“38 rooms, 38 stars!!!!!!”
Review of Shade Hotel

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Reviewed 3 September 2008

Let me start by saying i wanted to stay in the Santa Monica area,but the rates for those chain hotels were too high.So i found Shade which was not that far from SM so i booked it.OMG LET ME JUST TELL YA......FABULOUS!!!!! I was tickled to death w/ my rate at 265 a night which included a comp beach breakfast that was 15 if u did not stay at the hotel.Fresh fruit,bagels and lox,oatmeal,latte,fresh oj,and muffins.Also,comp figi water in your room.The bathtub was to die for along with the bed.Im a huge Westin and W fan and this room,which was a standard room,exceeded my expectations.All the pics on here are exactly how it is.We had a convertiable and we went to SM,Malibu,LA,& Laguna so i was very happy w/ my decision on staying in Man Beach.It was my fav place in Cali.Everything is within walking distance and i loved all the places we dined at.ROCK N FISH,MUCHO ULTIMA,&THE KETTLE.A new sushi place opened that week by the hotel that looked really inviting,but we had sushi in LA.So to sum it up the Shade is great and i would and hopefully will be returning soon.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank boatdrinksTennessee
There are newer reviews for Shade Hotel

Reviewed 19 July 2008

We booked this hotel following an article in the sunday times travel magazine which referred to it as being one of the 25 cool places in LA. We agree wholeheartedly. This was our second stop at manhatten beach and was a day of relaxing and letting us appreciate the laid back californian lifestyle after drizzly, dreary uk. After waking refreshed we made our way to manhatten beach and spent the day wondering round the little shops, having a coffee and something stronger and ambling along the beach. The hotel staff were extremely friendly, casual but very helpful. Our room was lovely; i wish it was my bedroom, it was bigger than our flat!. The bed was really comfy and an excellent size and of course the spa was fab. We were particularly impressed with the mini "bar" fully stocked with cocktail shaker, blender and other more saucy items! The room was really spacious. We did not find the hotel noisy but maybe that was because we were out and about; this is definately not somewhere to stay if you want a quiet early night. We had booked a local restaurant following receipt of an e-mail from the hotel with their recommendations. We did not venture up to the pool but with the beach so close we didn't want to. Shade is as achingly hip as it thinks it is!!!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pugdoggy5
Reviewed 9 July 2008

This place deserves 4.5 stars, not 4. It's just short of perfect, which says a lot about how nice it is.

Shade is a chic, hip, upscale, trendy boutique hotel. I do not consider myself to fall within any of those categories, and yet found the hotel to be very pleasant and not 'over the top,' as I was fearful it would be. This is not a typical hotel, as most of us are used to. The check in counter is in the bar, the hallways are outside, but internal (think square donut shape from overhead), the rooms are fashioned with an open floorplan and many other interesting touches. I was impressed by all staff members. I assumed that in a place that prides itself on being so upscale, that the staff would be snobby. From the valet, to the bellboy and desk staff, everyone was pleasant and genuine. The room is small, but certainly not uncomfortably so, or even approaching. We had a room on the 2nd floor, overlooking the Metlox and 13th st. We never had any issues with noise, albeit we were not over the bar, and it was a weeknight. The room had a cyclone fireplace, dresser, TV & DVD, small bar and armoire. The cyclone fireplace is a novelty which I could have lived without. I thought it would be three tubes, but it was one, with mirrors behind it (that's why it looks like three in photos.) The TV was not a flat panel, which surprised me, but I don't go on vacation to watch TV, it was large enough. The bar was a nice touch, it came with several glasses of varying sizes, a blender, shaker, coffee maker and minibar/fridge. The minifridge had a tiny bit of room for your personal use, 4 bottles. There is no ice machine, you will need to call room service for it. Plenty of storage in the armoire/dresser. The bathroom had a long marble sink, with one sink, and plenty of counter space. The toilet and shower were seperate, with a slider. The shower had a nice stone inlaid floor, very nice touch. The whirlpool is in the bathroom/bedroom shared area. You can portion it off with sliders, if you desire. A bit different than typical, but not weird. The tub features overhead LED color lights you can adjust to your liking, a very nice touch. The faucets were saucer shaped glass, with the water coming out around the center handle in the middle. Again, different, but not weird. All the lights are controlled by three panels, one next to the entry, one on each side of the bed. This feature is handy in theory, but until you memorize every button, it makes finding the right one (in the dark) a task. I probably would also have traditional switches mounted at each fixture. The furniture was nice dark wood, which I like. The bed was therapeutic, some will like, some won't. I found it to be too firm, but comfortable. All the linens and towels were very fresh and smelled lightly purfumed. The room was very clean on our arrival and after housekeeping did it's once-over. There were plenty of extra towels, pillows and blankets. I think we had three bathrobes, but at least two. The hallway for the hotel (on the 2nd floor) has many openings to the outside, as windows and other architural designs. Hard to describe, but it really made it a comfortable feeling, not the usual claustraphobic hotel hallway feel. The pool is on the roof and is less of a pool than a giangantic, cooler than normal, hot tub. Had I known this, I would have spent a lot more time there, than just my last night. We did not experience the bar/restaurant. All in all, a very nice place to go. Honestly I felt like I did not have nearly enough time there. The whirlpool tub in the room is the best feature, very relaxing. The hotel has lots of nice touches, without going over the top. I found it very relaxing and look forward to visiting again. Manhattan Beach is a fun, laid back, beach town with tons of bars and restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Matt R
Reviewed 24 June 2008

I stayed here in april for a wedding. hotel is great and in a perfect location for the beach, restaurants, and walking around. everyone was great. the rooftop pool is a good place to hang out and relax. would love to return someday!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2008

I've stayed here about 8 times over a year. It used to be a better value, but now it's getting a little pricy. It's close to everything you want to be close to in manhattan beach. The bar is fairly upscale and the crowd ranges from young professionals to cougars. Bottom line is if money is no object stay here. If you don't spend much time in your room, it might not be worth the dough. I will say the beds are very comfortable and you get guaranteed entrance into the bar at night which can be pretty hectic on the weekends. If you want to save some $$ stay at the Residence Inn on Sepulveda and cab over early. There are plenty of other nice bars to go to as well as some awesome dive staples of MB.

Shade is great, don't get me wrong. Would I stay again? Of course I would.

Don't forget about the rooftop deck with bar, spa, and pool. Not too shabby.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CGonzales
Reviewed 6 June 2008

My boyfriend and i stayed here recently and the hotel is great. From the moment we pulled into the valet everyone that we encountered at the hotel was wonderful. The customer service is really great. The decor and ambiance at the hotel is cool and the room that we had was spacious and decorated nicely. We used the jacuzzi bath and it was great considering my bf is 6'4 we both fit in there ok. The chromotheray color changing bathroom was interesting too. We had a cyclone fireplace in the room that was a nice added touch. The temperpedic bed was ok but not really my thing but we still slept great. Manhattan Beach is a great little town and needed a hotel like this.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2008

We hosted a lovely party on the Skydeck at Shade---the food was delicious, service was superb, in short, it was perfect! We had contacted several other locations before deciding on Shade. No other venue was as helpful or accommodating. It was a pleasure to work with event planners at Shade. I would highly recommend Shade for any type of entertaining!!

Stayed: May 2008
Best Western Plus Manhattan Beach Hotel
Manhattan Beach Marriott
Manhattan Beach Marriott
#6 of 9 in Manhattan Beach

Been to Shade Hotel? Share your experiences!