“creating our favorite "stay~cation" tour....”
Review of Shade Hotel

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Reviewed 10 July 2012

my boyfriend is a "hotel addict"....he loves to stay at a variety of hotels that continue to have unique very amazing service that completely cater to their guests...employees that go above and beyond their "jobs"...adding amazing guests that check into their the hotel(s)..."shade" has overall been an amazing experience...the unique attention to detail that was put into the entire "boutique" is tasteful and sexy....and inviting....the beautiful run lights around the very comfortable jacuzzi tub that also has the multi-colored changing light that turn with the running lights....in the rooms on the second floor there is an awesome cyclone fireplace...with a comfortable sized patio....and the suite is off the hook....three separate rooms with a larger jacuzzi tub...steam room with "rain shower included in the much larger walk-in shower...separate large master suite w/balcony....larger flat screen tv with a pull out temprepedic bed....and yes there is a full keg...with a beautifully frozen/iced spout...for the unique shade experience...TOTALLY worth enjoying...cheers..

Room Tip: theres only 30 so advance planning although they have great rates in off season
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank crosbynw

Reviewed 6 July 2012

We had our wedding reception at the Shade Hotel in Manhattan Beach CA on June 23 , 2012. The skydeck was the prefect venue for a small intimate wedding reception. The service was impeccable, the food was excellent, the attention to detail was on point, their staff support was so professional that we did not worry about anything at all. Our guests (total 60) still talk about how great the wedding was at the Shade Hotel.
I highly recommend this hotel for any and all special events. Their skydeck is just a great venue!

We, as well as other guests also stayed there for a couple of nights. The entire staff was just so welcoming and accommodating.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Skorp11
Reviewed 18 June 2012

To call Shade a home away from home would be the understatement of the century. I’ve been traveling to and from Southern California for business the past six years, with 30+ stops at Shade. The staff for both the hotel and their restaurant/lounge (Zinc) have been my second family since I started my travels. I’ll be away from the hotel for months at a time, only to check in and have the front desk greet me with a “welcome back” before I’ve made it through the door. It’s even gone so far as upon check-in a few months back, I was given a Shade hat that read “CUSTOMER OF THE YEAR” across the top! All of the staff know the exact spots for a business travel like myself to go and unwind after work. I give Shade my highest recommendation to anyone looking for a place to stay in Southern California.

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank ferguj23
Reviewed 10 June 2012

I have lived in southern California for a couple years now and after a while it starts to wear on you. I was tipped to Shade Hotel by a couple friends and decided to make it the destination in which I would plan my romantic evening away. From the time I picked up the phone to schedule the reservation I was greeted by the nicest person I have ever had the pleasure to book a hotel with by the name of Claire. She helped enlighten me on what would be in store for me and I was so happy to finally meet her when i showed up to get my room key. Thinking that would be the last person I would be dealing with I found myself at a slight problem by having a room that was too big for my intimate vacation and no sooner did I pick up the phone then I found myself in the perfect room with a great view and thanks to Jordan P. I didn't even have to lift a finger. A relationship that turned out to be most valuable when he was nice enough to help me order food after hours and have it delivered right to the room while he took care of everything. Both Jordan and Claire were fantastic, and coupled with the luxurious and extremely romantic layout of both the room and the hotel itself, this was exactly what i needed making my experience the perfect getaway. :-) If you don't stay here, you're missing out.

Room Tip: It honestly doesn't matter, all the rooms are fabulous but i recommend the Deluxe Spa Suite. Per...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bthestylish1
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Absolutely loved this hotel.

The staff were amazing and very friendly. Nothing was too hard for them.

The room as to die for. The bed was super comfortable and the pillows....OMG I want them on my bed!

Breakfast and dinner was fab and the location was perfect. A nice 5 minute stroll and we were at the beach whilst walking past fantastic restaurants and coffee places.

Will definately be back.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank maryann_farrugia
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I have been all over the world and stayed in many hotels from 1 star to 5. The Shade was the best so far. Staff attention to detail, rocket fast room service, extras we didn't expect and without the hotel chain b/s. Where else can you find Egyptian sheets on a Temperpedic bed ?
We really loved our stay and are telling all our friends and family to stay there. Thank you !!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank whothehellcares
Reviewed 28 May 2012

This place resets the term "Getaway". My wife and I come here occasionally for a sexy weekend getaway. We live in Culver City, less than half an hour's drive from this hotel, but it feels like the other end of the planet. Shade is a "remodeled" old-school motel format building, but it is SO well done that you will never feel the old building. The lobby, entry, bar, bistro all share the same great open glassy space. The hotel is on the edge of a public plaza that has several nice cafe's and restaurants, and a spa that is partnered with the hotel. You can easily walk through downtown Manhattan Beach and along the street downhill to the pier. There are a myriad of shops and more restaurants, bars and bistros to explore. Finding an exceptional meal is a snap. We like to book a couple's massage at the spa and then spend a couple of hours on their rooftop deck in a day-bed just soaking up the warm sun, sipping lemon water and loving each other. The rooms are a delight. We bring our own martini makings and the staff is happy to empty the fridge of all the overpriced junk in it so we can refrigerate our own special drink makings. Delicious beds and bedding, gorgeous bathroom that can be opened to the room with movable walls, a LED color strip you can control for "mood", a great little iPod player and a sweet quiet private balcony complete the picture. There is a sexy rooftop bar and Jacuzzi pool that get's hopping later, and the crowd is friendly and cool... like us! Give this place a try. We find the rates reasonable and the value very high! Whether is't a quick out-of-town visit with your lover, a romantic anniversary getaway, a perfect spot for an X-infused love-fest, this place works. We'll be back again and again.

Room Tip: Further from the lobby area is quieter, upper floors on the ocean side are best.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Best Western Plus Manhattan Beach Hotel
Manhattan Beach Marriott
Manhattan Beach Marriott
#7 of 9 in Manhattan Beach

Been to Shade Hotel? Share your experiences!