“Decent Hotel but a number of issues. ”

Manhattan Beach Marriott
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Cocoa Beach, FL
“Decent Hotel but a number of issues. ”
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

Other reviews were spot on with issues with this hotel. The parking is expensive. The rooms are nice with HD Tv's but you get a low res image on all channels. The concierge room is nice, funky coffe maker. just got old hearing the lady tell everyone, many times that she has worked there for 17 years.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank G8ter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
USA
Reviewed 4 November 2013

One's options in LA are always limited by where you want to spend your time (and how much of it is in the car). The Manhattan Beach Marriott is surprisingly well located vis-a-vis LAX Santa Monica and has quick access to the highways.

The hotel itself itself is very uninspiring. The rooms adequate the staff pleasant but clearly the clientele is mainly business types, and (while I was there at least) clearly used as a small meeting venue.

The small bar/restaurant was a nice option at the end of the day but rather expensive and mediocre food for the value (but no surprise there).

Room Tip: All are more or less the same.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank centrepa
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Self-park: $21 (it's not like the hotel is located in downtown LA)
Booked a room for 4 people, got 2 beds smaller than queen size ($149/room)
Internet: $13/day
Bottle of water in the room: $3.5
+ non-friendly lady at the front desk
+ spider in the bathroom

They are trying too hard to be a 'luxury' hotel. It's just too pretentious for what it really is.

Room Tip: Ask for Golf course view. Despite the fact the hotel is huge, you don't get the view on the Golf...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Vil01
San Diego
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Hotel is very beautiful. Staff is very friendly and wonderful. Our check in was fast and efficient. Valets welcomed us with a smile on there face. Its nice to get greeted from the entrance cuase then you feel like home and the front desk made sure that we had the best stay ever. The only problem we encountered was that it took forever for the bellmens to bring our luggage to the room we waited like half an hour. Other than that the hotel has a great staff.

• Stayed October 2013
Jeff H, General Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
I regret that you had to wait longer for your bags than you had anticipated, I'll be sure to let the team know so they can avoid this in the future. Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience, I hope you'll visit us again.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Let me say that I almost always stay at this Marriott when in the area and am a Marriott Rewards Gold member, so I travel quite a bit and feel more than qualified to raise these issues. The convenient location and the golf course are great perks to this hotel. However, recently I've noticed niggling little things at this hotel that are inexcusable for the price you pay.

Examples are having only one elevator working at a time (this seems to be a chronic condition), leaking shower doors - I just about flooded my bathroom last week, nice high-definition TVs in the rooms but no HD service and no power outlets for recharging phones by the bed. I checked in last week in time to watch the first game of the world series and lo and behold, there is no Fox channel available on the TV? A truly annoying issue is that you cannot check out via the TV (the on-screen check-out function just does not work) and are forced to do so at the front desk. However, in the morning, there is only one person on duty at the front desk, so checking out quickly is close to impossible. Finally, $21 per day for self parking??? Give me a break.

Like I said, I love the location and the general quality of the hotel is quite good, but the value proposition is not there. Please fix the issues I've mentioned and don't allow these types of things to persisit.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank DA445
Jeff H, Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
I really appreciate your feedback, thank you for staying with us. I'm sending you a private message as well.
Smithtown, New York
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I had the pleasure of staying here while on vacation. It was not that far from the LAX Airport, maybe 20 minutes. My room was very clean and I had a comfortable sleep every and every night. The golf course was beautiful and fun to play. The 5 minute drive to the beach was awesome. I relaxed in the pool and hot tub, and found time to work out in a spacious exercise room. I had room service on many occasions. The food at the restaurant downstairs (same as the room service) was by far some of the best food I have had at a hotel. My complements to the chef on preparing a fantastic menu that delighted me each time I tried something new. The price of the food was acceptable to me; I felt that my money was well spent. It was not dirt cheap, but if you want cheap food then go to any fast food establishment. You want quality food without stepping outside the hotel grounds? Then call room service or take a seat at the indoor or outdoor seating areas. You will not be disappointed. Every employee I came in contact with at the Marriott treated me with the upmost respect and dignity that a guest deserves. If I had to bring a down side to this review, I would comment on two things. I would like to see free WI-FI on the entire grounds of the hotel (except the golf course). I have been to many other hotels in my travels, and have not had to pay for WI-FI on the hotel grounds. And I don't believe it is fair to make guests of the hotel pay to park their vehicle on the hotel's property. If those two things don't bother you, next time you need to stay at the Manhattan Beach Marriott.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Jeff H, General Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
I enjoyed reading your review, thank you for staying at the Manhattan Beach Marriott and for sharing your experience. I'll be sure to tell our chef how much you enjoyed the food. We've recently introduced new menu options. Thanks for your honest feedback about the wifi and parking. I hope that you'll stay with us again.
Minneapolis
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Except for my room not being ready when I arrived (well before the 3pm check-in time I should add) this stay at the MB Marriott was flawless. I stay here frequently on business and have always been impressed by the friendliness and efficiency of ALL the staff from bellman to club level concierges to some of the best front desk staff I've come across. However I have had mixed feelings about room comfort. Although they promise my pet peeve (no full length mirrors in the rooms) will be taken care of in an upcoming renovation, I've never had a visit that I could give 5*. This time I did. My room on the club level had a balcony and view of the golf course. I'm fully aware that this was one of the premier rooms in the hotel, and it made a difference. Bed linens were comfortable and crisp, towels were plentiful and room was clean and well maintained. In addition Raina, the host in the club lounge is one of the most helpful and friendly hosts I've ever encountered - helping me get wifi (even though I had no room number) and providing a guest room for me to change clothes while my room was being readied. Room service was prompt, well prepared and felt like fair value. Check-in and check out were quick and easy. The location is great - near the airport and walking distance to a shopping center (Manhattan Village) a local supermarket and restaurants and of course a view of the golf course. The gym and pool are a bit on the small side but cover what's needed. Looking forward to my next stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on back side with view of golf course are nice.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Jeff H, General Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Thank you for staying with us and for rating it a perfect stay. I'm glad you enjoyed your gold course view and am looking forward to welcoming you back.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manhattan Beach
Residence Inn Los Angeles LAX/Manhattan Beach
Hotel Hermosa
Hotel Hermosa
#3 of 7 in Hermosa Beach

Been to Manhattan Beach Marriott? Share your experiences!