“Loved it”

GreenLeadersBronze level
A TripAdvisor Member
“Loved it”
Reviewed 9 June 2006

I absolutely loved this place. After reading the reviews, I was afraid to stay there, but the reservations were already made. The only problem we had was the noice. The cleaning people started cleaning the room above as at 8:00 in the morning and it was loud! I would recommend a top floor if possible. I found the staff perfect and they were very apologetic about the noice. I recommend it!

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Golden, Colorado
Reviewed 6 June 2006

We visited the MDR on a girl's trip to the coast, and it was fabulous. The property is right on the beach, with no motorized vehicles allowed near the guest bungalows (golf carts only). We booked a room with a 'dune view' instead of the 'ocean view' room, but we could still see the ocean from our patio (and hear it!). The location of the property was absolutely ideal for 'getting away from it all', yet it was also only 10 minutes away from Monterey. As for accommodations, Im not sure I would consider it 4 star quality, but it was super comfortable nevertheless. GREAT bed/bedding, but there was something wrong with the gas fireplace (it turned on automatically during the night), and the sliding bathroom doors would easily come off the track. Oddly, the hotel could not accommodate a 3rd person (no roll-away beds were available). All in all, I got a GREAT deal for the room, it was well beyond my expectations, and I cant wait to go back!! I highly reccommend!

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank lbindc73
Houston, TX
Reviewed 30 May 2006

We stayed at the Marina Dunes on the last night of a week-long stay in the area, and it was a nice romantic ending to our trip. We had a junior suite with a great view, so that helped. I can imagine that there are a few people that might expect more based on the price, but it is always going to be expensive in this part of California. The rooms are relatively simple with mismatched furniture (not an ounce of style), but ours was clean and had everything we might have wanted. The beach is spectacular, especially at sundown and in the early morning. It's possible to go for a long stroll on the sands, with access within several steps of our room (609S). Obviously, stay off the protected dunes. I would definitely avoid booking if you can't get a room close to the beach, and it appears that the majority of the rooms are not too special. We had no problems with the hotel management, but it is easy to see that they need a little seasoning to handle the expectations of experienced travelers. We did not use any of the spa service. After a long day in Monterey, we decided to go to the on-site restaurant because we wanted to minimize travel. It is sort of an upscale Outback Steakhouse, not really our style but relatively good. Too much food for an average person, but reasonably priced with friendly service.

I am sure that I would not recommend the Marina Dunes if you are a risk-averse traveler that needs to be catered to. The experiences described by other reviewers are easy for me to imagine, and consistency appears to be lacking. But if you like the idea of staying in a unique location and do not need to be within walking distance of Monterey attractions, this is worth a night.

Stayed May 2006
5 Thank David A
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 May 2006

We have stayed here at least 6 times a year for the last 3 years. NEVER AGAIN!! New management and poor upkeep have turned us to enjoy the coast of Cambria for future vacation. We are a young retired couple and we spend lots of time vacationing. We stayed here on May 25th for 1 hour and we checked out. Then we canceled our future reservations in June for 2 rooms for 2 nights! Their loss of about a $1,000.00 due to new management (Carey) just for June alone. We usually stay in 609 or 610 but this night they put us in a room with NO SCREENS on the second floor with our 3 year old. Masquitos all over the celing and other weird bugs that looked like ticks. The manager offered no answer and no apologies upon early check out. What used to be our favorite vacation spot in winter and summer has been turned into a dump run by a lady with to much pride over her job position that she wont budge for kindness. Beware of CAREY!!

Also last time it took over 1 1/2 hours to get a cart that was charged all the way!

Watching out for others!!

Stayed May 2006
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Idaho
Reviewed 22 May 2006

First off, when we arrived they didn't have any gold carts available for us "Because we had a full house last night." Like that’s a valid excuse! When you can't park your vehicle near your room, it stinks having to call to the front desk every time you need to get to your car, then go to the lobby to get them to take you to your room. When we got to our room, there was a bottle of champagne on the bar. I didn't remember anything about a free bottle of champagne but maybe I missed it in the brochure. The letter attached said, "Dear Mr. & Mrs. Beers, Welcome to the Marina Dunes Resort! We are honored to have you stay with us! Please let us know if there is anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable. Warmest Regards, The Staff of Marina Dunes Resort." Before we left, my fiancé and I debated as to whether or not we should take the bottle for fear I would be charged for it. We took it anyway and went home. Turns out my fiancé’s friend actually bought the bottle of champagne through the hotel and faxed them a copy of a note she wanted left on the bottle. Her note said Happy Birthday Danae, Have fun, love (her friend). I couldn't believe it! This "Resort" tried to take credit for a bottle of champagne that our friend had purchased for us! I was so livid that I called the manager who only said she was sorry and didn't offer to comp us anything! I had to tell her she at least needed to comp us the bottle of champagne. After some talking about the fact we didn't even get a golf cart and how much I spent for the room, she finally conceded and credited our friends account. I expected a lot more professionalism and not excuses from a four star resort.

• Stayed May 2006
10 Thank RobB8151
Ipswich, England
Reviewed 21 May 2006

After a hectic few days in SF, it was great to relax at Marina Dunes for a couple of days as part of a tour of the Pacific Coast. The room we had was superb - although slightly spoilt by the noisy family next door - and the location ideal. We had requested an upstairs room, but there were none available when we arrived. We made use of the pool and had it to ourselves most of the time. The hotel gave us a bottle of wine after we told them we were celebrating our 25th wedding anniverary, which was thoughtful.

• Stayed May 2006
1 Thank Chris_Deverson
Pomona, California
Reviewed 14 April 2006

I just stayed at Marina Dunes recently with my girlfriend and from the moment we got there it was great. First of all for the people who complain about their service, let me say something. I have a feeling you guys werent being friendly with them, because they left me on hold on the phone for a real long time, and the service people cancelled the $15 restoration fees for each night. Anyways i got there and check in only took 2 minutes. Bellhop took us to our OceanView Jr.Suite and the view was pretty awesome.I could walk from my room to the beach in 2 minutes. It was great.Deck/Balcony was clean and so was the 2 chairs outside. The little area with the fridge and sink was real nice and convenient as well. Fridge worked well and kept my drinks cold. I remember previous comments saying their refridgerator [--[ but i thought it worked nice. And obviously you have to pay for the goodies in the basket and fridge. You expect them to pay for your dinner and aquarium tickets as well? The sitting area/2 couches was very nice and comfortable as well. Had a nice view of the ocean from the couch. Fireplace and both TV's work great as well. Alot of Channels. 70+ channels. The bathroom is great as well. Theres a his/hers sink, and a shower and a separate bathtub. The best part about the whole room is the extremely comfortable king bed. Their real big pillow is real comfortable.Guaranteed to put you asleep within a minute. This place is totally worth the stay. Especially for couples/romantics.

• Stayed April 2006
7 Thank kohrientrips
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marina
InterContinental The Clement Monterey
Bernardus Lodge & Spa
Bernardus Lodge & Spa
#1 of 2 in Carmel Valley
Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa

Been to Sanctuary Beach Resort? Share your experiences!