“Thinking back to our stay”

Howard Johnson Marina at Monterey Bay
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Marina
“Thinking back to our stay”
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

In june 2013 we stayed here 1 night. Really enjoyed our stay. From all the accomodations we had this was best value for money. Clean large rooms. Sincere interested personell at the desk. Other businesess can learn from this costomer service and customer oriented staff. Although nothing out of the extraordinary happened. We just felt welcome. Great starting point for travelling highway 1.Thank you for this moment on a great journey to your country.

• Stayed June 2013
Terry B, Owner at Howard Johnson Marina at Monterey Bay, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Thank you ever so much for staying with us and taking the time to write a review. Our team is genuine to the core and try their very best to serve you our customer. We have a special property for travelers and are located in a very special place, the Monterey Peninsula. Again thank you for staying with us at our Howard Johnson Marina and we hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Stockton, California
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Room was big, clean, and had free WiFi. Staff was so nice, friendly, and made you feel very welcomed. Really nice breakfast (plenty of food choices). I will definitely stay here again when in the Monterey area.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Rick G
Terry B, Owner at Howard Johnson Marina at Monterey Bay, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Thank you for writing a review. As you have noted we have big clean rooms and a good breakfast. Our location has great access to all of the Monterey peninsula venues Skydiving, Diving , Wine tasting, the Aquarium or just taking a walk on the beach. Thank you for staying with us at our Howard Johnson Marina.
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

I was road tripping with my girlfriend, and we were looking everywhere for a place to sleep, after a nine hour drive from SoCal. After reading so many reviews, we luckily found this motel. What we liked most about our experience was that it was safe at night, and when we left early in the morning, there was a complimentary continental breakfast waiting for us. The sweet lady who runs the place told us to check out Big Sur, which was really close by, and totally worth seeing if you're in town.

I seriously recommend staying here, and will come again on my drive back to SoCal!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Terry B, Owner at Howard Johnson Marina at Monterey Bay, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
When one of our customers gives us a "Best in neighborhood" it makes us happy. When we hear they had a great stay and enjoyed the breakfast it makes our day. We hope you enjoyed Big Sur. We have so many great sights to see that are close to our Howard Johnson Marina at Monterey Bay. We sell tickets to the Monterey Bay Aquarium that give you 2 days for the price of one. So on your return trip try an Aquarium visit. Thank you for staying with us and writing a great review.
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I was on vacation with my husband, and this motel was one of the best ones I've been to. The staff was very knowledgable and the owners went out of their way to accommodate me and my husband. Our room was perfect, and the temperature control was easy to use, not to mention comfortable. My hubby are planning our next trip for spring, and we are definitely coming back here. Unparalleled customer care! Thank you!

• Stayed October 2013
Terry B, Owner at Howard Johnson Marina at Monterey Bay, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
First and foremost thank you for staying with us. Our team brings clean comfort and value to our guests. We hope to see you again soon.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I have been travelling all over California for the past 5 weeks and yet I found myself coming back to Hojo Marina because I was really made to feel at home. The rooms look new and the breakfasts are amazing. There is a rest selection of food for breakfast including protein not just cheap carbs and bad coffee like most other places. The rooms are extra clean ... Linen and towels are always fresh. What impressed me most was Sarah's (the manager) perfectionist attitude and that of her team. Sarah seems to really care about her guests and the time they have at her hotel. I found myself commuting up to 2 hours back and forth because I liked staying there so much. I honestly found nothing bad about my 14 days stay at HoJo Marina and anything minor I mentioned to Sarah was immediately actioned. Highly recommend and the best value in California in my opinion. The reviews are justified! Well worth going out of your way to stay there ... you won't be sorry! Highly recommended! :-)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Thank you ever so much. “ABSOLUTE BEST HoJo is California!” we think so but to hear a customer say it, well that is terrific. Yes Sarah is a perfectionist, she wants it right every time for our guests. Thank you very much for staying with us at our Howard Johnson Marina at Monterey Bay. Thank for posting some great pictures.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 14 November 2013

There are problems here--this is not a normal motel and they do not have staff at front desk even in the middle of the morning some times. You might wait hours to talk to someone. Also this is a cold area and they are cheap on the heat in the rooms--the heaters don't put out much.

ON the upside, the rooms are nice, spacious. The breakfast is pretty decent--not just rolls and coffee. .

But its pretty unprofessional to not have a front desk manned at least from 7am to 10pm, and they do not.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Terry B, Owner at Howard Johnson Marina at Monterey Bay, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Thank you for writing a review. You highlighted something that we have not covered. We are going to hang a sign in the lobby when our lobby personnel has gone out of the lobby (typically to help a customer) advising the customer to check ask Minimart cashier for help. We do have coverage from 5:30am to 10:30pm. I am very sorry that we did not communicate properly to you.
Additionally each room has a heat pump that is very environmentally friendly but not very responsive (they more than make the room warm but take time). During these cooler months we will make sure that extra blankets or comforters are available. I am very sorry that you did not have a comfortable stay with us and that your service was not satisfactory.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marina
Sanctuary Beach Resort
Lone Oak Lodge
Lone Oak Lodge
#3 of 55 in Monterey
Monterey Tides, a Joie de Vivre hotel

Been to Howard Johnson Marina at Monterey Bay? Share your experiences!