“Under construction until December.”

Manhattan Beach Marriott
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Reviewed 25 August 2011

There was a jackhammer above my room and it goes 7 days a week. The room rate was attractive and they offered a $50 per day room credit, but parking is $21 which they don't say. The golf course is beautiful and adds a wonderful ambiance to the property. The rooms were clean, but sparsely appointed. No coffee maker, refrigerator, microwave, cups and ice bucket were so discreetly hidden, I could not find them until I inquired at the front desk. The hotel was okay and the staff was nice--but I was not overwhelmed and agree with a previous posting that the property feels a little bit below the Marriott standard which is so renowned. For the value, minus the jackhammer, I would stay here again, however. Bed was nice, room was clean.

• Stayed: August 2011

Reviewed 22 August 2011

I don't typically write reviews - most of the time you get what you pay for and I've come to expect that. No more, no less. In rare circumstances you find yourself surprised at a truly wonderful, or terrible, experience. In that case, I try to write a review or contact the management.

One of the worst hotels stays I've had in 25 years:

The room was dirty - no, it had been cleaned, just not very well;
The doors in the room were damaged. Not just scratched - large chunks of wood were missing;
The drapes had holes in them;
I asked for a higher floor room - even though the hotel wasn't fully booked, I was put on a lower floor looking over the hotel rooftop which had trash on it;
The room was dirty - did I mention that?;
The fan in the bathroom was so loud I thought I was staying at an airport hotel;
Room service trays filled with food were left in the hallway all night long.

Given the money - $200 per night - more with parking, taxes, surcharges, etc., I was absolutely amazed. There are several hotels in the area that are better for less. I was supposed to be there for 3 nights. After staying one night, I checked out the next morning (so I had to repack my entire bag) because it was so bad and refused to pay.

I would rate this hotel a zero if I could.

By the way, when I first started going to Los Angeles regularly (2 weeks minimum per month for 2-4 days), I contacted all the hotels in the area regarding a corporate arrangement. Despite leaving two messages for the sales manager at this hotel, I did not get a call back.

Room Tip: Try cleaning up the room
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank TB2445
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Great location close to LAX, the beach, shopping and restaurants. Golf course on site and good restaurants. Rooms are very nice and spacious there even was room for 2 extra twin beds for the kids. It's true that parking is expensive but it's the same everywhere in California. Not sure about wifi in rooms, didn't need it.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I’ve reviewed this before, since we’ve stayed here quite a few times since mid-1990’s, and my experiences (and reviews) go up & down. We stopped staying here for a while as it was going downhill, but during our last visit in March 2011, we felt the hotel was on the upward slope again and I gave it a 5 star. After this stay, I am downgrading it again. We stayed here yet again for one-night on a business trip, and as Platinum Elite members, we were upgraded to a very nice Concierge Level room with a balcony, golf course view, and nice marbled bath. It was a weekend, so the Concierge Lounge had nothing but water, Pepsi, and Decaf Coffee. The regular coffee machine in the Lounge wasn’t working. Why not? Isn't anyone watching over the lounge? Service is rather limited here, compared to other Marriotts – a few people at the front desk, a bellman & a valet. On a positive note, this hotel is convenient to the Manhattan Beach pier, the downtown restaurants, and is surrounded by shopping. While this is considered to be an “airport” hotel (about 5 miles from LAX), there is no shuttle service. The downside to our stay here was that my spouse & I suffered the same unpleasant digestive problems two hours after eating breakfast in the hotel restaurant (ordered from the menu & ate the same thing), which required us to delay our departure for our three-hour drive to our business destination. During this same trip, we stayed at the Marriott LAX, which is a much, much better hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Souris
Reviewed 22 July 2011

This hotel was ok. I found it interesting that for what seems to be a full service hotel, the bar was the only option if you wanted dinner. The restaurant was only open for breakfast and lunch. I was tired from a long drive and would have preferred to eat in the hotel but the idea of eating at a bar out in the middle of the hotel lobby just did not appeal to me. Breakfast in the restaurant was fine, quick service and a good menu with a fair amount of variety at fairly reasonable prices. I normally tether for a wireless signal when I am on the road, but neither that nor the alleged Verizon wireless signal worked in my room. Fortunately the wireless (free) in the lobby worked fine however. The hotel is approximately two miles from the beach, and there is a path from the hotel for running, walking and biking. I spoke with the concierge about bike rentals and they were available, but at $10/hour with a minimum of two hours, I decided to pass. If you have a car, self parking is $21/night. I did however get a terrific AAA rate of $79, so I'm not really looking to complain, since clearly for LA, this is quite unusual. Would I go back, at that price- yes, but probably not for anything more than that.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank SgFm
Reviewed 12 July 2011

We choose this hotel to be close to LAX the night before we returned to Toronto. I had arranged weeks before for an early check in so my husband could take advantage of the golf course. When we arrived at 1 pm, we were told our room was not ready. We were asked to wait by the pool until one was available. Normally this would be fine, but we had a three and four year old with us, plus our luggage. We sat around until everyone was hungry. We then ordered lunch to the pool. Over an hour later we had no drinks, lunch or room. Finally our lunch arrived, but by that time my husband had already been to the bar himself to get us drinks. Terrible service. By 4 pm our room was ready. My husband missed out on golfing during the day and my kids were exhausted and tired. After traveling in the car from San Diego during day, it was a lot to ask of them to wait hours for a room.
If a hotel cannot provide an early check in they should offer the option. If they cannot handle serving food at the pool, they shouldn't offer it. For a Marriott I was extremely dissappointed!
My husband mentioned to one of the managers our complaints but it was shrugged off.
The hotel is nice, the golf course is nice, the rooms are clean, but the service was terrible.
Lastly, for a room with four people they had one robe and only three towels. I am not a stickler for details, but shouldnt there be a towel for each person?

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank ErinandDave
Reviewed 12 July 2011

I have to admit I stay mostly in Marriott hotels and I normally book with my eyes close with Marriott. For the first time in over 50-60 trips with Marriott, I was very disappointed with this hotel. When you enter the hotel, the lobby is nice, with a nice bar, nice restaurant and a nice pool and not to mention a great golf view. The problems starts when you enter the room...Floors are starting to show their ages and the rooms as well.
My rooms smells likes old and feels old and need to be renew. I had a nice balcony with a golf view with no chairs to sit outside. Funny, simply no accessories for the outside. I had to use the desk chair to sit outside. After sitting with my desk chair outside, I was ready to use my IPAD with some Wi-Fi to enjoy the nice night. After looking for the hotel network which I wasn't able to find, I've called front desk to find out about the wi-fi name and at that moment, I've been told that the hotel doesn't have any Wi-Fi in the room except in the lobby area. I was extremely upset. Imagine, a marriott hotel, in Los Angeles with no in-room wi-fi...A first since a few years....They have network connection inside the room with a cable but you need to have a laptop. This isn't useful with ipad users...
Also, they charge 17$ a day for parking when mostly all hotels in the area, offer free parking.

I don't think this hotel doesn't deserve the Marriott name and I will avoid it on my future trip in the LA area.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
#1 of 9 in Manhattan Beach
Hotel Hermosa
Hotel Hermosa
#3 of 7 in Hermosa Beach

Been to Manhattan Beach Marriott? Share your experiences!