“Not a good choice”

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Marina
Victoria, Canada
“Not a good choice”
Reviewed 25 March 2013

I will say up front that we did not actually stay here. We checked in but after looking at two rooms, asked for a refund and went elsewhere. The big street sign advertises ALL NEW ROOMS! so we thought it might be worth a try. Both rooms we looked at were shabby. The beds had "body dips" and must have been well used. Not a nice smell. No problem getting our refund, but the office staff were evasive and untruthful when we asked about the "all new rooms". Lots of excuses about ongoing renovations. We went to the Quality Inn down the road and got a nice clean room, only $10 more than Motel 6 were charging.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 Monterey - Marina, responded to this review, 14 April 2013
Dear Guest,

We apologize for the unsatisfactory room conditions you encountered on your recent visit. The room condition you described is not consistent with our standard for quality at Motel 6, and we’re very sorry that you didn’t stay with us as a result. Thank you for your review; we take your feedback very seriously and will take it into account as we work to improve our guests’ experience with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 February 2013

The hotel is in a good location. Right next to a Denny's and a block away from a Walmart. Typical motel 6 room very plain, But clean Bed was comfortable, One thing that drive me crazy about motel 6 is the noise of other guest. Smoking outside running down the halls etc... That is not the hotel fault. Staff was friendly.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Kevln-jennifer
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed 30 October 2012 via mobile

Great place if you just want a clean place to stay. The room seemed completely new. Very clean. I didn't spend much time in the room our the hotel so it worked out well. I'm sure my wife would have been pleased with the cleanliness and condition of the place too.

• Stayed October 2012
san diego
Reviewed 4 October 2012

I travel with my dogs so I'm looking for dog friendly motels that are in my price range. My cousins and I decided to have a reunion in Monterey where we grew up. She usually stays in Motel 6 on Fremont but she said the rooms were smaller than the one in Marina. So the three of us met in Marina. My cousin also has 2 dogs plus a bird and my other cousin didn't have any pets. She had to wait 3 hrs. for a room and I had to wait also. We did reserve these rooms early and still had to wait. My room wasn't even cleaned. Finally they moved me to a clean room a little bit later. The toilet paper is so thin if you blow your nose you leave bits of paper on your face. Don't even think about using it for what it's really for. We left to have something to eat, I get back and can't get into my room. Because they moved me but never changed the room number in the computer so it appears that I didn't pay. Back to the office to resolve this issue. The next day the same thing. Got locked out, again. What the heck is going on?? I don't really know but it's annoying to keep running to the office to figure it out. My cousin's bill had my name on it which was annoying as well. When they cleaned the room I didn't get all the towels I needed. The showers were good and hot. The beach at marina wasn't dog friendly so you couldn't take the dogs there. They had a special spot for the dogs to use the bathroom. That was ok. Nice courtyard to relax and visit with your traveler companions. They do not have a time line for check in, I was told...but they certainly have a check out time.?? I don't believe reservations made any difference, because we still had to wait a very long time for the supposed reserved room.

Room Tip: If you have pets make sure you get a ground level room and don't forget to bring your own soap a...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank kingsizemama
Reviewed 5 September 2012

So I noticed a lot of ill reviews about this place and I think everyone needs to take it easy. You pretty much get what you pay for. I stayed to tonight and it was well worth it. After driving all day we stopped here for two reasons, because motel 6 is always pet friendly and we always travel with our dog and it was by far the most inexpensive motel around. For sixty bucks we got a bed, shower and tv, this is all we needed. You can't expect to much from a motel 6 but they always get the job done. I never mess with making a reservation and I never have a problem getting a room. So for the pet friendly traveler on a budget, this is a perfect place for a comfortable nights sleep. Safe travels!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank CueTheDangerMusic
Anaheim, California
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We arrived around 9pm without a reservation. It took about 20 minutes to check in. They give you the towels and soap at the front desk. As I was being checked in, the lady kept rubbing my towel back and forth on the dirty desk totally unaware she was making my towel so dirty. I had to ask for another towel. The room however was clean. There are definitely no frills to this hotel, just a bed and bathroom basically.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank TravelingFamily81
Riverside, California
Reviewed 22 August 2012

First off there are NO microwaves or fridges in any room. There is barely towels, which are more like sandpaper. I actually got scratched by the washcloth. Your room MAY be ready by 5 pm, but sometimes it may be closer to 10pm. Reservations are a joke. The motel people tell you to reserve through them, the 800 phone line tells you to never reserve at the motel as they easily can screw it up. When we started to use this motel in the early 90's, it was fine. It has steadily gone downhill in the last 5 years. Some of the staff is fine, but some act like they are doing you a favor just checking you in. Warning...just because you have a reservation number, call the 800 number and confirm. My reservation was canceled somehow by their computer, and if I hadn't called to confirm I wouldn't have discovered this until I got there this August (2012). And most weekends during the summer the rooms are now over $100 a night...not worth it by any means.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mike T

Travellers are raving about these Marina hotels