Shade Hotel
The Belamar Hotel(Manhattan Beach)(Great Value!)
US$286
US$209
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Best Western Plus Manhattan Beach Hotel(Manhattan Beach)(Great Value!)
US$180
US$154
The Sea View Inn at the Beach(Manhattan Beach)(Great Value!)
US$215
Crimson Hotel(Manhattan Beach)
US$111
US$108
Residence Inn Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach(Manhattan Beach)(Great Value!)
US$164
  • Breakfast included
Wave Hotel(Manhattan Beach)
US$166
US$120
Travelocity
Westdrift Manhattan Beach, Autograph Collection(Manhattan Beach)(Great Value!)
US$318
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
Hi View Inn & Suites(Manhattan Beach)(Great Value!)
US$131
Hotel Hermosa(Hermosa Beach)(Great Value!)
US$181
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Grandview Inn(Hermosa Beach)(Great Value!)
US$223
All reviewszinc loungerooftop poolcake popsjacuzzi tubhotel barfew blocksmood lightingloxservice was impeccableboutique hotelperfect locationcomplimentary breakfastbeach cruiserssanta monicala areabike pathrestaurants and shops
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 February 2014

For those of you visiting LA for business or fun, you have to stay @ Shade Hotel. Once you stay at Shade, you definitely won't want to stay anywhere else. I've stayed here ~ 40 nights over the last few years.

Here's why I keep returning and why you will too:

Rooms: Beautiful rooms with the most comfortable beds (Tempur-pedic) you could find. The rooms are quiet as well. For those of you who like the sound of the ocean, you can faintly hear the waves hitting the beach if you're on the ocean side of the hotel. No matter the room, I sleep better here than I do at home.

Location: You're in the heart of Manhattan Beach. 20 hopping restaurants within a 1/2 mile to include Shade's own Zinc Bar and Restaurant.

Shade is also a 5 minute walk to the beach and Manhattan Beach pier. In my view, there's no better prep for a busy workday then going for a quick run down by the ocean. Also, the hotel has bikes to use if you'd rather ride your bike along the beach.

And for you business folks who optimize for commute time, Shade is 15-20 minutes from LAX and an easy drive to West LA or Orange County.

People: I'm saving the best for last here. The people at Shade are so nice, friendly and welcoming. As I mentioned earlier, I travel a lot (am on the road for business over 150 nights a year), and the staff at Shade are by far my favorite. Aubry is awesome! She is always so helpful and responsive and always seems genuinely happy to help the guests @ Shade. Everyone on the staff have that same great attitude.

Can't say enough good about Shade. So go try it yourself.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank opkj
Shaunna M, General Manager at Shade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Thank you for your glowing review of our hotel! We love having our frequent guests back time and time again and it is so great you have stayed here so many nights over the past few years. It sounds like you had an all-around perfect experience—from our beautiful location to our friendly staff and comfortable rooms. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future and as always we look forward to making your next stay even more enjoyable than your last!

Reviewed 4 February 2014

my wife surprised me with an overnight stay at your amazing hotel! It started the minute we walked through the door and were greeted by probably the nicest young woman I have ever dealt with in a professional setting. She introduced herself immediately (Aubrey) and offered us a glass of champagne....AMAZING! She somehow knew it was my Birthday, which made me feel so special and welcomed. She then walked us and our bags to the room and explained all the fabulous amenities! Mood lighting.....fireplace.....spa tub...tempur-pedic mattress, and a custom pillow library....I mean, I could go on forever. We then had the pleasure of meeting the head Chef and enjoyed an off the menu meal that I still talk about. I hope my wife thinks I am worthy of another visit this year, but I am already planning to treat her for her birthday.
Thank you for reminding us what a luxury hotel really feels like!!

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for Aubrey when booking at Shade
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Steve,
It sounds like you had a fabulous birthday stay with us! Our rooms do have many fabulous amenities and it is great that you loved utilizing them all. We here at Shade love to create special experiences for all of our guests and it is wonderful that meeting Chef Chris and creating an off the menu meal was such a fabulous experience for you! Our Chef is amazing and we are so lucky to have him as part of our team. We cannot wait to have you back for both you and your wife’s birthdays!

Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

We booked Shade because of the number of positive reviews as we had never visited the

The hotel is situated a few blocks back from the beach and only 10 minutes from the airport and 40 minutes (with traffic) from downtown LA, Hollywood etc.

It is a small, intimate hotel with fantastic service. The rooms are well fitted out and include hot tub, coffee machine and a feature is a gas fire in a glass tube! Nothing was too much trouble, we ate at a number of good local restaurants but agreed that Shade had the best food and service. (Lunch on the roof pool area was my favourite!)

Manhattan Beach is a lovely quiet area - an oasis from the bustle of LA and we used the complimentary bikes to explore the area which is a great way to get to the neighbouring towns along the beach cycle path.

We have already decided to return to Shade for and extended break and this time with our 4 year old daughter later this year!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your kind review. We are thrilled to hear how much you loved the food and atmosphere here at Shade! Your description of Manhattan Beach is so true—“an oasis from the bustle of LA” and we are happy to hear you explored the area on our complimentary beach bikes. It is so exciting that you have decided to come stay with us again later this year and we look forward to seeing you. We hope your daughter has a wonderful time, as well!

Reviewed 27 January 2014

A hidden little Gem! Looking forward to staying here again. Excellent customer service and the coolest lounge area. Lighting and rooms-very romantic! Great music at night and offers a wonderful breakfast spread in the A.M. Two thumbs up in my book!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Terri B

We are so happy you can call us a “hidden little gem!" and we couldn't agree more! As a luxury boutique hotel, we pride ourselves on exceptional customer service. It is wonderful that you enjoyed everything from our room ambiance to our evening music and morning beach breakfast buffet! It was a pleasure having you and we can not wait to see you again. Thank you!

Reviewed 24 January 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Shade Hotel for two nights this past weekend. The hotel was very nice and staff was friendly and accommodating. This hotel is in an excellent location to walk to several restaurants in the area and right by the pier. The jetted spa and comfortable bed was nice to come back to after a long day out. We wish we could stay longer. We will definitely come back to this place again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello Steven.

It sounds like you had a great stay with us and got to explore our wonderful pier area! Downtown Manhattan Beach is a very special place and our guests always love exploring all of the shopping, dining and entertainment the area has to offer! We look forward to seeing you when you return!