“Wonderful stay!”

Monterey Beach Dunes Inn
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Marina
Reviewed 5 September 2013

After staying at several hotels in the Monterey area- my husband & I have found the ideal place! Our room was clean - staff was friendly! Only a block form the beach-hubby could rest in the room-while I could be on the beach! Have trouble sleeping- but was able to sleep- the bed was so comfortable and it was quiet! Next time plan to take advantage of the spa! Teresa was awesome- she shared so much information about the peninsula with us! Hubby & I are hoping to return next month & stay 3 days!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Monterey Beach Dunes Inn

Reviewed 4 September 2013

I have travelled extensively and stayed in hundreds of hotels/motels. This is by far the worst. There was no quality in this Quality Inn. Simply, it was extremely dirty, old and smelly.

The bed, chair and carpet were all extremely old. All were riddled with stains and had a musky odor. The sink had coffee stains in it, as if they had not been cleaned. The fridge was worse. Not only was there leaked food all over, there was trash and a horrendous smell inside. We quickly closed the door to that. The nearby coffee maker had rotting coffee grounds sitting in it.

The bathroom was no better. There was hair still in the bathroom and it all felt very dirty, not to mention very dated. Sadly the bed was the same situation. It was old and lumpy, same with the pillows. At least the sheets looked relatively clean, though they were very frayed.

That evening it was cold. We turned on the heat to be met with the worst burning smell I have experienced. It was terrible. So we had to choose to be cold, rather than deal with the smell. The overnight was not much better with lots of noises and just a general sketchy feel.

Honestly they should demolish this place. There are no redeeming qualities. I feel ashamed for the people that pass this off as a motel, let alone a quality inn. Take a look at the pictures, I think they speak for themselves. Please stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brian F
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Honestly, this is not the best place to stay for a vacation, but if I had only one day to plan my trip, this was the best place I could have got. I did like the location, it was not super noisy with the highway just next to it. My room was quiet and I did get wifi and good breakfast. I did not expect a lot from this since I did know that I was going in for a long weekend and I booked a day before the trip.

I could walk to the beach and we were lucky enough to see a lot of dolphins just near the shore. The beach is quiet and really very much accessible without a car (if you dont mind walking 5 min). The beach is really very clean and quiet and good place to do a picnic.

My goal for this trip was to relax and enjoy the outdoors than the indoors. This is the second time I stayed here and I do not have any complains. The amount of money that I paid is reasonable compared to some other hotels around this area.

Room Tip: If you have senior citizens traveling with you, ask for a room on the first floor
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Complained to the front desk because the wifi in room was TERRIBLE! It kicked me off constantly. She suggested that I go to the motel across the street because "they have wifi and lots of couches in their lobby." Talked to the manager the next morning. She said repair person coming that day. Hmmm. I asked about the lack of a microwave in the room as was advertised. She said their advertisement does not include microwaves in the room. (Hmmmm. Yes, it does.) what about microwave in the breakfast room? The only microwave is in the lobby. Hmmmm. Not exactly handy for heating up anything for breakfast. So good readers, be careful. This place has a lot of excuses....

Room Tip: Ask for room away from highway noise, on the first floor!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Texas1964
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night because everything else was full. The room was very dark the spa area is a pool the size of a bath tub and breakfast was served in a very small room. Bad coffee, bad service at breakfast bad quality of food.
The location is ok. Close to the beach. But you can hear the freeway traffic. It was ok for one night, I would not recommend to stay longer.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 17 August 2013

For the price we paid, we were not impressed at all! The rooms are small and dingy. The WiFi doesn't work worth anything. Rooms appeared to be quite run down.
The A/C didn't work.
The good thing was the over sized hot tub. It was relaxing after a long day of shopping and sight seeing.
There is also a laundry facility, but only one washer and one dryer.
The breakfast room is two hotel rooms modified to make a little breakfast area. It is small and cramped. Breakfast items included donuts, juice and coffee, yogurt and apples.
If you'd just like to get donuts and coffee, better to head to the lobby. They are available there and it's not crowded.
One other perk is that the beach is directly across the street from the hotel.
Best way to get to the beach is to walk through the Sanctuary resort. A great view to see the sunset every night.
Room was tolerable, but I don't think we will be staying there again.

Room Tip: Southwest room of the hotel has a view of the ocean (kind of). Good place to watch the sun set. Corn...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 August 2013

My name is lorie gregory me and my family came to Monterey for the first time We injoyed our stay very much the staff was great and the manager was very nice and helpfull in accommodating for me and my family. Im a hotel manager my self and know how it gets when you are a full house the rooms were nice a little small but thats because we had 6 in our room not the hotel fault, the spa my kids really loved that and the ocean was just a walk away very quit at night and just really injoyed my self i will be back and i will stay here again Thank you so much to the manager i never got her name but thank you and to the staff good job, oh and the breakfest lady she was awsome and so kind.

Room Tip: Bottom Floor is nice ill will be on top floor just for the view
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marina
Sanctuary Beach Resort
Ramada Marina
Ramada Marina
#3 of 9 in Marina
Monterey Tides, a Joie de Vivre hotel

Been to Monterey Beach Dunes Inn? Share your experiences!