“The best hotel I have ever been.”
Review of Shade Hotel

Shade Hotel
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
“The best hotel I have ever been.”
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Everything was top notch here. And by top notch I mean above and beyond what one would expect from a nice hotel. The service was incredible, the room was pristinely clean and elegantly decorated, the complimentary breakfast super yummy, and the price was reasonable especially given the fantastic service and ambience. If you ever have a chance yo stay here do not miss it. You will not regret it.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Manfrengensintin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 8 August 2012

When I go to LA on business I always stay at Shade my last night (before heading out of LAX in the morning). Manhattan Beach is a wonderful town with excellent restaurants, and Shade is in the middle of it. Very nice and comfortable rooms with all of the amenities, love the bar in the lobby (well, the bar IS the lobby), professional but laid-back staff, and a reasonable price for the location.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank lllaroo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Friends of mine who live in So.CA has been taking trips to The Shade for the past three years and I can see why. They invited me to spend a day with them and bike ride along "The Strand" which is a bike path that stretches 22 miles along the ocean. So I got to check out the hotel as a 3rd party outsider and I must say.... I'm extremely impressed with everything about this hotel and especially their service! They treated me and gave me service as if I was one of their guests. They have several cruiser bikes on hand for their guests and I was able to use one for the day. Three hours into our bike ride is when I realized that I wouldn't be back in time to feed the parking meter for my car. So I called the front desk at The Shade and asked if they would feed the meter for me and the lady didn't even hesitate. She said yes of course and asked where is it located, make and model and took care of it! When I got back to the hotel I offer to give them money for the meter and they didn't even take my money. On the house she said. (FYI: there is plently of parking to choose from at The Shade; anywhere from short term meter parking, to long term and also valet parking too)

Oh, and must have their Passionate Kiss Martini at their bar. Unlike any other Martini you've ever had....I promise you will love it! and....of course their service at the bar too! I put my cell phone down on the bar and the bartendar noticed and put it upright in a glass and placed it in front of me so that I'm sure not to leave without it. Nice touch and attention to detail.

So as an outsiders perspective, they made me feel as though I wasn't one. Beautiful hotel and design, very clean, friendly staff with outstanding service! Location of The Shade is awesome! Put this hotel on your bucket list.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cheri S
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 10 July 2012

my boyfriend is a "hotel addict"....he loves to stay at a variety of hotels that continue to have unique very amazing service that completely cater to their guests...employees that go above and beyond their "jobs"...adding amazing guests that check into their the hotel(s)..."shade" has overall been an amazing experience...the unique attention to detail that was put into the entire "boutique" is tasteful and sexy....and inviting....the beautiful run lights around the very comfortable jacuzzi tub that also has the multi-colored changing light that turn with the running lights....in the rooms on the second floor there is an awesome cyclone fireplace...with a comfortable sized patio....and the suite is off the hook....three separate rooms with a larger jacuzzi tub...steam room with "rain shower included in the much larger walk-in shower...separate large master suite w/balcony....larger flat screen tv with a pull out temprepedic bed....and yes there is a full keg...with a beautifully frozen/iced spout...for the unique shade experience...TOTALLY worth enjoying...cheers..

Room Tip: theres only 30 so advance planning although they have great rates in off season
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank crosbynw
Manhattan Beach, California
Reviewed 6 July 2012

We had our wedding reception at the Shade Hotel in Manhattan Beach CA on June 23 , 2012. The skydeck was the prefect venue for a small intimate wedding reception. The service was impeccable, the food was excellent, the attention to detail was on point, their staff support was so professional that we did not worry about anything at all. Our guests (total 60) still talk about how great the wedding was at the Shade Hotel.
I highly recommend this hotel for any and all special events. Their skydeck is just a great venue!

We, as well as other guests also stayed there for a couple of nights. The entire staff was just so welcoming and accommodating.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Skorp11
Reviewed 18 June 2012

To call Shade a home away from home would be the understatement of the century. I’ve been traveling to and from Southern California for business the past six years, with 30+ stops at Shade. The staff for both the hotel and their restaurant/lounge (Zinc) have been my second family since I started my travels. I’ll be away from the hotel for months at a time, only to check in and have the front desk greet me with a “welcome back” before I’ve made it through the door. It’s even gone so far as upon check-in a few months back, I was given a Shade hat that read “CUSTOMER OF THE YEAR” across the top! All of the staff know the exact spots for a business travel like myself to go and unwind after work. I give Shade my highest recommendation to anyone looking for a place to stay in Southern California.

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank ferguj23
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 10 June 2012

I have lived in southern California for a couple years now and after a while it starts to wear on you. I was tipped to Shade Hotel by a couple friends and decided to make it the destination in which I would plan my romantic evening away. From the time I picked up the phone to schedule the reservation I was greeted by the nicest person I have ever had the pleasure to book a hotel with by the name of Claire. She helped enlighten me on what would be in store for me and I was so happy to finally meet her when i showed up to get my room key. Thinking that would be the last person I would be dealing with I found myself at a slight problem by having a room that was too big for my intimate vacation and no sooner did I pick up the phone then I found myself in the perfect room with a great view and thanks to Jordan P. I didn't even have to lift a finger. A relationship that turned out to be most valuable when he was nice enough to help me order food after hours and have it delivered right to the room while he took care of everything. Both Jordan and Claire were fantastic, and coupled with the luxurious and extremely romantic layout of both the room and the hotel itself, this was exactly what i needed making my experience the perfect getaway. :-) If you don't stay here, you're missing out.

Room Tip: It honestly doesn't matter, all the rooms are fabulous but i recommend the Deluxe Spa Suite. Per...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
#1 of 19 in Redondo Beach
Hotel Hermosa
Hotel Hermosa
#3 of 7 in Hermosa Beach

Been to Shade Hotel? Share your experiences!