“Expensive but good”

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Marina del Rey
Franklin Square, New York
“Expensive but good”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Jamaica Bay Inn. The room was great. The motel is right on the Marina Bay. The pool was very good. Did laps on 2 different days. Parking was around $16 per night which I didn't know about. They had a good restaurant.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank feenst128
Craig F, General Manager at Jamaica Bay Inn, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear Feenst128;

Thank you for sharing you review!

We are pleased to hear you enjoyed our amazing beachside location, pool and restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This rating is due to the lack of follow up and response after I completed hosting a meeting at this hotel. Unfortunately, I have to rate the hotel based on the entire package and this experience has tainted the entire stay. Not only do I not typically write reviews, I am very cautious about writing a negative review. In this case, I want to warn others.

I lead a team of employees for a global company and I host meetings 2-3 times a year throughout the United States. I've typically dealt with Marriott, Hyatt, and Westin; so dealing with a smaller hotel chain proved to have its challenges.

The specific issue is simply as follows:
I hosted the meeting in early April.
I disputed a charge in late April/early May.
I received a written response from Sales Director stating a refund would be issued, but I never received the refund.
I followed up in May to Sales Director but I got no response
I followed up again in June with General Manager and Sales Director, but I still have no response.

The reason for the refund request is even more of an issue.
Due to a "Meeting Special", I was given the meeting room at no charge for the length of my meeting.
Because we were going offsite for one day, I let the hotel know that I would not need the room for that day (a Wed), but that we would use the room on Tuesday and Thursday.
When we returned from our offsite activity around 4pm, my team chose to get together and work on our findings from the day. They gathered in the meeting room. When I later came to join them, I had someone from the hotel check in to see who was using the room. When I explained that our things were still in the room, that we had it for the following day, and that no one else was in the room - they did not appear to have an issue, but did say they would follow up with the sales director on the next day.

I spoke to the Sales Person the next day. She pulled me out of my meeting with my team to "scold" me for being in the room. She said she would follow up with the gentleman that worked the night shift.

There was no follow up. There was only a bill with a meeting room charge. My sales contact refused to reverse the charge. I, then asked for the contact information for the Sales Director and General Manager.

Bottom Line - How can a hotel charge for something that they offered at no charge?

And this outlines the difference between a larger chain hotel and this smaller run hotel.

Unfortunately, my company can not utilize this location again in the future as this situation has not been resolved.

If there is an update, I will be happy to share.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank KFreelySpeaking
Craig F, General Manager at Jamaica Bay Inn, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear KayMBee 1908;

Thank you for sharing your review.

I am very sorry to hear of your challenge in resolution. It is my understanding this issue was resolved timely but the credit took time to be applied by the bank. I am sorry for any misunderstanding or perceived lack of follow up.

We are very grateful for your business and for you as our customer. I would certainly appreciate the opportunity to welcome your business back with a special invitation. I can assure you your experience will be quite different. Please contact me directly so that I may make arrangements.

Thank you again.

Craig Forbus
cforbus@jamaicabayinn.com
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Amazing hotel and location away from the hustle and bustle and traffic. The staff is accomodating and wonderful and Kenneth at the beachside patio restaurant has been amazing as a waiter. Sitting by a fire pit overlooking the marina after playing tourist all day is heaven. Rooms are wonderful, and the truffle fries at happy hour are to die for. You can't miss choosing this hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sarah B
Dear Sarah B;

Thank you for sharing your kind review!

It is a pleasure to hear you had such a great time and had a chance to enjoy our view and our Beachside Restaurant!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Clean rooms, well priced, great staff, and good location. We were there for a night, staff was very friendly, and room were clean, comfy, and spacious. It is not walking distance from Santa Monica but is easily accessible to the beach. I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Babygrll23;

Thank you for sharing your kind review!

We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay so much that you will return again!

Thank you for recommending us! See you on your next visit!
Denver
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Thank you to Edmund, Front Desk Supervisor for going out of your way to make my business travel more manageable.

This is a wonderful place to stay with water access in the marina and an amazing restaurant with room service.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Mmanzone;

Thank you for sharing your review!

It is a pleasure to hear you enjoyed our location and room service. Thank you for acknowledging our Supervisor, Edmund and his great service skills!

We look forward to your next stay!
Laguna Niguel, California
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stay here whenever I need to be in LA, its close to most everything, but the best part are the people who work there. Always friendly, professional, helpful, the best around. I am always immediately greeted at the front desk with a smile, and what a great attitude abounds. It is a great culture that has been built there. The food in the restaurant is excellent, as is the service. When you do choose to stay there, be sure to get an ocean view room, exceedingly comfortable

Room Tip: Upper level ocean view rooms are the best
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Michael V;

Thank you for once again being our guest! We appreciate you sharing your experience in regards to our service, staff and location!

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

We love this hotel. The front desk staff are incredible. Today when we checked in "Elia" greeted us and made us feel so welcome. She found us a room on a busy weekend. She followed up and ensured that we had everything we needed. The room was awesome, clean & modern.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Stacey S;

Thank you for sharing you review!

We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and were greeted so warmly upon your arrival!

We look forward to welcoming you back!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marina del Rey
#7 of 11 in Marina del Rey
Inn at Venice Beach
Inn at Venice Beach
#8 of 350 in Los Angeles

Been to Jamaica Bay Inn? Share your experiences!