“Nice location, great staff, thin walls & ceilings”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Comfort Inn

Comfort Inn
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Marina
El Cajon, California
“Nice location, great staff, thin walls & ceilings”
Reviewed 28 July 2009

Check-in was quick and easy.
Staff pleasant and helpful.
I arrived a bit early and room wasn't quite ready. They had a full house the previous night and the staff was scramblin' to get things done. Went for a quick drive to Marina Beach.
Busy, busy time of year with families runnin' around.
Hotel is near a somewhat residential area.
Walmart Superstore is right across the street, but I have to admit, that it was quiet and associated traffic wasn't too bad.
The Marina Beach is just across Hwy 101 - walking distance. Very nice.
The pricing was a bit higher than what I'd like to pay for a hotel like this, but...it's is prime season. Cheaper than Monterey and Santa Cruz.
The walls and ceilings were on the thin side, but having a habit of packing ear plugs makes it bearable.
The upstairs room window mounted air conditioning unit turning on and off reverberates to the rooms above and below. Kind of annoying...again, the earplugs came in handy.
The bed was comfortable - king size.
Room had mini-fridge and microwave.
Soap, shampoo, conditioner, blow dryer.
Parking is well lit.
Computer/business center in lobby.
Lobby has fireplace.
Continental breakfast provided - we skipped this since it was so busy.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Port Townsend, WA
Reviewed 16 February 2009

The walls are so thin I could hear the next room's conversation. The first night in the room my neighbor was using his Nextel phone and I could here him key in his mike. The staff was helpful and at my request relocated me to an end unit. Unfortunately there was a group of friends having a conversation next door, at a normal conversational level, and I heard them so clear I could have joined in.
Not a place to go if you desire a good night's sleep.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Marina hotels

Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 11 January 2009

Used Choice Hotel points for 1 night stay here awaiting our monthly vacation house.I would have been irate if had prepaid cash.
Main impression is a DARK, beat up hotel that should have its franchise rights pulled. The management is embracing the concept of watching its overhead with refusal to turn on lights or heat hallways. Scuffed,peeling wallpaper-broken windows-filthy stained carpet- needed refurbished years ago.Sure hope those were clean sheets I slept on.
I will say that it was quiet as I noticed only 5 cars were in parking lot in morning. I guess the word is out.

• Liked — FREE- used points
  • Disliked — Too numerous to list
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jonesyguy
Atlanta
Reviewed 19 November 2008

Booked a 1 bedroom suite with a living room. Was a huge room, but no door on bedroom. No privacy."Bedroom" was right next to, and open to living area-not separated by the bathroom.Bedroom was windowless. Airconditioner/heater was in living area. We were using the air as it was warm outside. "Bedroom" area was always stuffy..unless we used the fan that we travel with for "white noise" to divert air to the "bedroom." I asked at the front desk if any suites had true bedrooms..ones with doors. Answer was no, and that I was not the first person who had asked this very question that day.I called across the street to the Holiday Inn Express and they had doors on their bedrooms on their suites.(about the same rate).After lugging our luggage and two large shipping boxes of wine from our earlier visit to Napa up to our room, my husband did not want to change hotels. Big mistake.

First flush of toilet- almost overflowed. Front desk could't find a plunger for us. All drians were very slow.

Saw ants running in shower and on kitchenette counter. Reported this to front desk. Ladies at front desk were always very nice. Room was clean otherwise. They had someone deal with the ants while we went sightseeing. Ants back the next day. At checkout, front desk asked if ants were taken care of. I said temporarily. She apologized, but did say that they had an ant problem. They need to hire an exterminator.

All walls and ceilings are paper thin. No soundproofing at all. Several men in room next to our "bedroom" were goofing off very loudly. We could hear every word...including the curse words.... even over the noise of our fan and the airconditioner. Glad we don't have kids. "Thunderfoot" had the room above us the entire stay. "Thunderfoot" liked to rise at 5am every day. Joy! We are on vacation and are not wanting a 5am wakeup call each and every morning.

We had packed lightly, due to all of the new baggage fees and the fact that we would be checking said boxes spoken about earlier, on our return flight. I planned to do laundry every 2-3 days. This worked great our first week as we stayed in a cottage in Napa. We went sightseeing and visited wineries all day and relaxed in the evenings while I did laundry. I made sure that the three hotels we would stay in had laundry facilities. This one did...but you could only use it from 9am-7pm. So...if you wanted to do laundry, you had to stay around the hotel during the day to get it done. I understand the reasoning for this as the laundry facility was right next to our room. Remember the paper thin walls? The room shook when I did do laundry. This was very poor planning on the architects' part. The laundry facility should not be directly next to rooms. People travel all day, go sight seeing, have business meetings, etc. The only time they may be in their room is in the evening.

It is a shame. The property has great potential. The room was large and kept very clean. The front desk ladies were very nice. BUT, save yourself the trouble and stay elsewhere.

• Liked — large suite
  • Disliked — noise,ants, no door on bedroom
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LSUalum87
Redding, CA
Reviewed 9 September 2008

"Don't judge a book by its cover" is absolutely what comes to mind with this property. It looks quite nice on the outside and the lobby is not bad at all. Everything else falls apart from that point.

The hall carpets are horribly stained (as in hundreds of stains) which immediately feel concerned with the cleanliness of the entire property.

Upon entering our room we were immediately hit with a dirty smoke smell. The toilet seat was left up!? Then we spent the entire night killing ants that were in the bathroom.

The next morning when I was checking out I mentioned the ants to the counter employee. His comment..."yeah we have a real bug problem, sorry about that".

Certainly not a place deserving of a return visit.

• Liked — Looks nice on the outside
  • Disliked — Dirty, dirty dirty
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank jiminredding
CA
Reviewed 15 December 2007

LONG STORY SHORT: DONT STAY HERE UNLESS YOU WANT TO PARTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My family stayed at the Marina, CA Comfort Inn for only one night and that one was horrible. When we first arrived we were told that we had not booked a suit, but a standard room and that the rate we booked was not the rate that they were showing. We were given a suite, but at the rate of a walk in reservation until I could print my confirmation email. Once that was settled we were given a room on the third floor, but the smell of cigarette smoke was so strong walking off of the elevatior we requested to be moved. We were moved to the second floor and was unable to sleep due to the all night walking and talking that was going on above us. At about 1am we finally reported the noise to the front desk to no avail. When we were checking out I again reminded the staff (a different girl) that we were quoted a different rate than what was given. When I told her the rate she stated that the rate I was quoted was not even a rate that they offer! I am a good old southern girl and where I am from the customer is always right even when they are wrong. I very sweetly explained to her that her customer service skills could use some fine tuning and gave her a copy of my confirmation email. She then argued with me about whether I felt like I had been called a liar or not. Needless to say I paid the quoted rate and WILL NEVER STAY AT THIS HOTEL AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed December 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank crscntrygrl
Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed 24 July 2007

First, the reservation process.....I used Comfort Inn's national website. There are 2 major events on the same weekend (MotoGP races and the California Rodeo). Area hotels fill quickly and charge a huge premium- $250 to $400 a night for Comfort Inn, Best Western, etc. is common. I got the standard $98 nightly rate since national reservations had no idea about the special events almost a year in advance .

Fast forward two days before departing. I called comfortinn.com to cancel the 4th night. They said to call the hotel directly. The desk clerk at the hotel was helpful but said the "internet company" would have to make the change. I explained the reservation was made through Comfort Inn's website and not Expedia, Orbitz, etc. She promised to check with the manager and call back.

She called 30 minutes later claiming comfortinn.com is a totally separate company! National reservations said that was totally untrue, advised me to just show up at the hotel and cancel the last night, and have the hotel contact them if they had issues. I did exactly that, and the desk clerk at the hotel suddenly agreed it was no problem. She printed out the expected charges for the 3 remaining nights at $199 for 1 night and $299 for the remaining 2 nights! She insisted $98 per night just couldn't be correct. I produced the confirmation from comfortinn.com and she reprinted the charges correctly.

Although the desk clerk was pleasant and trying to help, I felt she was caught in the middle between me and a clueless manager (if there even is one). I suggest ALWAYS bringing along whatever confirmations you receive from online reservations. I may have been out of luck otherwise.

What I got for the money- The 2 queen room was huge! Everything looked fairly new, clean, and well maintained. Towels were a bit thin but usable. Housekeeping would leave too many hand towels and no face towels- a petty annoyance. Also, the walls are thin; plumbing noises, slamming doors, footsteps upstairs, etc. could bother light sleepers. The hotel is located between a freeway and Marina's main street but I wasn't bothered by traffic noise. There was a good set of cable channels, free internet access in the lobby, data ports in the room, a coffeemaker and a fridge. Breakfast downstairs was the very basics described in other reviews.

Hotel location- About 15 minutes to Monterey, Laguna Seca Raceway, or the rodeo in Salinas. The beach is 1/2 mile away; the Marina Dunes RV park is also nearby if someone in a group prefers to camp. Most of the standard suburban restaurants, fast food, banks, warehouse stores, and gas stations are also nearby and easier to access than ones in Monterey.

I recommend this hotel for the rooms and location if you get a good price- but bring along proof.....you may need it!

• Liked — Location. Rooms well equipped, large, clean
  • Disliked — Reservation process.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
3 Thank kenish
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marina
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites - Marina
Howard Johnson Marina at Monterey Bay
Monterey Beach Dunes Inn
Sanctuary Beach Resort
Ramada Marina
Ramada Marina
#4 of 9 in Marina
Monterey Tides, a Joie de Vivre hotel

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!