“Perfect "HIP" Hotel Experience!!!”
Review of Shade Hotel

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Atlanta, GA
“Perfect "HIP" Hotel Experience!!!”
Reviewed 27 May 2008

I want to give SHADE an A++++....I have had several great experiences! Shade is a very hip boutique hotel, a few blocks off the beach in Manhattan Beach....possibly the best location in town, and next door to great restaurants and shopping. One of the great things about SHADE...you not only get "hip", but you also get great service...which is not always the case with hip hotels with attitude. I have stayed at SHADE three times now, and each one has been a great experience. #1 check -in help, bellman, maid service, et al...all are great. #2 The rooms: , maybe not the biggest hotel rooms in the world, but meticulously designed, clean, chic, and VERY comfortable beds - it's like staying in a little designer home away from home. I have stayed in their normal rooms which I think are just great.....if you like a very stylish, hip, yet comfortable room, you'll love them. I was lucky enough to get the Penthouse Suite on my last visit...it was just great!!! **Bar with a working beer tap, flat screen above the bar, a den, bedroom...big bath and shower....if you can splurge, do....you'll love it. #3 The Bar - ok, probably one of the hippest in town...kind of like a "W" lobby bar, beautiful scene, beautiful people....yet the noise is chill and the bar does not interupt your stay, great for couples, great for singles, great to just get a drink and chill (you just happen to get the bonus of being surrounded by beautiful, yet relaxed people. #4 Food....I didn't eat dinner there, but had breakfast and lunch...all outstanding....a great mix where style meets function and flavor...I highly recommend the food as well. So.....I travel the world, and I can say I fell in love with Shade, great place, great people, great service....all for a good price. If you are a business traveler, a couple for a getaway or vacation, or a single looking to enjoy Manhattan Beach...in each scenario, you will absolutely think you picked the best hotel in town! **Tell them I said hi.....you'll feel hip, but also you'll feel "known and appreciated"..... Safe and fun travels....Frank

• Liked — Service and Location
  • Disliked — All good!
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank FrankoTravelsWorld

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
SF Bay Area
Reviewed 17 May 2008

Very hip, but not a place for a good nights sleep. Very noisy and an uncomfortable mattress. I complained about the noise immediately after getting to my room and the staff was happy to book me a room at another hotel but said there was no way I could get out of paying for the room at Shades. This was past 10pm on a weeknight. I did not get fully to sleep, due to noise, until after 1am. Also, terrible room lighting.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
5 Thank SFBayArea2
Florida
Reviewed 15 April 2008

The hotel room was clean, interesting, nicely decorated, was in a great location and had a great staff. Our balcony faced the street and we weren't even awaken during naps in the middle of the afternoon - very quiet. The tempurpedic mattress and body pillows are a nice touch, as is the rolling bed tray to have breakfast in bed. The shower and tub were also very nice and clean and they had great shower supplies. My wife even used them and she is very particular about what she puts in her hair. We were able to sit on the roof of the hotel (and while very small, still cute) and relax one day while staff brought us Margaritas from the lounge downstairs for a less than exorbitant $7.50 each - cheap for LA standards. I don't think there were any serious enough complaints to aire on a website. If you want to relax, then I think Manhattan Beach and the Shade is a perfect place for you. The drawback to that is that there is not that much to do in this town, but you are close enough if you want to drive to LA.

I forgot one thing - surprisingly, I found the residents of LA to be much more friendly than those in the beach town of Manhattan Beach - who were very pretentious and snobby. However, that should not really reflect on the great service I received at the Shade - where the staff was outstanding.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank juckett
London
Reviewed 14 March 2008

We have just returned from two weeks at Shade in Manhattan Beach. The hotel is in a brilliant spot and i was able to walk around the "village" and shops, and down to the ocean and pier each day with my two small children, (my partner was working). It is located in a small square (called the metlox, which is very new) with relaxing fountain in centre and cafes/ restaurants around the edge- it was lovely. Incidently, there is a fantastic market tuesdays 12-4pm just off the square at the back of the hotel, selling delicious fresh organic foods- try the raspberry lemonade and warm popped corn.

Now onto the hotel itself. We have extremely high standards (!) and i can honestly say there is nothing i disliked about this hotel. It is contemporary and chic, in a quality way. The room was amazing (we were lucky enough to stay in the penthouse). It consisted of a large bedroom, which had a cool cyclone fire, and sunny balcony, and a lounge/bar area, which has a sofa bed in and it's own bar area with beer tap and large plasma. The bathroom has a steam room and enormous jacuzzi bath. Just perfect! i must say the beds and pillows were ridiculously comfortable, and we are looking at getting some of the pillows back home! Also, the bed was enormous. The suite has chromatherapy which is essentially coloured mood lighting which was relaxing..

On a friday and saturday night the bar seems the place to be, with nonresidents queing to get in.. lots of glamorous dressing up going on and excellent people watching potential! There are also plenty of places to hang/eat out locally. Incidentally there is no formal restaurant in the hotel per se, but you can order food in the bar or room service. The food is excellent and we thoroughly enjoyed everything, try the jamaican jerk pizza, cheese fondue, steaks and oh yes, the chocolate fondue!

There is a small pool on the roof. It is a cool roof terrace affair with chilled music playing and pink lemonade on tap. It is the type of pool you have a dip in, not olympic laps! There are sunbeds and towels up there too. The weather was beautiful during our stay so we did use the pool a bit but never saw anyone up there.

The staff on the front desk were so friendly and cool genuinely nice people, nothing was too much trouble. I felt we were really looked after and would not hesitate to stay here again. It is a superb hotel in a great location. The beach down there is amazing by the way. We hired a car one weekend and did the usual sight seeing, which was interesting, but we were glad to get back to Mahattan Beach. It's a great place to be.

Stayed February 2008
1 Thank BertiesMama
Los Angeles
Reviewed 10 March 2008

To put it simply, Shade is in a class of its own. Everything is done with the utmost care and quality. From the ground level up to the SkyDeck everything is perfect. The staff here really know how to make you feel welcome and the bartenders sure can cook up a fine mojito. For a night out on the town or a place to stay for the evening, you cannot go wrong with Shade.

Stayed March 2008
1 Thank goodtimes31
California
Reviewed 7 March 2008

I have stayed at Shade twice in the last few months - once for business and the latest to celebrate my husband's birthday. This is a unique hotel with a wonderful combination of elegance and whimsy. The rooms are spacious and equipped with a incredible array of features - from oversized spa tubs to expresso machines. Each room has a pillow library guaranteed to satisfy the most picky sleeper. There is also a wide variety of lighting to accomodate all of one's moods.

The in-room dining is way above the usual hotel fare. The dinner menu offered a variety of small plates including a yummy cheese fondue and mini burgers.

The staff is gracious and extremely helpful. I asked for a plate of cookies to be in our room upon arrival. Not only were they there, but they were actually warm!

I feel spoiled when I stay at Shade.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 5 March 2008

I just got back from my stay at Shade and let’s just say it's now become my favorite hotel in Los Angeles. At first I was unsure of the driving time I would have to all of my appointments but in the end it seemed that I made better time than usual (I am usually in Santa Monica). My room was nicely appointed with a tempurpedic bed, pillow library and an oversized jacuzzi tub plus separate shower. The staff was always very friendly and accommodating especially, Heidi, Joe and Sean who made me feel welcomed throughout the entire time. The food was excellent and the lounge at the hotel became my other office. It definitely felt like my home away from home.

• Liked — Staff
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
Manhattan Beach Marriott
Manhattan Beach Marriott
#6 of 9 in Manhattan Beach
Best Western Plus Manhattan Beach Hotel

Been to Shade Hotel? Share your experiences!