“Couldn't agree more”

The Sea View Inn at the Beach
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Reviewed 4 May 2012

...with the reviewer who found himself locked out of his room at 11:00 pm and the totally unsympathetic response of the staff. During a recent stay my husband and I had problems with not one, but two rooms at the Sea View, and found the staff to be equally uninterested in our perspective. As the response from the hotel owner demonstrates, the staff is defensive beyond belief. How they have stayed in business is beyond me when there are so many other good places in the South Bay.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Daryl F
seaviewinn, Manager at The Sea View Inn at the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2012

In response to this review, we treat all our guest as family and nothing more as 90%+ of our reviews state.
There are things as locking yourself our of your room, breaking appliances in your room, or other such things, we are not responsible for and the guest should take responsibility for.
Upon your stay with us, you had complained that your reserved room had no ocean view, when you didn't want to pay the extra fee for that, but we upgraded you to an ocean view room at no extra charge. Then that room had no balcony(which we were sold out) and wanted us to upgrade this guest again and move an existing guest who is paying for that type of room to a basic room. We do not do that and will not treat our guest like that. We always give our guest the type of room they reserve and never treat our guest as you wanted us to do.
Our returning clientele is well over 50% which speak for itself.

There are newer reviews for The Sea View Inn at the Beach

Reviewed 20 April 2012

We rented 2 bedroom apartment (#508) for $300.
It is very nice and bright apartment. There is a partial ocean view from the balcony and from one of the bedrooms.
We stayed there with our parents and had a great time.

We checked out free bicycles and did a bike ride (they also have free beach chairs and towels).

Two bedroom apartment has a fully equipped kitchen so it very convenient to cook dinner and breakfast without having to go out.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank BOPOHA
Reviewed 17 March 2012

I came down for business, and was encouraged by my client, a Manhattan Beach resident to change my accommodations in Century City/Beverly Hills to stay here. On paper, it seemed like a good idea, given the morning flight home from LAX etc. On paper, this beach hotel is far more suited to my travel preferences than the cinder block chains or the expensive but soulless 5 stars.

After checking in, I was taken to the Staples Center to see a hockey game. Exciting stuff. Returned to Manhattan Beach and arrived just after 11PM. I had left my key in my room, along with all my clothes, computer, passport etc. At any normal, reasonable accommodation, there is someone in the office or night person/contact available 24/7. Not so here. The office was locked tight (this would be 11:10 - 11:20 I would guess). I called the number on the door, and was sent to a recording, which helpfully reminded me of the office hours of 7AM - 11PM. I left a message describing my situation, and reasonably expected a return call within the half hour.

This was not to be, so I drove up Rosecrans to Sepulveda and eventually found a room at The Crimson. Polite and disbelieving of my situation, the caretaker there tried to call the Sea View for himself. He was equally as perplexed as I that a hotel or motel or inn would not be reachable, and gave me both a deal and a non-smoking room.

The next morning, I returned to the Sea View, and realized the blessing in disguise. The place was a construction site, with hammers pounding and power tools vibrating dust from the ceiling. Nevertheless, I needed my bags and personal effects. The person staffing the office, when I told them I had called the office after hours and described my situation, said this:

"We do close at 11."

Duh. I got my stuff, returned the key, and was handed the full bill, no adjustments or a word of concern for what could have been a long night in my rent-a-car. Complete and utter disinterest is how I would describe my treatment. Personally, I will never set foot in this place again, and would strongly suggest you take extras when they ask how many keys you would like. My company and our personnel travel extensively, and will make sure that other accommodation in Manhattan Beach/LAX get our business.

Room Tip: Call The Belamar first.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
21  Thank Jqwadd
seaviewinn, Owner at The Sea View Inn at the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2012

Dear previous guest,
Your email was very informative.
You stated our office hours which are clearly displayed on our doors and in each room, as you acknowledged. Upon leaving the room, stating you left your keys in the your room returning after our office was closed. I really do not understand why we would be at fault.
Yourself and your business associate who was in a room next to you never said anything that following morning except that you had locked your key in your room and were unable to get in upon returning that night. I confirmed who you were, giving you another key that morning. Nothing was said beyond this...
You rented a room and expect me to give you a discounted rate for your negligence locking yourself out you say in this review, but nothing was said upon the time of checking out.
All Hotels, Inn, etc... are not open 24/7. The guest as all Hotel, Inn's, etc... are responsible for their room keys.

Reviewed 23 January 2012

The Sea View Inn at Manhattan beach was excellent, great room with plenty of space for the three of us, view over the ocean and the Fish Bar just down the road is a must visit. We'll be back!

Room Tip: We had a two bedroom room (508) right at the top but just one flight of stairs with car parking at t...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Mudfest
Reviewed 27 December 2011

Unbelievably great staff! My boyfriend and I booked a month long stay with them and everything was great. James, Brandon and the entire staff couldn't have been more accomodating. The location is amazingly close to both LAX and the beautiful Manhattan Beach strand (literally across the street). There's a great bakery and breakfast place next to the hotel, along with other great restaurants nearby. Once again, the entire staff is great and go way out of their way to please guests!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ZarqaaAlNuaimi
Reviewed 27 October 2011

Stayed at the Sea View Inn, Room #206, on Oct. 26, 2011, luxury deluxe queen room. Can't say enough about management and the room. Folks, if you want the Marriott, go there. This is the real deal of a beach hotel, quirks and all. The manager, James, is so committed to giving his guests a good stay. It's truly hard to believe the negative reviews posted here. We live in Illinois so have no interest in the company.

Pros:

Beds -- so comfy! Our sleep was great. The pillows are awesome as well. The ambiance is so quintessential old-style beach hotel. Very clean rooms, too.

Location! This hotel is within walking distance of all the downtown Manhattan Beach restaurants, pier, etc. We had a lovely stroll down the strand to an awesome downtown dinner and back -- we even saw celebrities! Safe walk and beautiful scenery!

Parking lot! Where do you get that on Highland Ave?

Yes, there is a sea view. It's not ocean front, but they don't say that it is. There are no ocean front hotels in Manhattan Beach.

Quiet -- this hotel is located on Highland Avenue, which is the major commuter route in Manhattan Beach. They designed our room (can't speak to others) to have the beds away from the busy street. We were not awakened by the commuter noise in the morning.

Lending program -- we didn't take advantage, but they do lend bikes, beach chairs, whatever you need. The management here wants you to be happy and return!

Cons:

You may have to pull your luggage across the busy street to get to your room.

There is no in-room coffee, nor any in the office, nor any within jammy-walking distance.

Summary:

Give this place a try. This is a locally owned property that is thriving. They truly want to make this an awesome place and we think they've achieved it. The walkable factor to the fun MB stuff is unparalleled.

Room Tip: Ask for the quiet rooms!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ohiofamily
Reviewed 18 October 2011

The Sea View Inn might better be called the Street View Inn. It's a motley array of six buildings, most of which are showing their age, on four corners of a busy street. My husband and I returned to our room the first night to the stench of sewer gas so we had to pack up and move all of our things to another building across the street.

The next morning we had to take cold showers and when we brought this to the attention of the attendant he quizzed us about whether we'd tried the faucets in the sink to see if there was hot water there. So we went back to our room...hot water in the sink, check. But still not in the shower. He came to our room and figured out that the Hot/Cold was reversed on the dial; it had been plumbed backwards! When we suggested that there should be a sign telling guests to turn the dial in the opposite direction he said a word that can't be printed in this review and walked out of the room, slamming the door.

We called the manager on our way home the next day, expecting a different attitude; but what we got was more of the same! He said we had hot water, the sewer gas was the city's problem, not his, and he was not going to give us a break on the price of the room. Then he hung up on my husband! In fairness, I have to say that the loaner bikes are a great amenity; but all in all, the Sea View Inn was a huge disappointment in every respect--view, maintenance, and management.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Daryl F
seaviewinn, Manager at The Sea View Inn at the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review, but we can not be held responsible for what happens in neighboring communities as broken sewer lines as this.
Regards to the Hot/Cold, I was actually the person you spoke with in the office and there are cold/cold directional lines on all showers/tub areas. On one end is a smaller line leading up to a larger. I fyou have trouble understanding the hot/cold direction, we can help you, but have not had any issues with this and asking for a discounted rate for what your reviews states is hard to believe.
Best...

#6 of 9 in Manhattan Beach
Hotel Hermosa
Hotel Hermosa
#3 of 7 in Hermosa Beach

Been to The Sea View Inn at the Beach? Share your experiences!