“A cool time in the Shade”
Review of Shade Hotel

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Reviewed 3 August 2009

We loved this hotel. From the great location to the Temperpedic beds, we really enjoyed our stay. This hotel is located in a kind of shopping center that has various restaurants and is just a 5 minute walk to the beach. We checked in kind of late after a long day of driving and sightseeing. We ate a late lunch so we were thinking about maybe some sushi for dinner. The desk clerk overheard us chatting and offered to make us a reservation at Sashi, it was great. This a small hotel, but it's special. The decor is modern and smart. The rooms are comfortable with nice linens on the beds, espresso machines and drink shakers and blenders! (That's something you don't see every day) A newspaper delivered every morning. We took advantage of the available bicycles and rode down the beach for breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Shade Hotel

Reviewed 31 July 2009

What an incredible boutique hotel! Especially for the money! Stayed here for a business trip to L.A. more than a year ago and never forgot the excellence we experienced. Am frankly not the type that generally cares enough to take the time to write a review, but have been using "TripAdvisor" lately and thought it worthwhile after reading other reviews.

The Shade has extremely clean, contemporary, well-appointed rooms and some of the most accommodating service I've experienced, and I'm a well-seasoned traveler. The hotel is also a gathering place for some of the local populace and is set in a wonderful, very upscale outdoor mall. It's an active environment with beautiful people and surroundings. If you're looking for an exceptional example of "California Living," (I'm a former long-time resident of L.A.), or merely an absolutely outstanding place to stay for business or pleasure, you won't be disappointed by the Shade!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 July 2009

This hotel has a wonderful ambience, excellent service, great rooms, the best beds in the industry and a lovely modern bathroom. Have stayed here 2x and it was excellent both times. If you want a top notch modern hotel, stay at Shade. Great breakfast (excellent coffee and OJ!) and a fun bar scene. The location is perfect, in the heart of Manhattan Beach, with the beach, restaurants and shopping within a short walk.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2009

We are frequent travelers, to places like NY, Chicago, South Florida, Vegas, Southern California... and in hotels several nights every month for as long as I can remember. Shade Hotel, in Manhattan Beach, CA is our absolute "go to" in L.A.. Before we discovered this little gem, we stayed at The Peninsula and Ritz Carlton when in L.A.. That was then...this is now! Shade Hotel is a breath of fresh air. Shade has a relaxed, upscale, modern vibe that will rejuvenate even the most road weary traveler. From here you can walk to restaurants, shops, the beach... Imagine that, WALK, in L.A.! Shade is the best little hotel in So Cal.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 June 2009

Shade is a good hotel with nice service and very comfortable beds. The food is the best thing about this hotel as it was reallllllly really good.
I just found the decor to be pretty cheesy- the "light therapy" in the rooms and the weird one touch fire thing in the room was just strange.
When I am the beach I want light and airy- this was just not it. If you have to stay in Manhattan Beach this will be fine, but if you want a great beach experience go to Santa Monica and go to Shutters.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank ashmack
Reviewed 20 June 2009

It's true that the staff is all under-20 first job tending toward rude given the market this place is aiming to stay in. But if you're used to staying in places like this, then you've worked hard for your money and you know how to handle these kids and get what you need.

The hotel looks like some sort of converted Motel, albeit a high end conversion. The mattresses which others have found uncomfortable are Tempur-Pedic. They are ok, but I've slept on more comfortable beds, that's true. The toiletries are really fantastic, but the staff is SO CHEAP with them that I actually wrote to the company and to management to say that if the purpose of partnering with companies is to encourage buying the product afterwards, Shade fails because they did not replace them my entire stay, even though I called and asked. (I went to Super Wal-Mart for more toiletries!!!!) (the fire thing in the corner is a waste of energy, space, money etc.)

I love this hotel because of the size of the room and the location, and the availability of parking, wi-fi, and breakfast buffet included. Try paying for those things in any other LA hotel and you'll end up with the same price for the room, but of lesser quality. This is closest enough to the highway to be convenient to everywhere you need to be. There is no view, but that's not why I chose the hotel.

I chose it as: a treat to myself, its proximity to what I wanted but without the hassle of traffic and finding parking or paying $25/night+tax for parking, wi-fi included, safe neighborhood, nice furnishings. With few rooms, it is definitely atypical, and makes its money from the use of the hotel facilities for meetings, bar, events, etc. but I will go back to stay there as my treat to myself again this Christmas.

Last but not least, the desk clerk told me Steve Perry from Journey had throat cancer. He was SO WRONG and it SO BOTHERED me because I LOVE Steve Perry and I LOVE Journey and all they play in their bar at night is JOURNEY, and I LOVED it. So if you hate Journey, that may be a reason to not go...

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 April 2009

We stayed here on the last night of our trip. We had been running ourselves ragged and Shade was a great retreat to recover before the trip home. I looked at several well known beach hotels in Santa Monica but couldn't find anything as great for the value. The rooms at Shade are AMAZING! Not only the fabulous jacuzzi with chromotherapy, but also temperpedic bed, fireplace, lavazza machine, full bar amenities, balcony, advanced lighting and electronic controls, ipod dock...basically the works. Plus the hotel lounge is a great hangout with interesting cocktails and a great tapas menu. The location was nice too. Nestled in the quaint shopping district of Manhattan beach and just a few blocks to the pier. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend this hotel. The only thing is that it is not really kid friendly. That's fine with us as we don't have children but the hotel is definitely a more tranquil, adult destination.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Best Western Plus Manhattan Beach Hotel
Manhattan Beach Marriott
Manhattan Beach Marriott
#6 of 9 in Manhattan Beach

Been to Shade Hotel? Share your experiences!