“Good” 4 of 5 bubbles

Manhattan Beach Marriott
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
“Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Check in was a problem: I had made a reservation for 4 people, roll away beds were confirmed (by email) for a room with a king size bed (2 double beds not guaranteed), however upon check in no roll away beds were available (staff suggested kids to sleep on the floor). After some discussion with (senior) management issue was resolver and a room with 2 double beds was provided. New room was excellent.

Hotel was fully up to Marriott standards. Breakfast was excellent, special compliments to Antonio for near perfect service.

Being a repeat customer I will definitely be returning, however I hope that check in problems as experienced can be avoided.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Manhattan Beach Marriott. We apologize for any inconvenience that was caused during check-in, but we are happy to hear that the issue was resolved and that your room exceeded your expectations. We appreciate your honest feedback and we will certainly use your review to help maintain and improve our guest experience. Thank you for your compliments on our breakfast and particularly our service. We appreciate your review and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Korean first
South Amboy, NJ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

We spent 3 nights here and can't say enough about the staff. Everyone we encountered was friendly, professional and helpful. Have to give a special shout-out to two young men working the Concierge Lounge. Ricky Reyes was on duty Sunday evening (7/6) and was absolutely fantastic. Ricky went out of his way to accommodate us as well as other guests who arrived close to closing time. Kevin-didn't get his last name, sorry Kevin-(from Somerset, NJ) was also extremely helpful. On Tuesday morning (7/8) Kevin spoke with us for several minutes, answering any and all questions we asked. Both these young men were very personable and are tribute to the Marriott chain.
The lobby is magnificent but the remainder of the property leaves a bit to be desired, having that worn look. Updates are taking place but the smell on the ground level was gross. It was as if the area hadn't been aired out since smoking was permitted indoors. The fitness center is great but the temperature in the room on Tuesday morning was a stifling 77 degrees. We attempted dinner in the restaurant but found it closed. A limited menu was available in bar area. Housekeeping seemed to be hit or miss. Our Marriott profile requests extra towels. We had 3 on arrival-the norm-but were only given 2 when the room was serviced on Sunday. Garbage in the room was not emptied on Monday. Room was ok, bathroom nice, bed comfy, lobby, pool small but I don't see how this is a category 6 hotel in the Marriott system.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you for choosing the Manhattan Beach Marriott for your recent stay. We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our welcoming and professional staff. We will let our team know how much you appreciated their help during your visit! We appreciate your honest feedback on the décor of the property, and we will pass along your comments to management. We apologize for any inconvenience that our updates created, as well as the temperature of the fitness center. It is our mission to create a relaxing and comfortable travel experience for all of our guests, and we will use your review to help maintain and improve our guest experience. Thank you for joining us and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future!
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed here for a conference so I will keep this review to inside the hotel.

It sure is an old property and they could do with and upgrade but other than the lift they don't really need one.

The service here is Brilliant, I had problem logging into WiFi got it solved in minutes, wanted late checkout got it.....room service fantastic.

I write this as I dig into a sumptuous Classic Benedict....served by super friendly waiters.

The rooms are large with super large TV which has ESPN.....bathrooms are not and funnily enough don't have a phone.

I stayed in a room facing the Golf Course , it is pretty relaxing to sit in the balcony in this lovely CA wether sipping your cuppa.....

The whole hotel has a very tropical holiday resort feel to it....

Location seems to be pretty central, cabs are easy to find...didn't use any other transport so cannot comment.

If you are thinking of being in LA this is certainly worth a go

Room Tip: Take an upgrade to the room facing the Golf Course it is well worth it.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Anshuman A
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are thrilled to hear that you had such a positive experience while staying with us for your conference. We are particularly glad to know that you experienced the first class service that we have come to be known for, and that your WiFi issue was resolved quickly and efficiently. Thank you for your compliments on our breakfast, rooms, view, and convenient location. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again in your future travels!
Palmdale, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband and I just returned from an anniversary weekend stay at this property. We have been frequenting Manhattan Beach Marriott over the last ten years, however this last visit topped it all. Prior to our visit, we received an e-mail from Javier, room operations manager, informing us that he was aware it was our anniversary and promised us a memorable weekend...and that it was. In the e-mail, he also informed us that we would have access to the concierge lounge for the weekend which included breakfast. I was very impressed with the correspondence prior to our arrival, however I must admit I was not expecting the treatment we received. When we checked in to the property they gave us one of their nicest rooms with a beautiful view overlooking the golf course. Shortly after check-in while relaxing in the room, we received a call from Sam, the Food and Beverage Manager, asking us if we had dinner plans for the following evening, and we informed him that we had. He then proceeded to ask if we had dessert plans. I informed him that we did not, and he set up an appointed time to meet him on the patio where we would be treated to desserts and drinks. On that same evening, Sam and Wes, a Guest Service Representative, personally came to our room to invite us to dessert and drinks to which we accepted. Our first night we visited the bar for dinner, which was very good. Upon our arrival back to the room, we were greeted with gourmet cheeses and champagne. We thought this was very thoughtful. The next day we received a confirmation call from Sam for the plans we had arranged. Every step of the way,they were very attentive to details. After our dinner that evening, we returned to the hotel and met Wes on the outdoor patio. We were greeted with a blazing fire pit with candles surrounding it and a bottle of chilled champagne. After being seated and poured a glass of champagne, we then received chocolate covered strawberries dusted with cinnamon. They were fantastic. We conversed with Sam and Wes. They were so personable and sincere. They also gave us plenty of time to relax and enjoy the beautiful surroundings, telling us to stay as long as we liked. It was truly a romantic evening.

If you have never been to this property, it is a gem. The golf course creates beautiful scenery and every time we visit we feel we can relax here better than anywhere else we visit. Our visit to this property was flawless. The rooms are very nice. We love the comfort of the beds and the pillows! It is in a great area, with good restaurants in walking distance. The customer service was top notch. They did an excellent job, going above and beyond in every area. I would encourage anyone contemplating this hotel to try it! You will not be disappointed. Thanks again Sam and Wes. You guys were the greatest. We are already looking forward to next year!!

Room Tip: Get a room that overlooks the golf course.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Julie L
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! We are honored that you chose to spend your anniversary weekend with us, and thrilled to hear that we were able to make it both special and memorable for you and your husband. Thank you for your positive feedback on your room, scenery, beds, and particularly the service. It is our aim to provide an exceptional experience for our valued guests, and we are very pleased to know that we met our goal. We look forward to sharing your compliments with our team, and look forward to welcoming you back again next time!
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

This hotel is in need of refurbishing. We stayed there 8 years ago and it appears that little has been done to it.
the rooms are dated and without power strips. The staff was great and the golf course looked nice.
The rooms were clean , but time for a redo.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for returning to the Manhattan Beach Marriott for your recent trip! We are very pleased to hear that you found your room clean and enjoyed the view of the golf course. We are particularly glad to know that you had a pleasant experience with our staff, as we take great pride in our guest services. We appreciate your honest feedback on the rooms and power strips. It is our mission to create an exceptional experience for our guests, and we will use your comments to help direct us toward that goal. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future!
Laguna Hills, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

We discovered this hotel while going to a friend's concert in L.A. We didn't want to stay amid the grit and grime, so we looked for a property slightly out of the city and found this. It is absolutely beautiful! The staff is welcoming and professional, the grounds are gorgeous and you feel like you are in a tropical resort. We had a great view and balcony of the golf course and pool area and just loved it. Manhattan Beach is an upscale enclave with wonderful restaurants, shopping and the whole nine yards. The only thing we had a problem with was their pet policy. We called ahead and were told they did not charge pet fees, nor did they have anything posted on pets. Yet when we checked out there was a $200 non-refundable pet fee for our two pets. One was a Service Animal and should not have ever been charged at all. Needless to say we were infuriated, and ended up having to call several times to clear up the charge. But if you don't have pets, this is the place to go! We will return again without our pups next time we have to go to L.A.!

Room Tip: Definitely get a golf course view
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Margo M
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our beautiful, resort-like grounds, location, and particularly our welcoming and professional staff. It is our aim to create a comfortable and relaxing experience for our guests, and we are so happy to know that you had such a pleasant stay. We apologize for any confusion with the pet fee, but are glad that the issue was cleared up. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Los Angeles!
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I wasn't planning on staying at this hotel but because my flight on China Southern was very late arriving at LAX I missed the last flight to SFO so I had to stay at LAX overnight. By the way avoid China Southern Airlines regardless of the class of service or cost, I was in business class, the airline has no concept of on time service - my flight arrived 2 hours late because the flight from Guangzhou to LAX was waiting for a connecting flight from Malaysia. I wasn't the only passenger that was unhappy (if I find a way to rate this airline on trip advisor I will later). Back to my review. By the time I cleared customs I knew that it was impossible to get to SFO so I started looking on line for hotels at LAX. There were none available within close proximity to LAX at 9:30pm. I spent 2 hours trying to find a hotel online and even called a few where I had stayed before. I thought I had a room in El Segundo through Expedia but when I called to ask about the hotel airport shuttle the receptionist asked my name and when I gave it to her she said I didn't have a reservation. She also commented that Expedia does this quite often. I called Expedia who claimed I had a reservation even after I advised them that the hotel said it was booked full at 3pm. I was on the line for 10 minutes until Expedia admitted that I didn't have a room and that the hotel had been full since 3pm. I received a refund but I still had to obtain a room. I finally found the Marriott Manhattan Beach at $209 / night. This was a great rate considering a number of 1 star motels a little nearer to the airport were looking for $300/night. The only negative was that the Marriott Manhattan Beach didn't have a shuttle but since it is only about 4 miles from LAX and I couldn't find anything closer I did not mind paying $18.00 for a taxi. It beat paying $300 for a room in a motel a little closer to LAX that I would not normally even consider staying at. The staff at the Marriott were great from the beginning. I made my reservation online and called the hotel to confirm that I actually had a reservation after I had made it. The reservation had not yet been received by the hotel but the front desk manager took the time to call hotel.com and confirmed it for me. I took a taxi and arrived to find the reception to be very attentive despite the fact that there was an after meeting party going on in the lobby bar when I arrived just before 12 midnight. The hotel is on Rosecrans Blvd in Manhattan Beach and it is a golf resort with a golf course behind it. The room was clean, well-appointed and quiet. I would stay here the next time I transit or have reason to be in LA for business or just to relax. The hotel is within a few miles of the Strand at Manhattan Beach and there are a number of restaurants and activities within a short ride from the hotel. Unfortunately I had to take an early flight the next morning but it was painless walking out the front door into a waiting taxi and within 5 minutes I was checking in for my flight. I unqualifiedly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting LA on business or for a vacation stay.

Room Tip: I had a great South facing golf course view room. I recommend asking for this type of room.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at Manhattan Beach Marriott, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
We are so glad that we were able to accommodate you during your layover! It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your clean, well-appointed room and enjoyed a peaceful, quiet stay. We look forward to serving you again in the future, when you have more time to enjoy our hotel as well as the local area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manhattan Beach
BEST WESTERN PLUS Manhattan Beach Hotel
Beach House Hotel Hermosa Beach
Beach House Hotel Hermosa Beach
#1 of 7 in Hermosa Beach

Been to Manhattan Beach Marriott? Share your experiences!