“poor accommodations, rude staff”

Oakwood Apartments Marina Del Rey
Reviewed 27 August 2008

We had nothing but problems since the moment we arrived. The front desk staff only works until 6 pm, so if you arrive at night you have to wait outside the door until you can get the attention of the security guard. The room had no soap, no toilet paper, and only 1 towel. We also had no wastebasket in the bathroom and never got one the entire three weeks of our stay. We had to go the the store at 12am the night we arrived because there was no one working at the desk to get us toilet paper. If you want to do laundry you need to purchase a card at the "convenience" store. The machine didn't happen to be working when we tried to do this. When we asked the store employees about this they were very rude and told us we needed to get someone from the front desk to help us. (It was after 6pm, so no clean underwear for the next day). The next day when we approached the front desk staff for help with the laundry card machine they didn't know how to handle it either so they gave us a defective card that had to be wiggled around into just the right position to get the machines to read it. When I tried to reload the card in the laundry room machine it wouldn't read my debit card and I had to take my laundry all the way back to the room and walk all the way to the club house to try the convenience store machine again.

The room was also small, outdated, and the fixtures in the bathtub were falling out of the wall. The hallways reeked of cigarette smoke, mold, and other mystery odors. In short, the accommodations were terrible and the staff was rude, not attentive, and unavailable.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank Kristin011
There are newer reviews for Oakwood Apartments Marina Del Rey

Reviewed 8 August 2008

Never stay here. They told us that our room would not be ready until 6pm because nobody was moving out then they finally at the last minute found a room and it was smoke filled. I requested that we be switched to a room without all the smoke. They apologized and said that they had 60 people they were unable to get in. When I went to check out I found out that everyone now has a room but nobody ever called me to move to another room. I even checked with them several times. Nan was the person helping me. She rolled her eyes and gave me an attitude. Very poor customer service.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank 888travel888travel
Reviewed 2 April 2008

I stayed at the Oakwood Apartments in Marina Del Ray for 3 weeks. The location was excellent, being within a few minutes walk of Venice Beach and close to the marina.

The aparment was more than adequate, with fridge, freezer, dishwasher, large oven and hob, all necessary cooking & kitchen equipment.

We had a couple of problems, the drain in one of the showers was blocked. An engineer came and cleared it. The waste disposal unit broke down about 4 days before I left, but was never fixed. When I spoke to reception for the second time they had no record of me reporting it the first time.

Apart from that, the staff were nice and helpful, the convenience store was very convenient and there were plenty of places to eat in the area. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2007
1  Thank UkAnon_Traveller
Reviewed 25 January 2008

This complex is located between the marina and Venice Beach, just a 5-10 minute walk from the Venice Pier. It's a large group of 3-story buildings with a combination of studio, one-, and two-bedroom units set in nicely landscaped grounds with a pool, tennis and basketball courts and a clubhouse with convenience store, gym, business center and party rooms. The complex was probably built in the late 1970's and refurbished around 2000. Unfortunately, the kitchens and bathrooms were not up-graded in that renovation and they show their age.
The one-bedroom unit we were in had a single air conditioner which was adequate for cooler months, but may be more problematic during the summer. A pedestal fan will be provided upon request which along with a ceiling fan in the dining area helps to circulate the air throughout the unit.
The furnishings are nice, if a bit dark. The living room has a sitting area with a convertible sofa and matching love seat, a dining area near the open kitchen, a desk with excellent wi-fi, and a television with a wide variety of cable channels. There are two mirrored closets in the bedroom, as well as a linen closet. The bathroom sink is in a vanity unit in the bedroom. Unfortunately, the lighting beside the bed and in the living room is inadequate for comfortable reading.
There seems to be a problem with up-keep of the hallways and related public areas. There was debris left in the hallways on at least 6 days of our 28 day stay -- once for 3 days. We complained several times but response was slow. Also, a vacant apartment unit next to us was left wide open for an entire weekend -- certainly a breach of security and an invitation to mischief. We attributed these failings to a lack of alert property management, although in general the maintenance and cleanliness within the units was fine.
If you are looking for a place near the beach for a stay of a week or more, this is a great location.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dam&gwb
Reviewed 9 January 2008

Don't stay here. This picture says it all really. This problem lasted weeks and the staff just didn't seem phased!

Stayed: October 2007
6  Thank clarkkent26
Reviewed 25 October 2007

In the mid October, we checked in Oakwood apartment. The first information was the buildings were old, and used asbestos which cased bad health in 30 - 40 years later. So they said "don't make a hole on the wall"

Well, we understood it. But the nightmare came up when we stayed in that room a night.

We felt itchy our legs. We found some bug bites on our feet. We reported it, and oakwood sent a guy to spray / clean the room. But they didn't change the bed seats.

We're arrowed to stay another room till the bug problem solved.
But we found another type of bug on the bed in the different room! I had to sleep in the car for that night.

This apartment is good. There's the gym, pool, spa, convenience store, car rental office, etc. And also the stuff working here are all nice to us. I really like them but the bugs...

I can't sleep with bugs, itchiness. I don't want to look at my feet that have lots of red dots.

This apartment is arrowed to bring your pets, so if you have a pet, it would be nice because of the price is cheaper than other hotel/apartment nearby here.

But if you don't own a pet, or don't see any bugs on your bed, I suggest you to find another place to stay.

I'm still staying here. Staying in the car, actually. (My husband slept on the bed, but I couldn't) I'd love to stay here if I don't see any bugs/ red dots on my legs.

At last, I want to say that the workers are friendly, nice. The facility is old, rusty water, feel like having an earthquake when someone's walking on the floor, so if you can reserve the top floor room without any bug issue, this apartment would be your paradise.

• Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank cream111
Reviewed 24 October 2007

We stayed at The Oakwood Marina Del Rey for 3 weeks. My husband had business here so I decided to tag along with our almost 2 year old daughter & explore L.A.
The complex itself is great and offers lots to do: activities/parties, a small playground for the kids, heated pool/jacuzzi, safe grounds, pet-friendly, etc... It is close to shopping, beaches, parks, and a short drive to Santa Monica & Venice.
The main complex & lobby are clean & well-kept.
Our apartment was a two bedroom located on the main level in the N section. It had some slight mold on the ceiling and doorways. My major complaint about the apt. is the carpets NEED to be replaced- our white socks would be gray on the bottom after one day!!! Bring slippers if you stay here& wear them!!! The kitchen, the A/C, the sliding glass doors & some other features could use some updating, our apt. didn't look exactly like the photos (never let a photo fool you ;). Our beds were comfortable, linens & towels were clean & we had housekeeping every week (though I cleaned it myself too). They provided us with a crib & high chair for an additional fee.

A problem we encountered:
On the second night we were there some men must have had a few too many and were screaming & cursing at each other on what sounded like the floor above us(the sound travels where were were), I had to call security at 1am to stop it! It was one time but not something you want to deal with.
We did try to switch our room to a quieter section but there were no others available. They put us on a waiting list...We were finally called about 5 days before we were scheduled to leave, we just said forget it, didn't feel like packing all of our belongings up for 5 days.
Overall the place is pretty, nice to walk around, the rooms just need some upgrading, it really wasn't horrible by any means, and with lovely Mother's Beach right across the way and all of L.A. to explore...who's in the room that much anyway???

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled on business
#3 of 11 in Marina del Rey
Hotel Erwin
Hotel Erwin
#11 of 352 in Los Angeles

Been to Oakwood Apartments Marina Del Rey? Share your experiences!