“An OK one night stay”
Review of Jolly Roger Hotel

Jolly Roger Hotel
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Marina del Rey
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We were travelling into LA during the vacation period and therefore anticipate that hotel costs are going to be a little higher. Hence, we were unable to stay at our favourite location near LAX. So a stay not far from Venice Beach and Santa Monica was the next best option. The Jolly Roger is close but it is located on a busy road and there are a good few emergency vehicles and police who zoom along throughout the night with the sirens blasting. At $161.00 it was not of the standard you would expect and whilst the breakfast was a nice addition, sharing our room with healthy large silverfish was not our ideal plan for day one of our vacation.

I think I will be looking at other options on our next visit through LA.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Jolly Roger Hotel

Reviewed 14 July 2013

it was just what we wanted- a 20 minute stroll to the beach ( or a 10 minute power walk ). room was fine. breakfast was standard continental. parking was easy.staff was friendly.we wnt mainly to do beach activities - not stay in a room, and the proximity to the beach and marina was fine.

Room Tip: rooms in the back are much quieter
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We stayed 4nights and we found it very good the staff were friendly and it was very good value for money.
We could walk to the beach and there was plenty going on within walking distances round the motel.
Good breakfast served in the dining room every morning between 7and10.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We were on our last stop on our Route 66 tour,without a hotel booking on the Memorial Day week-end,which was a real challenge finding a reasonably priced hotel in the Santa Monica area.However ,we were delighted to find a suite at Jolly Roger Hotel.On arrival,we were greeted by a charming and very helpful male receptionist. He gave us a suite in a nicer part of the hotel,as well as extending the Jacuzzi closing time by one hour to accommodate our needs.The breakfast was adequate,with the usual fare of cereals ,yoghurt ,fruit etc etc.,which was all we usually need to start the day.The Jolly Roger Hotel is a delightful place to stay,an I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for one at back of the building,to avoid traffic noise
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 May 2013

I stayed here one night after Coachella (and not showering for 4 days) so I really just needed a good, cheap place with a nice shower to rest in. There is nothing too special about the hotel (it does have a hot tub) but you get what you pay and I was happy with it.

The only negative was when we first arrived we hadn't booked anything but had seen on bookings.com that a room with 2 queens would cost $122 for the night. The man on reception said he can only give it to use for $135 even though we could have just easily left, connected to wi-fi, booked the room on bookings.com and then come back. When we mentioned this to him he told us that if we want a cheaper hotel to go somewhere else.

The woman on reception after that was very nice though :)

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Steve M
Reviewed 30 April 2013

I stayed at Jolly Roger April 2013. I had an unexpected accident and broke my ankle in La Jolla and drove up to my next reserved hotel which was Jolly Rogers in Marina Del Rey to get close to LAX. Two attendants Dan and Terry went above and beyond to help me. When I returned home I reflected back at all the details they paid to ensuring my safety. My room was picked five steps from where I parked my car. The morning I left Terry was at my door with a chair to wheel me to my car and he carried my bags out to my car started my car and turned it around so the drivers side would be closer and fewer step taken on my crutches. The most humbling part of the experience was their genuine humility and pride they took in their jobs of working in public service. It seems so trivial to mention the room, wifi, & beds were fine but nothing in comparison to the service. I was touched by two angels.

Patricia Dugger

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank TrishDugger
Reviewed 2 March 2013

This hotel is near the marina and beach in Venice beach. Beds very confortable, wifif works well, and free parking. Donna, on front desk when we arrived, was terrific, she helped with local restaurant knowledge, supermarkets and activities. The breakfast is served in the cafe on 2nd floor and was reasonable, fruit, cereal, breads and coffee,tea, juices. Good price for a good hotel

Room Tip: upstairs away from road noise
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
#3 of 11 in Marina del Rey
Hotel Erwin
Hotel Erwin
#11 of 353 in Los Angeles

Been to Jolly Roger Hotel? Share your experiences!