“a return visit”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Sacramento, California
“a return visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2013

As with our first stay nothing has changed about this place. So wonderful, relaxing, and lovely.
The views are so awesome as are the grounds. Only issue this trip was our golf cart went missing from down the hill. Someone else took it! Was our adventure for this trip as we always have one every time we go somewhere. It ended up back at our room and our neighbors cart was the one down the hill. Grin, grin.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are the best although a bit more in cost but in my opinion worth it for the views!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Derrick P, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
I'm glad you enjoyed your adventure and it didn't stand in the way of you having a blast with us once again. You know, I hear they're working on an app that will sync your golf cart to your phone, and include a "push-to start" feature. We're waiting finger's crossed ;-) Looking forward to your next great stay with us!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
kaneohe
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

This is a motel on a sand dune. Period. The entire experience was annoying from start to finish. Just to start:
1. The staff do not greet you when you walk into the distastefully decorated lobby. Instead, your eyes naturally look to a salesperson pitching timeshare deals. Be prepared to be ignored.
2. To their fault, my breakfast was 30 minutes late, cold and only had half the order. The clueless front desk person could not understand why a conversation about comping that, ah hem, $30 bagel-and breakfast, was in order. Thirty minutes late? Oh and the $10.00 per person charge to deliver that breakfast, late, cold, and miserable. Add that in.
3. The golf carts - nightmare
4. The self-closing pocket doors in the bathroom - really?
5. The restaurant on site, Kula's Grill. That gets its own review.

Stay at the place across the street.

Stayed November 2013
8 Thank rggKaneohe
Derrick P, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Although it is abundantly clear from the style and nature of your review that you felt let down by the property altogether, I always ask for more detail so we can work to rectify the issues our guests find displeasing. Management is always here to help resolve any negative experiences you have during your stay.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend for 1 night while traveling between SF and Big Sur. Our night here was the highlight of our trip. It was a pleasant surprise given I found this place through an advertised special rate, and booked it without much research. A brief glance at the pictures on the website and I was sold. The resort in person was stunning, but I was particularly impressed by the rooms. They were modern, spacious and comfortable. Also, the amenities on site were pretty nice - the hot tub was the size of many swimming pools, and having a personal golf cart is a very nice touch. Everyone we encountered on staff was great. I really wish we had booked 2 or more nights here because I did not want to leave after one.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the beach so you can sit on your patio and watch the ocean.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kitkat501
Thanks for leaving us the great feedback about your stay. I was happy to read that you enjoyed the unique amenities offered here at SBR, namely the golf carts and our huge jacuzzi! We'd love to have you for even longer next time! Please call us directly for the absolute best deals. See you again soon.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

wonderful for a quiet gateaway with friends or Family or your loved one.
It is amazing and so Close on the beach, you hear the ocean at night. It is nice and cosy.
A bit away from everything but super nice and a 10 min. ride and you are in Monterey. Loved every Minute of our stay.

Amy at the fromt desk was perfect and provided exceptional great Service!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tessa0309
Derrick P, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thanks for leaving a great review about your stay! I'm glad Amy gave you the great service that she did! We'll be passing on the kudos and hope to see you again soon.
Corona, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

If you're coming to the Monterey Peninsula and deciding where to stay, look no further. This resort is top shelf and misses nothing when it comes to service and amenities. But the main draw is the location. Spring for the Beach Suite and your private patio nestles right up to the sand with stunning views of a pristine coastline. Other benefits include: personal golf cart, nice pool & jacuzzi, fire pit on the beach and a great steakhouse/sushi bar. We're coming back as soon as time allows!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KL8RBYE
We are thrilled you had great experience and when time permits, I certainly want to see you here again! See you soon.
Monterey, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

This was our second annual reunion for 25 family members at the Sanctuary Beach Resort.. We booked 10 rooms and got a slight break in the cost. This place has something for everyone, regardless of age. You can play in the pool or hot tub, go for a walk on the beach , drive to nearby Monterey and Carmel to site see, or just sit in a deck chair and do nothing. PERFECT.The beach front rooms are more like one story duplex villas w/a sort of shared hall between the two. Ours was a suite and the other half was a deluxe room. There was never as issue w/noise that I know of. A suite comes w/a king bed and sleeper sofa. A gas fireplace and a complete wet bar and mini bar fridge. The bathroom had 2 big sinks, a tub and a separate shower stall. The deluxe room is a bit smaller w/o the sofa, but everything else appeared to be the same. Both had a little patio w/deck chairs . They are situated so you can't see one from the other. Very private. I don't know what the other room types look like, but I do know some are on the second floor so be sure to request a ground floor room if stairs are an issue. You leave your car near reception and have use of a complimentary golf cart for your stay. There is no restaurant here but you can drive your golf cart to the restaurant right next door (Kula Ranch) for lunch or dinner. You can order a continental type breakfast from the hotel for $10.00 which is hand delivered to your room. Saturday AM , 4 of us went to a little local café called Tico's on Reservation Rd in Marina, that I can highly recommend.There were so many of us that the manager of Kula's provided a breakfast buffet for us on Sunday. (please read my review of Kula's Ranch Restaurant) There is a fire pit on the beach which they light every evening at sunset. We weren't there at sunset but the management very kindly had extra firewood delivered to the fire pit for us later in the evening. Just call and ask. I did not use the pool or hot tub but my niece told me they were wonderful and there is a kid's pool which her little boys just loved. I did not hear any complaints about the resort from any of my family members.If I have a recommendation for the management it would be to improve their spa experience. I had a massage last year and I can say from experience the spa rooms are too small, too crowded and not at all sound proof, which is why I didn't make use of the facility this year. Over all, I would definitely rate our experience this year a solid 10 out of 10. I actually live in Monterey and cannot think of a better place on the Peninsula for a weekend retreat. Many thanks to the staff at Sanctuary Beach Resort. Everyone we encountered was helpful and cheerful.We will definitely see you again next year..all 25 of us!

Room Tip: Be sure to request a ground floor room if stairs are an issue. There are no elevators here.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
We are so happy to have had you and the entire family here for a wonderful reunion. I want to offer my personal thanks for choosing Sanctuary as your special location to host everyone. You hit the nail on the head when you said "there's something here for everyone...", a feature of our property that I am most proud of.

Thanks for your feedback regarding the spa, it was appreciated and we are taking that into consideration for plans of our lobby improvements. We'd love the opportunity to have you all again or for you stay individually. Contact us directly for the best deal now that all of you are our return guests!
Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

We stayed for two nights and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The hotel is in fantastic position so close to the seafront. Our upper floor deluxe room was not large but well-designed with a great little balcony and great uninterrupted sea views. It was so private. The in-room facilities including a small bar area with a sink and a large fireplace are a real bonus. It was really cosy and comfortable. We found the golf carts a bit of a puzzle. It is no real hardship to walk from the car park to your room. We used it only once just for a bit of fun!

Room Tip: Chose an upper floor room for great views and more privacy.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Derrick P, Guest Relations Manager at Sanctuary Beach Resort, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
It was a real treat reading your review and I’m so glad you left one. I’m overjoyed that you had such an amazing time. It always a pleasure reading reviews from such prolific reviewers! Please feel free to come and stay with us again anytime you’d like!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marina
Monterey Tides, a Joie de Vivre hotel
Hotel Abrego
Hotel Abrego
#7 of 55 in Monterey
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,201 reviews

Been to Sanctuary Beach Resort? Share your experiences!