“Sweet little hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Marina del Rey
San Diego, United States
“Sweet little hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

The staff was very nice and helpful. The rooms are large and comfy. Great showers. Good location in Marina Del Rey. Avoid this place on a Friday night. It is impossible to get in the driveway the traffic is so bad.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Bakersfield, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

This was our fourth stay in Marina Del Rey in the last year, as my back surgeon's office is nearby. The other three times we stayed at the Jamaica Bay Inn accross the street, which is an excellent hotel. We decided to try this property for a change of pace since it was new. We will not be back and will stay at the Jamaica Bay Inn on future visits. Our experience started badly when we checked in. The accoustics at the front desk are terrible. Loud background music combined with a low ceiling and several people talking made it impossible to hear. After a very frustrating attempt at communication, the lady helping us went over to turn down the backgroud music and voila, we could hear! This marked the first of many lack of common sense issues we grappled with on our one night stay. We were directed where to park in the underground garage to be near the stairway closest to our bungalow room. No bellman and we were expected to carry our luggage up stairs?! (Remember the resaon for our stay was to see my back surgeon!) We told them we would need an elevator and found to our dismay the elevator could not have been further from our room. Then to make matters worse, after parking, coming back up to the lobby to get a luggage cart, going back down to our car, loading our luggage and coming back up to the lobby, the lady at the front desk gave is the most indirect directions to our room. She could not have directed us further out of the way! The next morning we discovered a much shorter, more direct route to our bungalow. Once in our room, we disovered a leak from the water pipe under our toilet. We put towels on the floor to soak up the water. Also, there was only about a half roll of toilet paper in the bathroom, with no spare full roll anywhere. I called the front desk to request more towels and toilet paper and was told they would be brought to our room right away. An hour and a half later when we left for dinner I called again because my first request had been ignored. I was so confident in the inefficency of the staff at this point, we stopped and bought toilet paper on our way back from dinner. I have to say it was the first time I've ever had to supply my own TP in a hotel! Thank heavens we did, as we never got toilet paper or towels. (My husband and I shared a single bath towel as the others were keeping the bathroom floor from being flooded by the waterline leak to the toilet.) The property is newly remodeled, nicely decorated, clean and the breakfast buffet surprisingly good. However the staff, while pleasant, are inept to say the least. The property is also not "handicapped" or elder friendly. Being a Hilton Honors member, this is the second Hilton Garden Inn we have stayed at since May. Both were disappointments.

Room Tip: Stay accross the street at the Jamaica Bay Inn!
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dean W, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles Marina Del Rey, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Wow, this is truly disappointing that your stay was so sub-par. There is no excuse for not being taken care of, and I am very sorry that you did not enjoy yourselves.
The Housekeeping and Maintenance issues I am looking into, and will find out what happened. It is true that Hilton Garden Inns do not have bell staffs, but we do have staff who are more than happy to assist, especially in an instance like yours.

I hope that you might give us another chance to give you a great stay with us, as we are better than what you experienced. If you would give us another chance, please contact me directly and I will be sure to ensure it is everything you are looking for and then some.

Dean
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

This hotel is perfect in every way. It is clean, smells good, and the rooms are so comfortable. What sets this hotel aside from all others is its wonderful staff. From the front desk, the great resturant staff and even the maintenance man who gave up the "down" elevator so we could go "up", we could not have been received more warmly and treated like royalty by an amazingly friendly staff.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

Let me first start by saying the Hilton Garden Inn began their friendly service before we even arrived in California. Richard, the hotel assistant manager, upgraded our room for no extra charge because he learned that I was a police officer and my husband was in the airline industry, which allows us some discounts from time to time. When we arrived our room wasn't quite ready but they immediately made us feel welcome at the hotel bar. The room was everything we hoped it would be, clean, spacious, private, and beautiful! The hotel is situated only 6 miles from LAX and only a few blocks from the Venice Beach. Loads of yummy restaurants and bars very close by. And if you don't want to leave the hotel area, you can eat a wonderful breakfast, lunch and dinner at the hotel. The wait staff was amazing and very friendly. Across the street from hotel is a cool local restaurant, The Killer Shrimp, which was a neat place to hang out. We didn't eat there, but had a few drinks. The locals make you feel very welcome. It faces the Marina, so there are some lovely views from there. We rented bikes for only $25 for a whole day right from the hotel, and rode around the Venice Beach area and boardwalk. This is a great way to really see what the area has to offer. I could go on and on, but I will finish with this. You will not be disappointed if you stay at The Hilton Garden Inn in Marina Del Rey, they really know their business and how to make you feel right at home!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

The Hilton Garden Inn did a fabulous job updating the entire property - everything was clean,modern, updated and comfortable. The staff was friendly and courteous, and very responsive. Staff at the Front Desk had many restaurant suggestions and were very helpful in answering questions about the property. Service at the restaurant was prompt and I enjoyed the brunch. The location is very convenient to many places (Venice Beach, Santa Monica Pier and Beach) and parking was a breeze.

The room was very nice; great space with a king size bed (super comfy). The bathroom was clean with nice, fluffy towels and a shower stall. Plenty of closet and drawer space, with a safe for your valuables. There is a nice size balcony with table and chairs - the a/c worked great. The pool was also nice (salt water) with fresh towels placed on the lounge chairs daily. There is also a workout room that I did not get a chance to use; it looked quite nice.

Overall, a great experience with nothing negative to add. I will be sure to recommend this hotel to friends, family and co-workers!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank YogaJunkie
Los Alamitos
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

Working close to this location, I was anxious to see how Hilton would transform this dilapidated structure. I can honestly say they turned it into one of the best Hilton Garden Inn's I've stayed at. It's close to LAX, Venice Beach, and Santa Monica. Mother's Beach is right across the street. Perfect for a friendly game of volleyball, or you can rent bikes from the front desk and go for a ride down to Venice Pier or Santa Monica Pier. The bike path is one of the safest I've been on. Upon arrival the employees made you feel right at home. Check in was quick, handled professionally, with happy employees. They set the tone for the stay, I walked away extremely pleased. And then I got to my room. Hilton did not disappoint. The room was spacious, clean, and relaxing. Made for a wonderful night's sleep. Being from Southern California, I will definitely stay here again, and recommend it to anyone who is interested in visiting the area.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Dublin, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

My stay at HGI at Marina Del ray CA was very good,as the there are lot of near by restuarants and quality of hotel was very good and staff very excellent in customer service and swimming pool was good and rooms very clean and neat - above expectations.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

#13 of 348 in Los Angeles
Marina del Rey Marriott
#7 of 11 in Marina del Rey
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,047 reviews

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles Marina Del Rey? Share your experiences!