“Disgusting!”

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Los Angeles, California
“Disgusting!”
Reviewed 21 July 2011

We weren't asking much; just a semi-romantic hotel near LAX to celebrate our anniversary the night before my husband flew off to Madrid for a month.

So we booked a standard room at the Sea View Inn. The photos on the website made the rooms look clean, modern and suggested, more or less, that we'd enjoy an unobstructed ocean view. Instead, we found worn, dirty carpet and a worn, lumpy mattress, located in a decrepit mid-century motel building. Their other properties, next door and across the street, looked much nicer and perhaps were the source of the photos they posted on TripAdvisor. They also appeared to have a full-on ocean view, as opposed to the step-onto-the-balcony-overlooking-noisy-Highland-Avenue-and-peer-over-and-around-the-rooftops-across-the-street-and-you'll-see-the-Pacific view that we had. When we attempted to complain, the guy at the desk gave us a verbal "talk to the hand." "Nope, we are fully booked," he said.
"But the view..."
"Can you see the ocean at all? Well, there you go."
He proceeded to give us a condescending lecture about hotel rates in Manhattan Beach, and 'what did we expect for 175 dollars a night?"
Well, I'm not sure. But I do know it wasn't dirty carpet, a lumpy mattress and a rundown motel. Next time, I'll stay at the Custom Hotel LAX for less, and drive the five minutes into Manhattan Beach if I feel like spending time there.

Room Tip: Avoid room 106!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Argos818
seaviewinn, Manager at The Sea View Inn at the Beach, responded to this review, 8 April 2012
Responding to your review, the photo's you added are of a basic deluxe room, not an ocean view room. Your complaints do not correspond with the room you reserved.
You reserved a basic deluxe room, not an ocean view room. At the time of ariving youask to upgrade and we are sold out of ocean views, why do we receive a total negative review for a reservation/room you requested?
Best...

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Whitehouse,Ohio
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Another great stay at the Sea View Inn.
Location,amenities and hospitality can't
be beat. Thanks to James and Brandon
for a great time!!
Brad, Beth, Taylor and Brooke

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank TAYTREV
Reviewed 21 June 2011

I had researched this trip for a month and couldn't find a better deal within miles. It was the first time to the area for me and my son and we were on a limited budget. I orignally booked two nights in a basic room, but after the first night we decided we wanted to spend the whole 8 day trip there. We moved to a deluxe room which had a great balcony where you could hear the waves. We had a corner room, but did not hear any noise from the street. Very comfortable room with kitchnette and clean. The maid found items we left in the first room and made sure we got them. The staff was what made the stay so great. I asked questions about local attractions and they would look up things on the web for me, even loaning me a map. We took avantage of their free beach towels, beach chairs and even bycyles. They even had beach toys for kids. If I ever make it back to the area, I will gladly stay there.

• Stayed June 2011
4 Thank shelleycrooks
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 June 2011

I spent two weeks recently at The Sea View I'm from Australia and travel to LA regularly.If you stay at The Sea Veiw and you are unimpressed then you are absolutely impossible to please.The staff are accomodating the building is immaculate as are the rooms and most of the rooms have spectacular ocean views.I was overjoyed with the manager James as nothing was a problem for him and I was greatful of an upgrade after staying my first week.The courtesy push bikes are a cute idea and a fantastic way to utilize the beachside cycleways.If anything I write this reveiw reluctantly as I feel The Sea View is a "gem" I'd like to keep all to myself but The Sea View deserves kudos and compliments and I truly can't speak highly enough of the establishment.
Thanks
Stephen Barr Sydney Australia

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank stephen_barr
Atlanta
Reviewed 6 June 2011

I was looking forward to staying at the Sea View during my recent vacation, but was a little concerned based on some of the reviews I read here. I booked an upgraded room facing the ocean, #206. It was huge, very clean with an ocean view and the price was less than $175. per night. The mattresses were excellent as well.
The hotel is in a great little area just a few blocks from the beach, with some nice little places to eat nearby. it is also only 10 minutes from the airport.
We used the bikes to ride along the beach and it was a wonderful experience. The staff were always friendly and helpful to us. There is even free parking right below our room. I honestly can't say anything negative about our stay there!
My particular room was wonderful, but I noticed that many of the rooms face towards Highland Avenue, which could be noisy around rush hour. If you are worried about noise, then spend a little more for a room facing the ocean on the opposite side of the street, like we did.
We really liked the Sea view!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank thestanman
seaviewinn, Manager at The Sea View Inn at the Beach, responded to this review, 12 June 2011
Thank you for your review.
You stayed in one of our Deluxe Rooms on the Ocean side which does have a nice partial ocean view. You can even hear the waves hit the beach!
Glad your stay in Manhattan Beach was a great experience and hope to have you back in the future.
Best,
El Paso, TX
Reviewed 31 May 2011

This is my second visit to this hotel. The hotel is not on the beach but is as close as you can get. In Manhattan Beach. You should also be aware that the hotel is a mile north of the pier. With that said the hotel is very clean, has great balcony to see the ocean and sunset (you have to pay a little extra). They also have free parking which is worth a lot in this area. We just take a cab from the airport and bring our bike, but they will give you a loaner for a couple of hours. There are a few close places to eat and drink. The staff are great, helpful and friendly. If you enjoy walking or running this place is great. This is a simple but clean hotel. Nothing fancy.

Room Tip: Pay for the ocean view, it's worth the cost.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank rogerdavie
Thank for all the kind words.
I agree, if you are from a place with no ocean view and for the $10 difference to have a full ocean view if there are 1-2 person visiting, the full ocean view Standard Room is worth the price at $150.
Have a wonderful Summer and hope we may see you again in the future.
devon
Reviewed 26 April 2011

we enjoyed our stay here. The staff were helpful and freindly.
The room was nice, but the bathroom was miniscule!
It did smell very strongly of bleach when we first arrived but that did seem to disappear.
Loved the free hire of the bikes. The beaches are beautiful.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tina B
seaviewinn, Manager at The Sea View Inn at the Beach, responded to this review, 17 May 2011
Thank you for your review.
We do use LYSOL CLEANERS which are the best on the market for disinfecting everything.
We;ll keep the door open next time to air the rooms out for you.
Have a great day,
#1 of 19 in Redondo Beach
Hotel Hermosa
Hotel Hermosa
#3 of 7 in Hermosa Beach

Been to The Sea View Inn at the Beach? Share your experiences!