“Dated but good value”
Review of Crimson Hotel

Crimson Hotel
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Reviewed 9 April 2010

We just needed a place to stay in Manhattan Beach. This was an affordable place. It is on a busy street - about 2 blocks from the mall. There are a lot of places to eat and a lot of entertainment.

The hotel is very dated. You park in an underground garage and then go upstairs to check in. We actually missed the office in the beginning. The attendant wasn't the friendliest but he wasn't rude either. Their was a sign at the front desk detailing the charges of all the stuff in the room -- if anything is missing when the assigned maid went through your room the hotel would charge applicable rates to your credit card. That was a bit unfriendly to me.

The rooms all face a pool. The hotel is 3 stories and luckily we were on the top level. I'm not sure I would like to be in level 2 because it seemed to be a bit constrained between the pool railing and the sidewalk above. The rooms were large, very sparsely furnished, but it was clean and the bed was comfortable and it was quiet.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janine K

Reviewed 9 April 2010

Stayed here with family. Location was perfect as we were sightseeing in different areas and it was easy to get around. The staff at the hotel was friendly, and the rooms were very clean. We are a family of 4 with 2 teenagers, so we had a 2 bedroom/2 bath room. 4 beds total, and it was perfect for us!!

The continental breakfast included waffles, cereal, and danish. It was enough to hold us over until lunchtime.

I would stay at this hotel again if ever in the area.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 February 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed here for three nights in mid-February as a central place to meet friends, as well as do things around LA. For the value, this was very reasonable. Stay here if you like the area, but don't like the price tag at other hotels in town. Don't stay here if you expect the nicest place near the beach--this probably isn't it, but it's not a bad place to sleep. The only bad things were that breakfast was only open until 9:30, and that the pool was closed for half of the trip.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 September 2009

The staff was very friendly, the room was what I expected for the price paid. The mattresses were not the softest I'd ever slept on, but nor were they "bad" mattresses. The carpets were either recently installed or recently cleaned.

The only issue I had was that when the maid came in to clean, she turned the air conditioner to fan only and opened the window a crack... with all of our belongings left inside, I did not appreciate the fact she was leaving the window open. When I complained to the desk clerk, he apologized and gave us a reduced price for the rest of our stay.

It's not as close to the beach as I'd have liked, but it was not hard to find. The area is a very decent neighborhood type of place. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and my visit to Manhattan Beach.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 January 2009

I love reading these "woe is me" reviews. They're quite comical. Thanks to those who are professional complainers for the entertainment!

This hotel was more than adequate for a couple guys going to a football game.

It was clean and quiet (our room was right on the highway, too), and had a flat screen TV. Parking was more than ample. It was December/January, so the pool was out, but I couldn't care less about a pool anyway. And it being a Comfort Inn, the usual Belgian waffle breakfast was tasty. In fact, the morning shift staffer was running late, and the nightshift guy was very apologetic about not having coffee and breakfast ready at 6:30am.

My only issue (and a small one at that) with this hotel is that the outdoor hallways were way too dark (if you happened to be up and about early or late).

I'd go there again (and I've never seen a bedbug that seems to be at every hotel in the country, according to this site)

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank smokeybandit
Reviewed 25 July 2008

We were booked for three nights but checked out after one. The staff were welcoming enough, the underground parking garage was free and the bed was comfortable but that's all I can find good to say. The room was small, dark, smelly and noisy. It looked out onto a dark corridor and faced the plant for the swimming pool, which kept us awake all night. I understand the rooms higher up are lighter, but I hope they were cleaner than ours was. The carpet was grubby and the decor generally dingy. It was cheap, but unless you have very low standards, pay another 20 USD and look elsewhere. Comfort Inn should be ashamed to put their name to this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Hockeybod
Reviewed 29 August 2007

This is definitely a place to avoid. We originally booked it for 6 nights but left after just one. When we arrived the room smelled of Lysol (or some other cleaning agent) and the bathroom smelled of chlorine. There was almost no place at all to hang clothing as a refrigerator had been put in that area. (The room did not have a closet.) The fan in the bathroom was loud enough to wake up the dead.

This hotel needs a major rennovation. The furniture looked like it had been acquired in dribs and drabs from yard sales or flea markets. Beacuse it is in a beach area, the prices are much higher than they would otherwise be. We booked it beacuse AAA gave it 3 diamonds but in my opinion it was worse than any Motel 6 we ever stayed in and AAA doesn't even consider them good enough to rate 1 diamond, generally speaking.

About all I can say in this Comfort Inn's favor is that the staff tried to be helpful and the bed was clean and comfortable. The overall atmosphere however was depressing.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple