“Helpful staff”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Marina
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Marina
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Holiday Inn Express
For context purposes I need to indicate that I spent a week (Nov 2-10) in California travelling around the San Francisco area. During this week I stayed in 4 different hotels/chains. As a result, some of my comment will be in comparison to the other three hotels (which I have not named in this review).
I arrived late afternoon so check-in went as expected: fast and friendly. Of the four hotels I stayed at this one and one other during this trip had reception desk staff that were more than willing to make sure my stay was the best that they could make it.
Like the other three hotels, I stayed in a room with a king bed. This one was facing the highway but I could not here the traffic. My room was tranquil. The room was also clean and spacious. I had no problems what so ever with the room. There were lots of amenities (towels etc.). The bed was firm, but soft enough to be relaxing.
The continental breakfast was what I was expecting, simple but ok. There were both hot and cold items. However, I was disappointed in the fact that the staff member working the breakfast could not keep the item stocked. As a result, most people we waiting for food.
All in all, it is a nice hotel and I’d stay there again. For the price and the quality, it was a good value.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Tobys_view

Reviewed 16 February 2014

I was not impressed with the late night front desk service I received. I booked a room for 2 on Hotwire for 108.00. Not a fabulous rate, yet OK. When my buddy and I made it to the hotel, they had us booked with a King bed. Hmmmm....not great. We asked to be moved to a Double Queen which was available since the hotel was no sold out. I was told us she was sorry, yet we would have to pay and "upgrade" of 50.00 to get 2 beds since we had a contract with Hotwire for the room they sold us. Wow! Since she was adamant and we were ready to get to a room, I paid it. She discounted to 40.00. Nice..kind of. I called the Mgr. Anna on Monday and she gladly returned the 40.00 to my card and apologized for the lack of customer courtesy from the night clerk. Anna made it right and I am thankful!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Blane W
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We enjoyed our stay very much! What a great place to stay. Close to the beach and freeway access is easy. Family-friendly and kid-tolerable which we really appreciate! Our kids aren't very quiet but no one heard them and the staff was nice and charming and full of character! Love this place. :)

Room Tip: Near the whirlpool was sooooooooo nice!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We made our reservations on Expedia, and arrived (from Southern California) at approx. 6pm. The Front Desk Agent was very pleasant and found our reservation with no problem. He asked how our trip was and letting us know about some popular sites to see while in the area. This Hotel is conveniently located near Pacific Coastal Highway--and just far enough and north from the Monterey crowds (it was between Christmas and New Year's Day, so there was a big influx of people from the Bay Area visiting the Monterey Peninsula). We enjoyed our stay; and the fact that our room was able to be upgraded was a very nice touch!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robin A
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Our family was attending a wedding that had events in Monterey and Marina. We reserved the two room executive suite for our family of 5 and we were very happy with the room. the two beds were comfortable and the living area had a sofa bed that was just fine. The room also has a kitchen area with a large fridge. The front desk person was very nice and helpful although he told us that he had given us a free upgrade to the executive suite which we had already paid for but we didn't correct him. We also asked for a late check out of 1:00 and he said he would put it in the system right away. We got a call the next day at 12:45 reminding us of the check out time and that there wasn't anything in the system saying we had a late check out. I stopped by the front desk as I was taking luggage to the car and cleared up the issue quickly but it was annoying to get the call. The only area this hotel lacked was with the breakfast. The staff was nice but was behind on everything. They had to be told that they had run out of plates, forks, knives, milk, and that the food needed to be replenished. There was also not enough places to sit for families. Finally, the hotel should make it clear that it is not appropriate for staff to smoke just outside the front door of the hotel...no one should as we don't want to breathe it, but for staff it is very unprofessional. With these things said, the rooms were clean and the area is safe and convenient. It is also right next to a Wal-Mart so if you have forgotten anything, you can walk to the store. It is any easy drive to central Monterey and Cannery Road and there are a lot of stores on Del Monte Ave as well. This was a very nice place for our family but they need to work on the breakfast. Because the rooms were clean, comfortable and quiet, we will give them another try.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank David M
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2014

Dear David M,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. It's such a great pleasure to hear your positive feedback on our hotel location and comfortable rooms. The Holiday Inn Express & Suites Marina is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. However, it seems that we were not able to execute an exemplary hotel stay experience with regard to the breakfast services. Also, please accept our sincere apologies for any shortcomings and negative impression you may have with some of our hotel staff. Kindly be assured that we treat these comments very seriously. Your candid feedback is important to us and we are confident that the hotel management will take necessary actions to improve our guest experience.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 17 November 2013

We did not know that this hotel is not a kid friendly hotel. How can you prevent a 1 year old and a 3 year old in making noises? The receptionist knows how, and he suggested to put the kids in separate rooms. Maybe he wants us to put one child in the bathroom... I definitely don't recommend this hotel to anyone who has kids...

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank fidelljf
Dev P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Marina, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear Valued HIE Guest,

I would like to start by thanking you for choosing Holidy Inn Express Marina.

I'm sorry that you experience was less than satisfactory with us. This is not a complaint that we typically receive and I apologize the miss communication proved to be an issue.

Our goal here at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Marina is to make every guest feel at home and welcomed while extending excellent customer service to all guest, corporate and family travelers. I do assue you I have followed up with my staff providing additional training on service recovery and communication skills.

Hopefully you enjoyed your stay with us and the hotel including the recent upgrades that have been made. I would love the opportunity to have you with us again so that we may endeavor to give you a better vacation experience.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

This was our second stay at the hotel on this vacation as we travelled south and then back north along the Pacific Coastal Highway. Our first stay received an excellent review.

We were unable to have the same suite on our second stay and had the unfortunate experience of not only having the room next to the elevator but also the drinks and vending machines and ice machine. Consequently there was a loud and constant rumble from the air con unit necessary to cool the heat from refrigeration units. Had our stay been longer than just the two nights we would have asked for an alternative or shortened our stay. I would never stay in room 314 again - ever. Such a shame as the room itself was very comfortable.

If I was rating the room only it would certainly be at least good but as it is combined with comfort the noise level brings the overall score down.

The hotel itself is conveniently located with easy access to Route 1 at exit 410. I would certainly stay at this hotel again but ensure that it was not in this room.

Room Tip: Avoid room 314 next to elevator and noisy air con
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marina
Sanctuary Beach Resort
Ramada Marina
#4 of 9 in Marina
SpringHill Suites Marina The Dunes On Monterey Bay
InterContinental The Clement Monterey

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Marina? Share your experiences!