“Wonderful!”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Marina
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Marina
Reviewed 8 August 2010

Large, lovely room. Great staff. Quiet location near a beautiful beach, and quite close to Monterey Fisherman's Wharf and Cannery Row, without the tourist hustle/bustle. Did a side trip to Carmel Mission, Julia Pfeiffer Big Sur, the Steinbeck Museum in Salinas, down the road to Castroville for fried artichokes, and was glad to return to our beautiful room in Marina. At one point, they were holding a Mary Kay party right next to our room. At first I was a bit concerned about the loud music, but then took my camera, saw the ladies having a great time, and it only lasted a short while. Because I called Guest Services when the noise first started, they gave us a lovely goodie bag and were totally sweet and sorry for the inconvenience. Really lovely place - we would definitely stay there again! So much to see in the area. Never made it up to Santa Cruz, but would choose this hotel for that trip as well.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 June 2010

I can't say enough about this establishment--probably the most friendly staff I have ever encountered in many a year. The front office personnel were just great, as was Holly in the Breakfast room.
The rooms were well equipped and extremely clean.
Close enough to all the local tourist attractions.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2010

What you have here is a standard issue Holiday Inn Express with most of the "hardware" in place. That's the good-ish news. The bad-ish news is that they seem to shoot themselves in the foot on some of the smaller issues...not just once, but over and over again. Their ability to mess up a different set of small issues each day is quite impressive. Thus I rate this hotel as a three star (which is low by my Holiday Inn Express standards...I will usually give a 5 star rating if a location meets all of the HIE standards).

The good things:
-Location is convenient to Highway 1
-OK place to jog around the lagoon
-Check-in was smooth
-Room is OK-ish...decoration or color scheme or something maybe seems a bit heavy but not too bad.
-Bathrooms are nice, but maybe some small signs of wear and tear need to be watched more closely by mgmt
-Standard free breakfast equipment is all in place (the counters, refrigerators, warming trays, etc.

The bad things:
-Inconsistent breakfast items...Seems the breakfast prep staff does not like to make bacon since I saw it only one time in 5 days.
-Some days they offer "plomelettes" instead of scrambled eggs. (plastic + omelette = plomelette)
-Only Lipton tea (although on the last day, four pitiful looking earl gray teabags appeared)
-English muffins appeared 3 out of 5 days.
-No breakfast plates the first day. Replacement plates purchased from Walmart by the staff for the remaining days...Wonder why they did not order paper plates two weeks ago?
-No margarine.
-Cold cinnamon rolls one day. (Nearly heresy in the world of HIE)
-Cookies in lobby only 1 out of 5 days.
-Newspaper not delivered to room. Newspaper only available in lobby two out of five days.
-Bathroom towels with grayish stains on two days
-If you take the room pen and paper pad, they do not replace it...ever.
-Yet they replace the slightly used soap bar every single day.
-Stains on the carpet in hallway (seems like bleach-based cleaners being used by the staff are the culprit).
-No water/goody bag on check-in.
-Mattress is one of those slightly bare-bones-feeling types. You can really feel the metal wires, especially at the edges.

So by now, you are thinking that I am a persnickety loser. And it's true that none of those negatives are really a big deal. For me the problem was the sheer number and randomness of the small negatives each day. It feels like the staff is not being trained to properly and consistently deliver the basic service package. Or perhaps the mgmt thinks they can cut costs by running things too close the the edge (i.e. running out of paper plates, teabags, English muffins, etc. and not replacing simple items like a pen in the room).

Would I stay here again? Probably not. I would give the HIE up the road in Seaside a try before reconsidering this Marina location. Again, it's not bad, but it's not good either. It's just good-ish.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thomasw98
Reviewed 9 June 2010

I had a business meeting at CSU Monterey Bay and stayed here for two nights since it was close to campus. I found the hotel very sataisfactory. I got a government rate (like an earlier reviewer) but had a great room a few doors down from the front desk (unlike the other reviewer). The front desk clerk was very friendly and helpful. The room was large with two beds, a microwave and refrigerator, and coffee pot. The window faced the main street, but the room was very quiet; being on the 2nd floor, I even had the window open at night. The bathroom was also large with nice amenities. The breakfast room was large and airy. The food was good, with an array of hot and cold foods; even the coffee was good! The room was clean and constantly monitored as folks left. I tried the evening cookies which were delicious and made the whole hotel smell wonderful. I did not try the pool, gym, or laundry. Parking was tight on Friday night, but I still got a spot.

The hotel is close to the shopping area in Marina, with mainly fast food places, and there is a Walmart right next door. The campus is a bout 10 minutes away, and Monterey is about 15 minutes away. There is a beach close to the hotel which was less crowded than in Monterey.

I would stay here again for business, as well as with family on a trip to Monterey or Carmel. It is a nice place, less expensive, and away from the crowds at night.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 April 2010

i booked this hotel for $100 (tax included). the rooms are big and it is located just a few minutes away from monterey. i thought it was a great deal. on the negative side, the towels, and sheets were a little stiff but i guess you get what you pay for. the complimentary breakfast was only so-so.

all in all, i would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 February 2010

Many of the Monterey hotels are old, dated, overpriced and blocks away from the aquarium, so we took a chance on staying here for two nights during our weekend family trip to visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium. I am so glad we did because this was one of the best hotels experiences we have had!

Hotel is in a nice location and is just a short drive away from the Monterey and Pacific Grove areas. The room was a good size and was clean with updated furnishings. The super friendly staff made the stay even more enjoyable, going out of their way to assist us with our needs. Fresh baked cookies were offered each time we entered the hotel during our stay. The free breakfast (eggs, bacon, biscuits, cinnamon rolls, etc) was a nice treat and helped save on food costs. The spa area was nice and clean and the free parking was also a plus.

I will most definitely stay here when visiting the Monterey area again.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 January 2010

We found the staff here to be very accomodating, polite and friendly. There is a work-out room and full selection of breakfast, which allowed me to stick to my new-years resolution of eating healthy and exercising. The hotel is a quick walk to the dunes and beach, and very close via car to downtown Monterey. The spa was clean, quiet and felt great after a long walk on the beach. I will stay here every time I come to Monterey!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marina
Sanctuary Beach Resort
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#6 of 9 in Marina
Holiday Inn Express @ Monterey Bay

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Marina? Share your experiences!