“Trendy, sexy, boutique hotel near the water”
Review of Shade Hotel

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Reviewed 14 December 2011

This is one of my favorite hotels. It's a small boutique hotel, very modern and trendy. The tempurpedic bed inspired me to buy one at home. They also have a variety of tempurpedic pillows. I celebrated my birthday here one year and had a great time. This seems like a perfect place to party but the only problem is they do control the noise levels here. The in room jacuzzi tub for 2 is great and has lights above that can change colors or you can make it stay one color. You can have the tub enclosed or open the sliding fogged glass doors for an open jacuzzi. The rooms also have iHome so you can play your iPod. This place is great for couples and anyone wanting a cool place to stay. Zinc lounge at the hotel is pretty cool but now they close at midnight due to the noise control. For my birthday my friends all met in my room for a drink, we then hung out at the hotel lounge which is a really cool crowd, and then we walked to a club up the street. In the morning I hung out in their rooftop jacuzzi pool. Rates are high, about $400 a night but worth it for a special occasion. Sign up for their mailing list on their website for special offers.

Reviewed 5 December 2011

It doesn't get better than this, especially for La-La Land! Forget the lack of any view--you're just blocks from the esplanade/immaculate beach & downtown area. Rooms are very comfortable; walk-in shower/bathroom separate from large turbo tub/sink & make-up area. Beds/pillows a delight. On top of this, wonderful comp breakfast; good meals at lunch; highly recommended bar. Fir & Sat night the locals storm the bar--a bit lively. Very friendly front desk staff. I have been staying here w/my daughter over Thanksgiving for several years & on my own in spring--never disappointed. Between LAX-Long Beach, this is the place. Note-they do offer a limo service to/from LAX-reserve in advance.

Room Tip: Upper floor; not over parking lot-better to be over street
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 October 2011

My wife and I spent a week with our three kids (ages 6, 4 and 2) at the Shade. I had to work early most days (east coast-based jobs), and used the lobby and the business center often. David, the overnight manager, was nothing short of proactive, hospitable, and competent -- he would have the coffee going (at 3 AM no less), could handle last second cab requests, etc. He was excellent. Also, the Shade employees are great with kids, which was a big surprise for an upscale, hip hotel. On the second floor, there is a large jacuzzi on the rooftop which was mostly empty, so our kids would hang out there for 30 minutes a day. There are a few water-oriented playground-things right outside the Shade (a Clifford, the Red Dog water fountain; and a walking area with water, which kids use as a playgound.). The beach is 3-4 blocks away. They have bikes one can use for free and you can work out at Equinox if you don't choose to run along the boardwalk. All in, a great trip and I would highly recommend, especially if you have little kids!

Room Tip: we had a suite
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank gkhanna74
Reviewed 25 September 2011

The place is a cash machine.They make money in every corner .
Everything good but not perfect.
Cool and friendly service.
Manhattan Beach is super and relaxing place.
I'm sure you will go there and came back again and again.
Perfect staff perfect rooms perfection location.
You will love it.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2011

I stayed here with my husband for a special celebration and the service was quite poor. First, when we originally called they talked up a more expensive room (specifically, the penthouse) than the one we wanted and we went for it. But it turns out the room wasn't even available when we arrived and no one even mentioned it. They put us in another suite which was quite dark and more of a meeting room than for a celebration. They did move us on request.
Then, at night after turn-down a hotel worker opened the door to our room unannounced. It was quite shocking and embarrassing. We stay in hotels all the time and that has never happened.
I tried to contact the manager on two occasion via phone and email and no response which to me is appalling in terms of service.

5  Thank cbandmb
Shade1221, Manager at Shade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2011

Dear cbandmb,

I really appreciate your taking the time to review Shade on Trip Advisor. I am so sorry to hear you were not happy with your stay. Unfortunately, the Penthouse Suite that you were scheduled to check into had an unexpected maintenance issue that we were not able to resolve in time for your arrival. We were disappointed that due to circumstances outside of our control we were not able to deliver on the product we had promised and with that we moved you to our most comparable suite and offered you a discounted rate on your new room as a gesture of our apologies.

Your messages were received by our Hotel Manager during a time he was out of the office unexpectedly due to illness. He feels awful that he was not able to respond sooner. In regards to the unexpected entry, our Hotel Manager met with all turn-down staff and housekeeping management to ensure that notice of entry was to be made loud and clear and that this will not happen again. We are excited you accepted our complimentary future night stay and are looking forward to having you back at Shade again soon.

All the best,

Katie Kruft

Reviewed 13 September 2011

This was my second stay at Shade at the end of our honeymoon and it didn't fail to impress. In fact, it was even better than when we stayed in June 2009. I love this place. The rooms are to die for, I want a master suite just like one of these rooms. The food is amazing, drinks are fantastic, staff are so attentive, nothing is too much trouble. The location is fantastic, right in the center of MB. They have literally thought of everything from Room Service from The Kettle (great 24 hour restaurant down the street), DVD list (that's brought right up to your room, as are the movies when you've phoned down with your choice), chromatherapy bath lighting, shutters to close off the bath area if desired (personally I'd rather be able to watch TV from the jacuzzi bath), a wonderful complimentary continental breakfast and staff who really care to get to know each guest personally. It is just fantastic. I know the owner has a few other spots in MB and I've been to several, they don't disappoint either. I cannot say enough good things about this place. If I could design my perfect hotel, this would be it. Stay here!

1  Thank Suse R
Reviewed 9 September 2011

So you want to stay somewhere that's not too far from the airport and the sights, yet relaxed and friendly? This is the place, right in Manhattan Beach, a beautiful upmarket area that is a real gem. Sit on the terrace and enjoy the great weather, walk to numerous restaurants (Derren's was fantastic), check out the beach, relax in your room. The staff are amazing, especially the manager, Christian. Make sure you arrange your transportation with Mac, who is a wonderfully informative driver who has so much to share about the areas you drive through. Definitely recommend!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
The Sea View Inn at the Beach
#2 of 9 in Manhattan Beach
Best Western Plus Manhattan Beach Hotel
#1 of 19 in Redondo Beach

Been to Shade Hotel? Share your experiences!