“Everybody Cares”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Prescott, AZ
“Everybody Cares”
Reviewed 27 October 2007

We were very impressed with this small, intimate hotel. We ended up extending for three extra nights. Jeffrey Bacic and his dad, Milo, made us feel like we were at home. The staff, from reservations to valet, were very professional and personable. The food and drink were also yummy. We will definitely make this our hotel choice in Manhattan Beach.

Stayed October 2007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 8 October 2007

Shade was my home away from home for two nights in September. Manhattan Beach, where Shade is located, is a great beach community south of LA. It gives you the feel of a small town community in the midst of one of the biggest cities in the US.

Shade is what I would consider the center of MB. It is one of the anchors of a new mini shopping center with bouttiques and restaurants all just off MB Blvd and Ardmore. The hotel is 38 rooms. I had one of the regular guest rooms on the second floor facing the courtyard. I found the room to be spacious, inviting and well laid out. The bathrooom counterspace was huge, and due to the set up of the bathroom (a sliding partition for a wall) made the room appear quite large. The bed was so comfortable (not too hard, not too soft) that it made it hard to get up in the morning. All staff that I encountered were friendly and attentive; one of them even showed me to my room and made sure I knew where everything was and how it worked. He even let me know that the front desk has an extensive DVD collection to use with in room DVD player.

The hotel isn't cheap (I paid $295/night), but I thought it was money well spent for what I got. One note, if your business or family excursions require you to be in Santa Monica, Hollywood, Century City or Downtown LA, you might want to consider a closer option, it will save you alot of time and headache driving-wise. If you don't mind driving, stay here, because once you arrive, it'll be as if your staying at your own place close to the beach.

• Liked — comfortable bed, small hotel, attentive staff
  • Disliked — there wasn't anything not to like
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank CSwan
joamyk
Reviewed 25 September 2007

It is a beautiful hotel and having our rehearsal dinner party there was very elegant and unique experience. The staff is very attentive and the food (they have a new chef) did an amazing job. The squash ravioli was the biggest hit and you must try it and you will understand. Everybody could not stop raving about the food in general, but especially about the squash ravioli and the ambience. This was definitely a unique, unforgetable positive experience.

• Liked — Beautiful hotel and it is unique, and location
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank joamyk
New York
Reviewed 20 September 2007

The Shade is an ideal hotel. Cozy beds, delicious food, funky decor, great night scene, incredibly friendly and attentive staff...you really can't ask for more!!! While at night there is a very lively bar and rooftop pool scene, we stayed at the Shade with our family and were able to have the best of both worlds. A family friendly hotel by day and a fun place to hang out at night. The location is perfect--right in town and a few short blocks from the beach. We can't wait to go back!

Stayed August 2007
2 Thank shade0807
colorado
Reviewed 5 September 2007

We just had our wedding ceremony and reception at Shade and i have to say we had the best experience ever! The Event Staff (Jolise, Jennifer and Tracy) were so amazing! The servers did a fantastic job and the bartender was great too. The food was the best i have ever tasted at a wedding-everyone raved about the filet and the duck. The chef was wonderful- very sweet- and he checked in with us to make sure everything was ok. Jolise was on the ball with every last detail.
We also stayed at the hotel for 5 nights and were treated very well. They sent champagne to celebrate when we checked in and on the night of the wedding. They also decorated the room with all the florals and candles on our wedding night!
We could not have been more happy. We have actually talked about having a once a year celebration at Shade........

• Liked — the room and the staff!
  • Stayed August 2007
3 Thank lbr74
fla
Reviewed 31 August 2007

My stay was great. The hotel is hip, and staff was very accommodating and friendly. My room was clean, ultra modern, with every electronic convenience. Perfectly located blocks from Manhattan Beach. The sky deck and bar were great. I recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a laid back atmosphere with just the right amount of edge and style.

James Ross
President, Grail

• Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank grail_jdr
LA
Reviewed 25 August 2007

Stay here only if you are really into being treated shabbily by someone earning about one tenth of your salary. I tried to cancel my reservation after learning of a private party and was told I would be charged the full amount. The price of a night's rest (really, that's all I was going to get, anyway) and nothing more...over 300? I did not think it was too much to ask for a discount given the inconvenience, but the staff apparently did, and informed me that there was nothing I could do about it. Really, if you want to be treated badly, this is the place to go.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel
Manhattan Beach Marriott
Manhattan Beach Marriott
#6 of 9 in Manhattan Beach

Been to Shade Hotel? Share your experiences!