“Upset!!!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Idaho
“Upset!!!”
Reviewed 22 May 2006

First off, when we arrived they didn't have any gold carts available for us "Because we had a full house last night." Like that’s a valid excuse! When you can't park your vehicle near your room, it stinks having to call to the front desk every time you need to get to your car, then go to the lobby to get them to take you to your room. When we got to our room, there was a bottle of champagne on the bar. I didn't remember anything about a free bottle of champagne but maybe I missed it in the brochure. The letter attached said, "Dear Mr. & Mrs. Beers, Welcome to the Marina Dunes Resort! We are honored to have you stay with us! Please let us know if there is anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable. Warmest Regards, The Staff of Marina Dunes Resort." Before we left, my fiancé and I debated as to whether or not we should take the bottle for fear I would be charged for it. We took it anyway and went home. Turns out my fiancé’s friend actually bought the bottle of champagne through the hotel and faxed them a copy of a note she wanted left on the bottle. Her note said Happy Birthday Danae, Have fun, love (her friend). I couldn't believe it! This "Resort" tried to take credit for a bottle of champagne that our friend had purchased for us! I was so livid that I called the manager who only said she was sorry and didn't offer to comp us anything! I had to tell her she at least needed to comp us the bottle of champagne. After some talking about the fact we didn't even get a golf cart and how much I spent for the room, she finally conceded and credited our friends account. I expected a lot more professionalism and not excuses from a four star resort.

• Stayed May 2006
10 Thank RobB8151

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Ipswich, England
Reviewed 21 May 2006

After a hectic few days in SF, it was great to relax at Marina Dunes for a couple of days as part of a tour of the Pacific Coast. The room we had was superb - although slightly spoilt by the noisy family next door - and the location ideal. We had requested an upstairs room, but there were none available when we arrived. We made use of the pool and had it to ourselves most of the time. The hotel gave us a bottle of wine after we told them we were celebrating our 25th wedding anniverary, which was thoughtful.

• Stayed May 2006
1 Thank Chris_Deverson
Pomona, California
Reviewed 14 April 2006

I just stayed at Marina Dunes recently with my girlfriend and from the moment we got there it was great. First of all for the people who complain about their service, let me say something. I have a feeling you guys werent being friendly with them, because they left me on hold on the phone for a real long time, and the service people cancelled the $15 restoration fees for each night. Anyways i got there and check in only took 2 minutes. Bellhop took us to our OceanView Jr.Suite and the view was pretty awesome.I could walk from my room to the beach in 2 minutes. It was great.Deck/Balcony was clean and so was the 2 chairs outside. The little area with the fridge and sink was real nice and convenient as well. Fridge worked well and kept my drinks cold. I remember previous comments saying their refridgerator [--[ but i thought it worked nice. And obviously you have to pay for the goodies in the basket and fridge. You expect them to pay for your dinner and aquarium tickets as well? The sitting area/2 couches was very nice and comfortable as well. Had a nice view of the ocean from the couch. Fireplace and both TV's work great as well. Alot of Channels. 70+ channels. The bathroom is great as well. Theres a his/hers sink, and a shower and a separate bathtub. The best part about the whole room is the extremely comfortable king bed. Their real big pillow is real comfortable.Guaranteed to put you asleep within a minute. This place is totally worth the stay. Especially for couples/romantics.

• Stayed April 2006
7 Thank kohrientrips
San Diego
Reviewed 10 April 2006

The Marina Dunes Resort is my favorite spot on the Monterey Bay. I have stayed here several times before and I just love it, I always return a couple times a year.

The rooms are beautifully but simply decorated with tans and greens. The perfect colors to just sit and relax. The ocean is so beautiful from this spot. It's a great place to watch the sunset!

The staff have always been courteous, friendly and professional with me. As with life nothing is perfect. We have had a few minor problems, but nothing that wasn't dealt with immediately and professionally.

The golf carts are fun and keep the property looking the way that it does. It makes things even more peaceful and quiet.

I don't mind paying $15 dollars back to the habitat. Over the years it really has come a long way and I hope to help improve it over many years to come.

I would recommend this resort to anyone who is looking for a relaxing getaway with someone you love. Get a massage, or hang out in the pool or jacuzzi! You can't go wrong with this property.

• Stayed April 2006
2 Thank More-Mila
Sacramento
Reviewed 9 April 2006

When checking in, I didn't really like the whole this side is for you people and this side is for time share thing from the very beginning.

I found it to be extremely annoying that the fireplace, which might be motion sensored, flickers on & off all the time. They need to get a handle on that. I was also put off by the appealing basket of "goodies" but you have to pay for them. Not very welcoming.

I felt like I kept detecting a lack of attention to detail and service at every turn.

My key to the jacuzzi did not work, and they did not seem interested in helping me with it. They said I was "at the wrong gate" (?) and an hour later after going back to the room etc, I asked for 30 mins extra so I could go back (I have a back injury) and they said "NO." I was pretty shocked. I really don't think they hire people from the hospitality industry.

That being said, the location is great, and the bed is cozy. The breakfast served at your door was very nice.

For jazzfest this year, I'm looking at oceanfront rooms or rooms near the beach, but I don't feel comfortable gambling on Marina Dunes. They need to get some things figured out yet.

Stayed September 2005
1 Thank TravelingPain
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 March 2006

Great place to stay if you want privacy and nature. We had an ocean view which I would highly recommend, also had no upstairs so it was very private. They only charged us 15$ for the upgrade. The staff was super freindly and the place was spotless. The fireplace heated the room efficiantly..the only complaint is that you couldn't turn it down and the room was about 100 degrees in the middle of the night, so I had to shut it off. Great location away from all the chaos of town yet close enough too..about 10 min to Monteray and 20 to Carmel. The golf carts were a lot of fun too. I would happily stay here agin in the future!

• Stayed March 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 12 March 2006

I booked a room for a Saturday night over President's Day weekend. Most of the popular bed & breakfasts and hotels required 2/3 night stays, which we didn't want, so when I found the Marina Dunes, I was quite happy. I booked their Ocean View Jr. Suite.

When we got there, another couple was waiting on a golf cart. They were threatening to throw a hissy-fit because the staff was mentioning the possibility that there may not be any left. I might have joined them given that I had reserved their most expensive room (I would have left and spent the night at the Quality Inn next door). After about a 20 minute wait, we got our carts, and off we went. Check-in time to room was over 30 minutes. Not good.

The room itself (we got 611-Suite) was nicely decorated, much like the photos. It was overcast, so it didn't look as bright, but that's ok. The view from the room was very nice, but the patio didn't look like it had been cleaned/used in a while. Overall, the room itself was in good condition though. The shower had pretty weak water pressure and there were some ants in the bar sink in the morning. While this is not entirely unexpected on a property that sits on sand, it's not what you might expect for the price you pay. The king-size bed was very comfortable. The TV sitting above the fireplace is too high to watch comfortably, not to mention it gets pretty hot with the fireplace on. There was only one remote for the 2 TVs in the room.

Overall, the concept was so nice, but I think the execution was lacking. While I didn't have the kind of horrible experience that others have mentioned here, I could see how that happened. But I can also see that the wonderful experiences people have had are possible as well. It's too hit-or-miss, especially given the price. I'm going to stay elsewhere the next time I visit the Monterey area, unless I start to see consistently good reviews.

On a side-note, we ate at AJ Spur's, the restaurant on-site, on Sunday after we checked out. I had eaten there once before, and thought it was GREAT. This time, the food and service were mediocre at best. But I tend to think that the restaurant is more hit than miss. The first time, I thought their soup (comes with all meals) was outstanding (we took the extra to go). This time, it was lukewarm and not what I remembered. Oh well.

• Stayed February 2006
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marina
InterContinental The Clement Monterey
Monterey Bay Inn
Monterey Bay Inn
#5 of 56 in Monterey
Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa

Been to Sanctuary Beach Resort? Share your experiences!