“Nice place to stay”

Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Marina
Reno, Nevada
“Nice place to stay”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We were greeted with a smile and management was very helpful and accommodating. Our room and linens were clean. Breakfast was good. Great place to stay for the price. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Monterey
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We checked in early, so I didn't want to complain. And realized after reading reviews, this manger really doesn't care about her paid customers experiences. The bathroom toilet looked like pee was sprayed all over; the floor was filthy, not vacuumed in god knows how long; shower so dirty we bought $2 flip flops and the water goes from hot/ cold on moments notice; the pillowcases had makeup smudges on them, as if they weren't changed, or the industrial washer isn't working. They lock up the hot tub like nazis, so you can't take a quiet dip in the morning ( opens at noon!) I plan to file a complaint with the BBB due to how awful this place was. No point in trying to get my $200 back for a Saturday night. The only good thing about the place is when you are not there and walk to the beach across the street ( no views though). I think that is how manager justifies her awful management of a horrific motel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Sixnewcastles
Eldon, Missouri
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We got there very early,but they moved things around and got us a room right then,the room was very clean,especially the bathroom. The breakfast was good, they had my favorite buscuits and gravy and a whole lot more.We will stay again. Thank you.

Room Tip: be patient ,people tend to be noisy and slam doors at night, but that is not the fault of the Hotel...
Aliso Viejo, California
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Whether I stay budget or premium, the only hotel feature I require is internet for client communication/follow-up. I booked hotel confirming they have internet. Upon check-in, the clerk advised internet is spotty at best. Turns out, 'spotty' means extremely slow (which is OK for my needs) and cuts out every 5 minutes or so.

Manager said she'd reset routers and talked about how the weather effects the property's wireless system (the resort across street and Best Western next door don't have weather-related wireless issues). manager said that's all she could do and I informed that I will call Quality Inn corp for them to assist the property (property manager wasn't too keen on that suggestion).

Thank goodness Corp customer service understood my concern and confirmed "high speed internet" was advertised. Corp managed to get property to switch my room to a hard wired connection - why didn't the property manager do this in the first place (and no, that's not a room upgrade).

No honesty, no integrity here.

To be fair and balanced, the hotel is superb location and everything is nice per price scale the property competes. Throughout the internet experience, the manager kept a professional demeanor and was always professionally polite.

However, when manager changed my room, she said "I hope you understand..." I had to tell her no I don't understand as the internet issue is a known issue and the hotel chose not to do anything about it.

Disappointed and angry.

Room Tip: Ask for 'hard wired' internet room, bring an ethernet cable (hotel has no cables).
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Steve_O115
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We paid 90.00 plus tax per night for two nights for the July 4th holiday. You would think that for this area it's a deal, however, it depends on your experience. You may encounter some of the issues that we did, and as mentioned in some of the other reviews. I will begin with the Pro's:

Pro's
*location is great (next to beach and very close to Monterey and Carmel)
*room very basic but ok
*free coffee in the lobby
*free breakfast was good with a variety of food
*shower, toilet,and floor in our room looked new
* we were able to sleep ok
* ironing board and blow dryer in room
* Kula's restaurant across the street was good

Con's
*upon arrival, a stain that looked like blood on the mattress pad could be seen through the thin sheets
*on the 2nd day, our room was NOT cleaned by the maid (It looked like they started but left. The bed was partly made, but the pillows were thrown on the chair. The bathroom was NOT cleaned.I had to call for clean towels from my cell, not the phone in the hotel room. The woman at the front desk did not apologize about the room. She only said that she would tell the manager. Also, she expected us to pick up the towels. Fortunately, someone brought them to us that evening.)
*advertise high speed internet and WIFI but NO internet in our room and WIFI very weak (We mentioned it to the woman at the front desk and her reply was that she had the same issues.)
*advertise microwave and fridge in rooms-(They were not in our room.)
*telephone in room didn't work (told me that you have to pay to have it turned on-NEVER heard of this)
*coffee maker in room looked gross (we did not use the free coffee supplied in the room)
*breakfast room was so small that only a few could be in the room at one time- (We sat at an table outside in the cold, because there were no tables available in the breakfast room. The next day we drove to the nearby Denny's instead, because it was a hassle to get to the free breakfast. We didn't want risk sitting outside again.)
*you could hear every sound outside and in the room next door (lots of kids outside running on the third deck)

We will try a different hotel on the next trip.

Even with all of the CON's, we made the best of things and enjoyed Carmel!

Room Tip: Ask for the 3rd floor, as it's probably a little quieter than the other two floors. Make sure to...
1 Thank bboopgirl7
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We booked this hotel on our honeymoon through a booking site. Upon arrival the room was dark, dirty, mushy and it smelled. Not anything like the advertised 'quality' hotel you would expect from this brand. We tried cancelling our reservation, but the hotel did not want to accept our cancellation and made us pay for a full night's stay. We were very disappointed and will never stay at another Quality Inn again.

Room Tip: Stay across the street, the hotel is much better and the service is of the highest standard you can...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TomKrikke
New

Stayed friday 7/5/13-Saturday 7/6/13
walked in the lobby, the clerk was very kind and acknowledged me and my girlfriend, then she gave us our keys and we left the lobby. The room is gross, the smell is nasty, the beds were covered in hair like someone just had sex. I asked the front clerk if she can move us, she apologized and said sorry that she will move us immediately. The next room was wet, the carpet was wet an it smelled moldy everywhere, i asked for a refund and the clerk in the front lobby told us that the manager would further help me. The manager came out telling me and my girlfriend that i already booked it and i can't get a refund. I told her i booked it with them choice hotels.com website. She was rude and said that she is the manager and they are already sold out- so she couldn't ACCOMMODATE us in any way. There was other guest in the lobby that were complaining as well. The manager didn't help with her attitude being disrespectful, and her tone of voice. I asked to speak to her boss, and she said I AM THE BOSS, IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, THAN YOU CAN LEAVE. i felt outraged, she gave me my credit back, the main point is that she was RUDE. Can't run a business, she let people leave that hotel thinking they will never return and they will tell everyone, the rooms were nasty and loud meaning the manager was talking over everyone in the lobby. DON'T EVER STAY HERE............. WASTE OF MONEY AND WASTE OF YOUR TIME.

5 Thank Michael L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marina
Sanctuary Beach Resort
Ramada Marina
Ramada Marina
#4 of 9 in Marina
Monterey Tides, a Joie de Vivre hotel

Been to Monterey Beach Dunes Inn? Share your experiences!