laid out. The bathrooom counterspace was huge, and due to the set up of the bathroom (a sliding partition for a wall) made the room appear quite large. The bed was so comfortable (not too hard, not too soft) that it made it hard to get up in the morning. All staff that I encountered were friendly and attentive; one of them even showed me to my room and made sure I knew where everything was and how it worked. He even let me know that the front desk has an extensive DVD collection to use with in room DVD player.

The hotel isn't cheap (I paid $295/night), but I thought it was money well spent for what I got. One note, if your business or family excursions require you to be in Santa Monica, Hollywood, Century City or Downtown LA, you might want to consider a closer option, it will save you alot of time and headache driving-wise. If you don't mind driving, stay here, because once you arrive, it'll be as if your staying at your own place close to the beach.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank CSwan

Reviewed 25 September 2007

It is a beautiful hotel and having our rehearsal dinner party there was very elegant and unique experience. The staff is very attentive and the food (they have a new chef) did an amazing job. The squash ravioli was the biggest hit and you must try it and you will understand. Everybody could not stop raving about the food in general, but especially about the squash ravioli and the ambience. This was definitely a unique, unforgetable positive experience.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank joamyk
Reviewed 20 September 2007

The Shade is an ideal hotel. Cozy beds, delicious food, funky decor, great night scene, incredibly friendly and attentive staff...you really can't ask for more!!! While at night there is a very lively bar and rooftop pool scene, we stayed at the Shade with our family and were able to have the best of both worlds. A family friendly hotel by day and a fun place to hang out at night. The location is perfect--right in town and a few short blocks from the beach. We can't wait to go back!

Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank shade0807
Reviewed 5 September 2007

We just had our wedding ceremony and reception at Shade and i have to say we had the best experience ever! The Event Staff (Jolise, Jennifer and Tracy) were so amazing! The servers did a fantastic job and the bartender was great too. The food was the best i have ever tasted at a wedding-everyone raved about the filet and the duck. The chef was wonderful- very sweet- and he checked in with us to make sure everything was ok. Jolise was on the ball with every last detail.
We also stayed at the hotel for 5 nights and were treated very well. They sent champagne to celebrate when we checked in and on the night of the wedding. They also decorated the room with all the florals and candles on our wedding night!
We could not have been more happy. We have actually talked about having a once a year celebration at Shade........

• Stayed: August 2007
3  Thank lbr74
Reviewed 31 August 2007

My stay was great. The hotel is hip, and staff was very accommodating and friendly. My room was clean, ultra modern, with every electronic convenience. Perfectly located blocks from Manhattan Beach. The sky deck and bar were great. I recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a laid back atmosphere with just the right amount of edge and style.

James Ross
President, Grail

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank grail_jdr
Reviewed 25 August 2007

Stay here only if you are really into being treated shabbily by someone earning about one tenth of your salary. I tried to cancel my reservation after learning of a private party and was told I would be charged the full amount. The price of a night's rest (really, that's all I was going to get, anyway) and nothing more...over 300? I did not think it was too much to ask for a discount given the inconvenience, but the staff apparently did, and informed me that there was nothing I could do about it. Really, if you want to be treated badly, this is the place to go.

5  Thank Kamsar
Reviewed 19 August 2007

Basically, while I love the Shade and will probably stay there whenever I visit LA, I can understand some of the disappointing reviews on here. So this review should help you as I have not restricted it to my opinion and have highlighted some things which you might want to consider.

Shade is a very stylised hotel with luxurious and fancy rooms. The experience is different from normal nice hotels and I love it. The rooms have their own jaccuzis and lavazza coffee makers and DVD players and speak just two words. 'Luxury and Style'.

The staff is quite helpful and check ins and check outs are quite prompt. There is a car park underground which is free for the night and is only metered in the daytime.

However, there are some problems which every boutique hotel has.

Without having a large process driven hotel experience, some services do struggle to keep up. (Once my laundry was picked up after 3 reminders) Besides, the menu has about 5 or 6 dishes.

Some of the hotel facilites are often rented out to private events such as weddings, parties etc. So you might have to take a slightly longer route to your room as some sections might be out of bounds. Honestly, this never bothered me.

The roof has a swimming pool which is pretty useless. Again, very stylish, but not much value.

And last but not the least, if you dont want to mingle with some of LA's hippest crowd then dont come here. Because you will have to bear some of the music and crowd in the lounge.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank SiddMoras
Best Western Plus Manhattan Beach Hotel
Manhattan Beach Marriott
Manhattan Beach Marriott
#7 of 9 in Manhattan Beach

Been to Shade Hotel? Share your experiences!