“Nothing but great things to say”
Review of Shade Hotel

Shade Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Nothing but great things to say”
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I have nothing but great things to say about this Hotel, the Staff and Zinc Lounge. I have been here multiple times for many reasons and have always had very friendly, prompt, and thorough service. When I held workshops for my business there in the green room they thought of everything for me. They had everything set up on time, valet discount for participants, refreshments and more for my participants. The feed back from my participants was that they felt like they just did a workshop at a spa. That is exactly how I feel giving my workshops there as well.

I have eaten at Zinc quite a few times and am so grateful they were flexible and accommodating with my specific diet which can be a little odd. Food is fantastic too. I just really love the vibe there. Day is like a spa and night is fun!
Based on all of my great experience, I looked into getting married here. My correspondence with Alyssa and Katie was fantastic. They answered the MANY questions I had as a planning bride promptly and clearly. I knew I would be totally taken care of. The ONLY reason I chose not to get married here was choosing to go out of town instead. It was a seriously hard choice and wish I could have brought Shade with me.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed 6 February 2012

The perfect location is only the beginning of the story with Shade Hotel. I have the opportunity to stay at hotels throughout the nation and typically enjoy the boutique establishments because of their unique attention to customer service. The Shade Hotel offers consistent excellence in room quality, cleanliness, keen attention to detail, excellent dining options just to name a few. We are treated like family at this establishment and there was NO request that wasn't granted. There are many choices to stay in the LA area but very few that give the "Shade" experience. Sincere thanks to Milo Bacic and his exceptional staff. Thank you again for a five-star experience!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 6 February 2012

My experience at Shade was unforgettable! The staff is extremely friendly and very helpful. They treated me like family and made sure that my every need was fulfilled. From the valet, to the front desk, to the room service, every part of my experience was excellent! The front desk attendant was very pleasant and answered all of my questions. She even suggested some of her favorite films, as I shared with her that my boyfriend and I wanted a quiet night in. I ordered the prosciutto pizza through room service, which I've had many times in the Zinc lounge, and it was just as delicious as always. Was wonderful having the very large spa tub with the cool chromatherapy lighting. My room was very quiet and was the perfect setting for my quiet evening in. Loved the design of the Shade Hotel, as well - so modern and unique. Will definitely stay at the Shade Hotel again!!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 6 February 2012

i've experience basically every hotel in the south bay and without question shade stands ahead of the rest. it's the only hotel i've returned to and their customer service is a testament to that. the location is perfect and the staff, a dream. one of the employees that helped me when i inquired about a meeting was incredibly sweet and courteous. the green room was amazing.

hands down the best hotel in the south bay. i've never had a bad experience there. from the food to the customer service. all in all a perfect weekend getaway or for any professional meeting/event.

thanks for all the help shade.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Cristiano R
Berry NSW
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Shade is an easy ride from LAX and positioned near to great shops, the beach, restaurants and cafes. The hotel staff were delightful and very willing to assist with any request, rooms very comfortable and bed was great. Breakfast was included or an a la carte available. We found the Valet parking at $20 per night good value compared to may hotels in Australia

Room Tip: Overlooking the water side
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Redondo Beach
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Great property, close to the Beach, airport, city, without feeling congested. Looking forward to the opening next year of Shade in Redondo Beach Marina...

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank barking1RedondoBeach
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I just love this hotel. I usually do a yearly r-t-w trip out of Asia which almost always includes a stopover in LA. I first decided to stay at the Shade because it was on the Tablet Hotel list (I always enjoy Tablet or Kimpton Hotels; more eclectic and boutique-oriented). The hotel did not disappoint and I have made a point of staying for 2-3 nights whenever I stop in LA. The staff is always fantastic as I have tended to have specific requests (quiet room, the cyclone fireplace on second floor rooms, etc.) via email and I always receive a prompt and professional response. The hotel is a quick drive from the airport and then you are right there near the beach (two blocks away), sipping on a great cocktail on the hotel's sky deck and heading to one of the many great restaurants in Manhattan Beach. The rooms are minamlist yet cozy and would be great for long, intimate romantic weekends (alas, my visits have been solo for business, but the hotel atmosphere is very inviting to read/work online in your room, up on the skydeck weather permitting, or in the fantastic Zing Lounge bar/restaurant downstairs--their cocktail nibbles are to die for...). Extra diviness comes from the complimentary Lavazza expresso machine fixes, the goosedown duvets and pillow library (heaven), the inroom jacuzzi resplendent with chromatherapy, etc. Every time i've stayed there has been a promotion with complimentary cheese plate/cocktails (or a choice of other packages--bike/picnic, fruit plate, etc.) which I've always had served up on the skydeck. I just love spending time at the hotel and on this beach before heading out to upcoming meetings...perfect for a much needed rest/decadence/retreat. (I can imagine there is the potential for some noise issues late night but I never encountered this problem in my five stays at the hotel...I've always just requested the most quiet room possible...second floor....).

Room Tip: Ask for quiet room, second floor.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
The Portofino Hotel & Marina, A Noble House Hotel
Manhattan Beach Marriott
Manhattan Beach Marriott
#6 of 9 in Manhattan Beach

Been to Shade Hotel? Share your experiences!