“A hotel under renovation”

Manhattan Beach Marriott
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Reviewed 10 November 2011

Although I was informed in advance that the hotel is under renovation, I didn't expect the renovation work to start so early at 9 AM. I was awoken by the hammering and drilling sounds next door. I didn't thought that the hotel would place me right next to the room that is being renovated.

The hotel's location is quite far from the Manhattan Beach. Aside from this, the hotel has a very nice garden. It would be a good family hotel, excluding the renovation works.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 October 2011

My son's wedding reception was here earlier this month so several of the wedding party stayed here on Friday and Saturday nights. We weren't pleased with the noise of the renovation but it didn't really have an impact on our stay. We interacted with several staff in the course of our visit and found every single person(valet, bell hop, reception desk, servers, bar men, housekeepers, parking attendant) to be friendly and personable. The food for the reception was both beautifully presented and delicious. Our only minor mark down is that the pool is not heated. Otherwise, it was a wonderful stay. We would definitely return here.

Room Tip: Ask for an even numbered room so you can look over the golf course rather than the parking lot.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 October 2011

We decided to come to the S. Bay for a Halloween party yesterday and since it's quite a drive back to the Valley- we decided to get a hotel room in Manhattan Beach. We were bringing our dog for the night so we chose this hotel because of the great rate and because they were "dog friendly". I have to agree with one of the other reviews I just read describing this place as a dump...it had a strange smell that lingered throughout the hotel. The rooms are unimpressive and dingy. But most frustrating was the $200 fee for having your dog stay the night. They did not mention this when I booked the room, or checked in...it just showed up on our bill under the door. So we paid $300 total for one night in this crappy hotel. When we complained to the manager on duty, Zareem Ali, he was beyond rude and condescending. He actually seemed to enjoy that we were upset (I am sure they do encounter this quite a bit)...all in all- a very disappointing experience that put a damper on our our weekend.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2011

I was very impressed driving up to this property. It has great curb appeal and impressive lobby area. Yes, they are in the midst of a renovation. The lobby has a lot of orange so I'm sure once they are finished, it will be just a gorgeous property. They placed us in one of their newly renovated rooms on the 7th floor. I thought it was very nice looking, very clean and comfortable. The new shower with glass enclosure is a very fancy touch to the bathroom. I know the renovation noise can be a bit much and thankfully, the water was turned on when we needed it as it was shut off when we arrived but didn't run into any problem here. I would highly recommend this property and can't wait to see what it looks like once they are finished.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank bondtk
Reviewed 25 August 2011

There was a jackhammer above my room and it goes 7 days a week. The room rate was attractive and they offered a $50 per day room credit, but parking is $21 which they don't say. The golf course is beautiful and adds a wonderful ambiance to the property. The rooms were clean, but sparsely appointed. No coffee maker, refrigerator, microwave, cups and ice bucket were so discreetly hidden, I could not find them until I inquired at the front desk. The hotel was okay and the staff was nice--but I was not overwhelmed and agree with a previous posting that the property feels a little bit below the Marriott standard which is so renowned. For the value, minus the jackhammer, I would stay here again, however. Bed was nice, room was clean.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 22 August 2011

I don't typically write reviews - most of the time you get what you pay for and I've come to expect that. No more, no less. In rare circumstances you find yourself surprised at a truly wonderful, or terrible, experience. In that case, I try to write a review or contact the management.

One of the worst hotels stays I've had in 25 years:

The room was dirty - no, it had been cleaned, just not very well;
The doors in the room were damaged. Not just scratched - large chunks of wood were missing;
The drapes had holes in them;
I asked for a higher floor room - even though the hotel wasn't fully booked, I was put on a lower floor looking over the hotel rooftop which had trash on it;
The room was dirty - did I mention that?;
The fan in the bathroom was so loud I thought I was staying at an airport hotel;
Room service trays filled with food were left in the hallway all night long.

Given the money - $200 per night - more with parking, taxes, surcharges, etc., I was absolutely amazed. There are several hotels in the area that are better for less. I was supposed to be there for 3 nights. After staying one night, I checked out the next morning (so I had to repack my entire bag) because it was so bad and refused to pay.

I would rate this hotel a zero if I could.

By the way, when I first started going to Los Angeles regularly (2 weeks minimum per month for 2-4 days), I contacted all the hotels in the area regarding a corporate arrangement. Despite leaving two messages for the sales manager at this hotel, I did not get a call back.

Room Tip: Try cleaning up the room
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank TB2445
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Great location close to LAX, the beach, shopping and restaurants. Golf course on site and good restaurants. Rooms are very nice and spacious there even was room for 2 extra twin beds for the kids. It's true that parking is expensive but it's the same everywhere in California. Not sure about wifi in rooms, didn't need it.

• Stayed: June 2011
#2 of 9 in Manhattan Beach
Hotel Hermosa
Hotel Hermosa
#3 of 7 in Hermosa Beach

Been to Manhattan Beach Marriott? Share your experiences!