“The Sea View is a Favorite!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Sea View Inn at the Beach

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Sea View Inn at the Beach
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Manhattan Beach
O.P., KS
“The Sea View is a Favorite!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2008

My husband and I travel to the area several times a month, and the Sea View Inn has become our home away from home. For the price, you can't beat the location, amenities and friendly management team. If you're looking for upscale and uptight, this is not the place for you. The Sea View is steps to quaint restaurants and shops, not to mention a few feet from the beach -with views of the ocean in many rooms! The decor might be a little "tired", but very keeping with a classic beach motel. It's truly a little gem!

• Liked — Steps to the beach, great shops and restaurants
  • Disliked — Some rooms directly above the street can be a little noisy, but not bad
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BGBach

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2008

I so would like to be able to recommend this place but what started out as a great trip (my family was all in town from the midwest for my wedding) was ruined by the complete lack of professionalism I experienced from their front desk staff. I had seen some good reviews in my research but my experience at the Sea View Inn was far from great. To say they were completely disrespectful would be an understatement...I was literally in shock at the way I was spoken to by one of their staff members. When I brought my experience to the attention of the manager he defended the actions of the kid, in no way offering an adequate or even sincere apology for how I was treated. Keep in mind, I was spending thousands of dollars for multiple rooms at this place, it's not like we stayed one night. I've traveled a lot and never experienced anything like this. I couldn't recommend this hotel to anyone in good conscience and I would encourage you to look elsewhere. I have no doubt I'll get a sharp response from the management based on their responses to other negative reviews of their establishment on this site but I think that speaks for itself.

• Liked — started out as a good trip
  • Disliked — disrespect from staff- shockly rude.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank losangeles32
seaviewinn, GM at The Sea View Inn at the Beach, responded to this review, 17 June 2008
In a response to this guest (Bride of party)review, having her weeding party stay at the Sea View Inn. Everyone from the party remarked what a great time they all had first off.

We have FREE rental items such as Bikes, Beach towel, chairs, boogie boards, etc....All guest are asked to return each item before 8 pm each night and making sure you have your name checked back in at the front desk when returning these items. The young man (brother of Bride) checked these items out and returned his towels to the front office but laid the chairs by the office door not signing these in. Later that night after 8 PM, the front desk clerk called their room asking if they would bring these items to office that thought were not signed back in. Second hand conversation heard from the bride and she came storming to the office in front of other guest extremely upset making a hugh seen disrespecting other guest and front office clerk demanding an apology. All this just because they were dropped at front office door and not checked in properly.
The next morning when the Bride came to check out , she wouldn't accept anything but to have him fired when he was just doing his job.
Thank you again for all others of the wedding party for staying at the Sea View Inn and commenting what a great time they had.
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2008

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel. I think a little personal service goes a long way. Our stay was most enjoyable, Manhattan beach is a beautiful location, and the best part of it is the bicycle path that goes all the way to Venice beach and beyond. It is a great way to see all that the beach suburbs have to offer. All you need is a bike and a lock, and you are off. Fortunately the hotel provides both of them free, and plenty of them. I was worried at first thinking that we may miss out on bikes, it would have been a tragedy, but they had plenty, it was no problem at all. We had a major dilemma, on the day we were leaving, our flight back to Australia was at 10pm, we wanted to enjoy the beach for the day, but where would we shower and leave our bags etc, after the 11am check out time. We asked for a late check out but since our room was booked for the next day, we could only get till 12.30pm, which wasn't much better. But after explaining our dilemma to the manager James, he offered us another room for the day free of charge. That was a great personal touch that really made our stay in L.A. so much better. the beds were comfortable and soft, and the pool was a warm 29 Celsius. We really enjoyed our stay and recommend the Sea View Inn to anyone wanting to enjoy Manhattan Beach.

• Liked — Free wireless internet, free bikes, free beach towels, free boogie board.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BigBaldAussieBloke
seaviewinn, GM at The Sea View Inn at the Beach, responded to this review, 11 June 2008
Thank you again for staying at the Sea View Inn. It's ALWAYS a pleasure having great guest and helping out to make your stay enjoyable!
Hope to see you in the near future,
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2008

This quaint property is in a great location. The room and common areas are a bit tired, but overall the place is clean and I felt very safe. Street noise was loud, as the sliding door did not seal off and I felt every truck that drove by.

The free wi-fi did not work well; I had trouble getting and keeping a signal.

Stayed March 2008
1 Thank 82-ag
seaviewinn, GM at The Sea View Inn at the Beach, responded to this review, 26 April 2008
Thank you for your review.
Just one comment so all other possible guest get a answer with our rooms and wi-fi.
All the rooms you are commenting about have updates 32" flat TVS, NEW Paint, NEW Carpets, NEW Desk, completely updated! For the Wi-fi, we have a secure wireless Internet service FREE, not like all other hotels that charge you and UNSECURED. If the settings on your computer are not set for secured, you will have trouble but we can fix this.

Thank you again!
Cleveland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2008

I chose the Sea View Inn because of a number of positive reviews on Trip Advisor. For the most part, the hotel lived up to the reviews. The inn provided a clean, comfortable room that was dirt cheap for its proximity to the beach (about a block). In fact, it is the closest hotel to the beach in Manhattan Beach.

The room was clean and featured a microwave, refrigerator, ceiling fan and flat-screen TV. It did not include an iron or ironing board. There was a mysterious hole in the wall, but overall everything was clean and in working order. Keep in mind that not all rooms have ocean views. My room had no view of the ocean at all; it was in the building farthest from the ocean. The walls are a little thin, as I could hear a man snoring in the room below me. But overall the building I was in was quiet.

The staff was friendly, on the phone and in person.

One important point: If you're the kind of person who likes to be in the center of the action, the Sea View Inn might not be for you. It is on the north end of Manhattan Beach, and the pier and downtown Manhattan Beach are about 24 blocks away. It's a pleasant bike ride on the Strand, but you''re not going to get back and forth easily. If you want to have dinner at Rock N Fish or Towne or party at any of the other downtown night spots, you'll have to take a cab (which is about $6-8). The north end of MB is mostly populated by locals. Speaking of locals, the Local Yolk is next door to the hotel and allows you to charge meals to your room. OB's, also within walking distance, has tasty burgers. Nevertheless, the north end is fairly dead compared to the downtown/pier area. I felt a bit disconnected from all the "action" when staying here. For some people, that might be attractive.

It's true that bikes, chairs and towels are free to hotel guests. It's a nice perk, but keep in mind the bikes are nothing to write home about. I borrowed one that squeaked so loudly when I applied the brakes that heads were turning all along the Strand.

As you can see, the inn has good points and bad points.

• Liked — Free wireless ... I forgot to mention that
  • Disliked — Disconnected from the heart of MB
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
seaviewinn, GM at The Sea View Inn at the Beach, responded to this review, 23 April 2008
Thank you for your review!
One little added word, the small hole you mentioned in your room. Jan 2008, we have added Flat Televisions in all rooms and needed to relocate the outlets/cable wires and finishing up.
regarding our bikes are only 2 years old but take a beating being at the ocean from the salt air. We maintain them every 3 months, but you still can't stop the squeaks.
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2008

We booked this hotel after reading reviews here. There were some pluses, but many minuses. Overall, we were disappointed with what we got for $300 a night (tax here is high).

First, the area. It was 4 short blocks down to the beach. Very steep grade, even though it was a nice cement walkway. It took about 5 minutes, but far enough and hard enough to walk back up that our 5 yr. old twins didn't want to go up and down much. (Neither did mom and dad). So, we tried to carry everything in one trip. (Keep this in mind for elderly or people with strollers--impossible!) The beach was great, the view nice, and the Manhattan Beach area in general was great. The main road was quite noisy at night if you had your windows open.

We didn't see the hotel personnel much. You could check out boogie boards, chairs, umbrellas and towels, which is nice when you fly in and can't bring those items yourself. However, they wanted everything back by 9 pm. We were back at our room at 7 pm. and tried for an hour to return everything. There was a sign on the door that said, "Back in 5 minutes." We finally gave up and left everything there and returned the towels in the morning.

What disappointed us the most was our room. It was the largest room they had and fit our family of 6 nicely for sleeping. But, it was terribly outdated to the point of not functioning well for us. The entire place had very creaky wood floors. So loud that it woke us up if anyone got up to use the bathroom in the night.

Bath #1 was adjacent to the master, but also had another door to the main room with no lock. So, there was no privacy for the master bedroom. There was a clear, tiny shower in that bath and if you were showering and someone opened the door, you were exposed to the main living area. Not great when you are trying to shower with 4 kids hanging out in the living room. Also, in order to turn on that shower, you had to get your arm soaked, because there was no way to get out of the way of the spray. The shower door doesn't latch shut anymore, so they installed a latch on the inside to solve the problem. Fine if you are an adult, not fine if you are the mom trying to help your 5 yr. old shower. They can lock it and not be able to unlock it. Also, the water temperature was very difficult to control in both showers. The first night we didn't have any hot water at all. The next, the hot water came on after awhile, but turned cold before I could shampoo my child and had to rinse him in a cold shower. The fan only worked sporadically.

Bath #2 also had the hot/cold water issues and only had a fine mist going by the time it got down to a child height. Ineffective for rinsing hair. The light switch for this bath is OUTSIDE the room, which is scary if you are a child trying to use the bathroom or shower and someone decides to turn out the lights. No fan.

The kitchen was outdated and ridiculous, actually. There were hardly any items stocked. Cupboards were bare. There were a few bowls, plates, glasses, but nothing substantial to cook with, so don't try cooking. I made pasta one night, but had nothing to strain the noodles and no lid for the pot, so I had to spoon the noodles out. No dishwasher.

Nice plasma tv on the wall, but no DVD player in any of the rooms.

The furniture was very old and worn. There was a chair in the kids room that was so dirty, I wouldn't let anyone sit in it. The linens were worn and had holes.

The sinks and toilets seemed clean, but I noticed that the baseboards and deeper cleaning weren't kept up. Peeling old linoleum in the bathroom, moldy grout in the shower, missing electrical plate around an outlet--just not taken care of properly.

There were heating/cooling units in the individual rooms, but no central air or heat. There is a table that seats 4, but the unit sleeps 6. ?? So, we had to eat in shifts or try and balance our plates on our laps.

Overall, I think they would have a gem of a place if they would remodel. For that much per night, we were really let down. It's a nice location, other than the steep hill down to the beach, so it's a shame to not want to go back. I guess if they are one of the few rental places close to the beach that house larger families, they can keep getting away with charging a lot and not having to update.

• Liked — Within walking distance to the beach
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank D_JOregon
seaviewinn, GM at The Sea View Inn at the Beach, responded to this review, 22 April 2008
Thank you for your review, but it seems as if there are many unrealistic comments.
We have no room rate of $300.
We remodel our rooms yearly unlike most hotels. Regarding the blocks to the sand from our hotel, it's only 2 blocks and takes 1 minute :37 seconds to walk and that's a slower pace. For elderly, may be steep.

England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2008

We stayed at the Sea View Inn as part of our vacation, with other stops in Palm Springs and Carlsbad. I booked the hotel on the basis of the other Tripadvisor reviews and I was not disappointed. The hotel has a lovely friendly feel to it and the staff can't do enough to help you out.

The room we stayed in was bright and clean and the plasma tv on the wall was an added benefit. The rooms are in excellent condition and the view of the ocean from our balcony was brilliant. There was some noise from Highland Ave but the beds were so comfortable that we slept so well the noise never bothered us.

The pool was great to use and lovely and warm and we made good use of the free bikes, beach towels and boogie boards.

Manhattan Beach is a great place to visit and the walk along the ocean front is a must to do. There are great local restaurants like The Kettle and there is a Starbucks just up the road for that early morning coffee.

We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the area and we shall certainly be visiting again as soon as we can! We stayed last year at the Residence Inn in Manhattan Beach but this outclasses it easily and it is much cheaper too!

Of all of the hotels we have stayed in during our visits to USA, this is one of our favourites.

• Liked — The view of the ocean from our room and its great location for the beach
  • Disliked — No coffee making facilities in the room
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
seaviewinn, GM at The Sea View Inn at the Beach, responded to this review, 14 April 2008

It's ALWAYS a pleasure seeing new faces and extending our Family here at the Sea View Inn from all around the world.

Thank you once again for your review and until your next visit, have a great year.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Manhattan Beach
#3 of 7 in Hermosa Beach
The Redondo Beach Hotel
The Redondo Beach Hotel
#1 of 19 in Redondo Beach

Been to The Sea View Inn at the Beach? Share your experiences!