“So glad we stayed here!”

The Sea View Inn at the Beach
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
Smyrna, Georgia
“So glad we stayed here!”
Reviewed 21 June 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Sea View Inn for all 6 nights of our Manhattan Beach trip. We cannot possibly say enough good things about the hotel! The location is 2nd to none, rooms are fairly priced (we had a standard, ocean view room at $150/night), free parking, friendly staff, and the rooms in our building were newly rennovated.

We hope to be back in the area around New Year's. We will be staying here again if we are. We had a great stay and would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: I would highly recommend getting an ocean view room. We did. The views from our room were spectacu...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Kamhout20

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We stayed for a couple of nights this past weekend and enjoyed our stay. Reading some of the reviews we were concerned but really wanted to say close to the beach. I'm so glad we did. The room we were in was upgraded, I guess just a month ago, and looked fabulous, we never lost our room key and the front desk ever so helpful. Thanks for the use of the beach bikes. Loved cruising around.

With the rooms renovated, now is the time to stay - lol. I will be back in August for longer I hope!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly renovated rooms.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Andrew W
brooklyn
Reviewed 11 May 2012

This was our second stay at the Sea View. I tried to do the online reservation - the website states you'll get a call back, and I didn't after a week, so I then called the front desk myself. The guy on the phone was helpful, and even had our names from when we stayed the last time, 5 years earlier!
Check-in was easy. We were then brought to our room which was in the back overlooking the pool. My husband wasn't comfortable with the fact that the door to the room was in kind of an alley, and there were no locks on the windows (hey, we're from Brooklyn and we had our kid with us!) He just wasn't feeling all that safe (though the inside of the room was fine) so he went back to the front desk and they easily switched us to a room in the other building. He even went with my hubby to all of the available rooms and let him have his pick! The front desk guy (I wish I remembered his name!) even helped us move our bags. The room was a major upgrade as it was a 1 bedroom apartment - the previous room was one with 2 queen beds. There was a small cleanliness issue - some of the towels in the new room looked dirty, but we notified a staff member the next morning and they came right away to change the towels.
It does seem to be a little pricey for what it is, basically an upgraded motel, but honestly, you can't beat the location (right on the beach!), free bike rental, free beach chairs and umbrellas (these were a little worse for the wear) and a free bucket of toys for the kid to take to the beach...did I mention the beach is right down the hill? There's a mini-mart right across the street, so if you do get a room with a kitchen (which ours had) you can stock up on food if you'll be there for a while. The staff is really nice, and incredibly helpful, and had good recommendations for places to eat/things to do. Next time we're in Cali we're staying here again!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank schpidah
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed 4 May 2012

We stayed a total of four nights in late April at the Sea View Inn in Manhattan Beach. If you like Manhattan Beach and the Strand, it would be hard to find a better location. But the best part was the staff.

The owner, Hal, was there overseeing some rennovations, and he was absolutely delightful, as were Jim, James, Brandon and Jimmy. A really wonderful team -- very friendly, very helpful. The room we were in, which they describe as a luxury room, was spacious with a balcony that had an ocean view, a gas fireplace, refrigerator, microwave, etc.

We had a delightful stay. And don't miss out on the bakery right next door. Best cookies in the world.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Larry S
Grand Haven, Michigan
Reviewed 4 May 2012

...with the reviewer who found himself locked out of his room at 11:00 pm and the totally unsympathetic response of the staff. During a recent stay my husband and I had problems with not one, but two rooms at the Sea View, and found the staff to be equally uninterested in our perspective. As the response from the hotel owner demonstrates, the staff is defensive beyond belief. How they have stayed in business is beyond me when there are so many other good places in the South Bay.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Daryl F
seaviewinn, Manager at The Sea View Inn at the Beach, responded to this review, 6 May 2012
In response to this review, we treat all our guest as family and nothing more as 90%+ of our reviews state.
There are things as locking yourself our of your room, breaking appliances in your room, or other such things, we are not responsible for and the guest should take responsibility for.
Upon your stay with us, you had complained that your reserved room had no ocean view, when you didn't want to pay the extra fee for that, but we upgraded you to an ocean view room at no extra charge. Then that room had no balcony(which we were sold out) and wanted us to upgrade this guest again and move an existing guest who is paying for that type of room to a basic room. We do not do that and will not treat our guest like that. We always give our guest the type of room they reserve and never treat our guest as you wanted us to do.
Our returning clientele is well over 50% which speak for itself.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 20 April 2012

We rented 2 bedroom apartment (#508) for $300.
It is very nice and bright apartment. There is a partial ocean view from the balcony and from one of the bedrooms.
We stayed there with our parents and had a great time.

We checked out free bicycles and did a bike ride (they also have free beach chairs and towels).

Two bedroom apartment has a fully equipped kitchen so it very convenient to cook dinner and breakfast without having to go out.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank BOPOHA
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 17 March 2012

I came down for business, and was encouraged by my client, a Manhattan Beach resident to change my accommodations in Century City/Beverly Hills to stay here. On paper, it seemed like a good idea, given the morning flight home from LAX etc. On paper, this beach hotel is far more suited to my travel preferences than the cinder block chains or the expensive but soulless 5 stars.

After checking in, I was taken to the Staples Center to see a hockey game. Exciting stuff. Returned to Manhattan Beach and arrived just after 11PM. I had left my key in my room, along with all my clothes, computer, passport etc. At any normal, reasonable accommodation, there is someone in the office or night person/contact available 24/7. Not so here. The office was locked tight (this would be 11:10 - 11:20 I would guess). I called the number on the door, and was sent to a recording, which helpfully reminded me of the office hours of 7AM - 11PM. I left a message describing my situation, and reasonably expected a return call within the half hour.

This was not to be, so I drove up Rosecrans to Sepulveda and eventually found a room at The Crimson. Polite and disbelieving of my situation, the caretaker there tried to call the Sea View for himself. He was equally as perplexed as I that a hotel or motel or inn would not be reachable, and gave me both a deal and a non-smoking room.

The next morning, I returned to the Sea View, and realized the blessing in disguise. The place was a construction site, with hammers pounding and power tools vibrating dust from the ceiling. Nevertheless, I needed my bags and personal effects. The person staffing the office, when I told them I had called the office after hours and described my situation, said this:

"We do close at 11."

Duh. I got my stuff, returned the key, and was handed the full bill, no adjustments or a word of concern for what could have been a long night in my rent-a-car. Complete and utter disinterest is how I would describe my treatment. Personally, I will never set foot in this place again, and would strongly suggest you take extras when they ask how many keys you would like. My company and our personnel travel extensively, and will make sure that other accommodation in Manhattan Beach/LAX get our business.

Room Tip: Call The Belamar first.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
20 Thank Jqwadd
seaviewinn, Owner at The Sea View Inn at the Beach, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear previous guest,
Your email was very informative.
You stated our office hours which are clearly displayed on our doors and in each room, as you acknowledged. Upon leaving the room, stating you left your keys in the your room returning after our office was closed. I really do not understand why we would be at fault.
Yourself and your business associate who was in a room next to you never said anything that following morning except that you had locked your key in your room and were unable to get in upon returning that night. I confirmed who you were, giving you another key that morning. Nothing was said beyond this...
You rented a room and expect me to give you a discounted rate for your negligence locking yourself out you say in this review, but nothing was said upon the time of checking out.
All Hotels, Inn, etc... are not open 24/7. The guest as all Hotel, Inn's, etc... are responsible for their room keys.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manhattan Beach
#3 of 7 in Hermosa Beach
Manhattan Beach Marriott
Manhattan Beach Marriott
#6 of 9 in Manhattan Beach

Been to The Sea View Inn at the Beach? Share your experiences!