“Dirty, smelly, small.”

Monterey Beach Dunes Inn
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Marina
Reviewed 31 July 2008

Mold in the bath was the biggest problem I had, it also smelled of urine. Beds were terrible. We moved to another property closer to Monterey. It was much nicer for the same price and closer to everything we wanted. The beach is within walking distance, but that was not worth the terrible room.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank KCTRAVELKansasCity

Reviewed 1 July 2008

We went to the Artichoke Festival and stayed here at the Quality Inn in Marina. We stayed in two adjoining rooms which were clean and pleasant. The only issues were other hotel guests allowing their children to run up and down the corridors laughing and what-not at all hours of the night. We were not very well prepared for the weather. We left home in 90+ degree weather and ended up at Marina where we froze. Thank God for the WalMart right down the street. The beach was across the street and behind a resort, not viewable from our hotel room. It's a little bit of a walk or a very quick car ride if you are lazy like me. Lovely beach, we went in even though it was cold, cold, cold. Our mistake on the weather thing, no reflection on our stay at the hotel. Might stay here again but I would rather have been right on the beach.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank Kardashsix
Reviewed 23 June 2008

This motel is next to the freeway, and I am sure the rooms near the freeway can get noisy. They accomodated our request to have a room farthest from the freeway. I was not impressed with the rooms. It is the usual motel decor and nothing about it was "modern" as stated in the description. Even the one picture posted looks nothing like the room we stayed in. The empty rooms with their curtains open all looked similar to our room. The worst part was the horrible "fake silk" polyester bedspread was too slippery to sit on. The room was ackwardly small and there was hardly any room to comfortable move around. On one side of the bed, there was only a few feet between the wall and the bed. The shower did have a curved rod which gave it a more roomy feeling but overall, the bathroom is tiny. The toilet started giving us problems the evening we checked in, and I woke up to a small amount of water surrounding it in the morning. We were planning on alerting the desk when we got back from our activities for the day but to our surprise, maintainence came to fix it before we had to say anything. I was very happy that I did not have housekeeping knocking on my door at early hours. We left around 10am to go to the aquarium, they did not bother us before then. The best part about this motel is the closeness to the beach. I assumed that there would be some kind of view of the beach or the water due to the proximity but the view is blocked by large sand dunes and a high-end resort. The short walk to marina state beach was the best part of our stay. The beach is absolutely amazing. The water was too cold for me but we did see plenty of people swimming well into the afternoon hours. The beach is very clean and not as populated as the beaches in los angeles and orange county. It was the best place to stake out a spot and watch the sunset. Overall I was pleased with the city of marina and it was a nice alternative to a more pricey Monterey. My experience at the quality inns is just ok. If the price had been more similar to what you find at a typical motel chain, I would not be apprehensive to stay here again. Like previous reviewers, it is ok for a night or two, but save your money and find a motel further from the beach for half the price.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Shoegal424
Reviewed 17 February 2008

I chose this hotel because of the location which was one block from the beach and right off of hwy 1. (About 5 Miles north of downtown Monterey) We went to check in and found that they were 12 people ahead of us in line and we ended up waiting almost 50 minutes to be checked in. The lady behind the front desk kept disappearing and had cuts on her face with no shoes on only socks. I believe she was clearly on some type of drug. After being checked in with a semi friendly front desk staff we came to our room which was very small but clean. They only give 2 pillows with a full size bed. We woke up in the morning and they had no caffeinated coffee available so I had to find a house keeper to get some. The in room clock was an hour ahead so I ended up waking up earlier than I planned. Not a very good stay overall.......NOW THE GOOD: The prices were under $100 dollars a night and the beach was literally a 5 minute walk so you can see an awesome sunset. The internet is HI Speed and free with a solid wireless or ethernet connection. If you stay here, do it for the location and not for the amenities of the property.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 31 December 2007

I chose this hotel as a last minute relatively decent price option for a weekend stay in Monterey. I had read some of the reviews on Tripadvisor and thought that most were a bit harsh. Nope. They were dead on. The room was small. The pillows were flimsy and the bed linen was a bit on the haggard side. The front desk staff weren't exactly mean but they weren't friendly either. I happened to check in right after a large group of forestry fire fighters (thanks for your hard work guys) had checked in so I don't know if the staff was all "check in"-outed but it just wasn't a pleasant experience. Even the continental breakfast was below what I would normally expect. It was nothing more than coffee, juice, donuts, and cereal in the very small lobby (no place to sit). All of that being said, the hotel met my need which was nothing more than to have a base of operations to visit the Monterey Aquarium (about 10-15 minutes away). I would not recommend this place for an extended stay.

• Stayed: November 2007
1  Thank javadrinker68
Reviewed 14 September 2007

If you are on business and need a place for the night, this is it. Very small rooms, no microwave and no fridge. The plaque on the door said four people could stay in this room and the maximum charge could be up to $500. I say WHERE and NO WAY? The room had 3 1/2 feet of space from the bed to the wall on one side and maybe 1 foot of space from the bed to the wall on the other side. About 3 feet of space from the end of the bed to the tv amoire and desk. And, it was only one uncomfortable queen size bed. There were only two pillows and they were very small pillows. We needed more pillows and towels and when I called the front desk I was told to "come get them yourself". Housekeeping did not refill our coffe packets and when we went to the front desk to get some, we were told that they ran out and hadn't ordered anymore. All three mornings, the so called continental breakfast was nowhere to be seen. The only good note is that the night clerk was able to direct us to a good chinese restaurant. Menus can be found at the front desk. If you are looking for comfort and are staying more than a night, find somewhere else to stay!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LSMac
Reviewed 3 August 2007

This hotel is located a short walk from a wonderful beach. My family spent thet day having a great time here. The hotel has a continental breakfast that was very nice and the room was very clean.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank imayork
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marina
Howard Johnson Marina at Monterey Bay
Sanctuary Beach Resort
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Marina
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#6 of 9 in Marina
SpringHill Suites Marina The Dunes On Monterey Bay
Monterey Tides, a Joie de Vivre hotel

Been to Monterey Beach Dunes Inn? Share your experiences!