“Wow”
Review of Shade Hotel

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Reviewed 29 October 2009

An excellent hotel! I was stunned by the location (in downtown Manhattan Beach) and the rooms. Tempurpedic beds, a huge whirlpool bath, cool fireplace, flat screen TV, it was amazing. The lounge was fun, the service was great (as I looked for ice someone from the hotel stopped me and said "let me take care of that for you"). I highly recommend this hotel!

Reviewed 29 October 2009

I live locally in Manhattan Beach. I mainly have visited the sky lounge and the lobby bar for social outings. I would recommend against patronizing these venues.

I made the mistake of opening a tab with my credit card at the sky lounge. I was charged twice the number of cocktails my group consumed that evening. Upon leaving I was presented with a final charge bill but not an itemized list of charges.

After me insisting on a review of the above and visiting in person with with the manager of the sky lounge (Shawna), I discovered that there were specific types of drinks charged that were never consumed by my group and that company protocol was violated (as admitted by the manager herself) by not presenting me an itemized list of charges upon requesting my signature.

Even after the above was noted and admitted by the manager, she would not reverse the erroneous if not fraudulent charges.

There are other options for upscale clubs in the area and certainly more trustworthy.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
4  Thank CALIFORNIAMB
Reviewed 21 October 2009

This hotel is built around an outdoor courtyard. Arrived to LOUD POUNDING music from a wedding in the center courtyard. Why does every hotel feel the need to have weddings going on to the detriment of everyone else's enjoyment? Wedding guests were dancing to LOUD music in the middle of the Zinc Lounge, making it inaccessible to hotel guests. Later that night it became PACKED with locals and and another DJ playing LOUD music! Sunday AM got up to find a local radio station covering football in the Zinc Lounge where we were supposed to have a relaxing complimentary breakfast!! Owners need to decide if this is a relaxing spa-like hotel or an entertainment venue. We will never return.

2  Thank LoveYosemite
shadehotel, Manager at Shade Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2009

While we appreciate this feedback, it is important to note that of the 6 various hotel reviews this reviewer has written on Trip Advisor, 4 include complaints about noise.

While we do host occasional events and weddings at Shade the vast majority of guests are unaffected and even enjoy the lively atmosphere of the hotel. At Shade we make it our first priority to do everything we can to ensure that each and every one of our guests have a comfortable, relaxing and highly enjoyable stay each and every time they visit us. This statement is backed up by the numerous rave reviews we have received on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed 21 October 2009

Stayed for 1 night only. Easy to find, valet parking and very smart from outside. Near to Manhattan beach shops and pier. Very good position.
Reception area welcoming and staff friendly.
Breakfast included in rate was served in and outside. Choice of salmon, fruit, cheese, bagels muffins toast yogart and coffee.
Room was on ground floor and was roomy and modern. Very smart and clean. Loved it. Good lighting, water taps smart, everything was nice about the room. Had firdge and bar, with nice glasses. The bed was large king very comfortable.
WIFI free and good reception. Would stay there again. loved it

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 October 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Shade for a weekend trip. We loved the ambience, decor and friendly staff! The tempur pedic bed was so comfortable and having a soaking tub in room was like being in a mini-spa. We ate a delicious breakfast every morning in the Zinc Lounge (they also offer a complimentary breakfast in the lobby). The Shade is walking distance from so many great little restaurants, stores and, of course, the beach! We will definitely go back...hopefully for a longer stay!

1  Thank GirlAZ
Reviewed 3 September 2009

First, you are greeted by the most friendly, professional staff to park your car and bring your luggage in. From that point on everyone, including the waitstaff, exceeded our expectations and treated us with respect and were extremely professional.

The room was impeccably clean; the bed was so comfortable we both slept really well; the amenities were excellent including an espresso maker and a bar with beautiful barware. The jacuzzi tub with the lighted ceiling was so relaxing at the end of the day. The food was so delicious we did not want to eat off premises.

The location is convenient to freeway access and just about anything we wanted to do was within walking or bikeriding distance.

We can't wait to return for another stay!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2009

I recently hosted my birthday party at the pool on the skydeck (they have a pool party every Sunday from noon to 5 p.m. during the summer). Everything about the day was ideal. The ambiance was a perfect. The DJ was incredible. The staff was very accommodating. I can't think of a better way to have spent my birthday. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2009
The Sea View Inn at the Beach
#2 of 9 in Manhattan Beach
Best Western Plus Manhattan Beach Hotel
#1 of 19 in Redondo Beach

Been to Shade Hotel? Share your experiences!