“Cute place to stay!”

Bear Creek Cabins
London, United Kingdom
“Cute place to stay!”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We only stayed here for a couple of days... But I reckon you could stay for a long period and not get bored; there's a big yard for activities, if you have a car you could drive to lots of shops and restaurants around, make some friends and get used to it. I enjoyed my stay; the owner was nice, it was clean enough, you could have a BBQ, take walks... Our apartment was spacious and very cute and had all the facilities. Nice stay.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Blue B

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Grand Island, Nebraska, United States
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We stayed at Bear Creek Cabins in early July. Louann was a very kind lady and greeted us when we arrived. It was nice to have a kitchenette. It had air conditioning and heating. It was fairly spacious. Unfortunately, we had tons of ants in our cabin as well as two roaches. We had to put all food items in ziplocks. I was worried about transferring the bugs to my house when we returned from vacation. So we had to unload everything outside and spray our luggage for bugs. It caused extra work!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Bess P
california
Reviewed 29 June 2013

We stayed in cabin 4 with our two grandsons. The pleasant June weather obviated the need for heat or air conditioning, so we were quite comfortable. The upstairs sleeping loft was hot for a while, but the ceiling fan helped. The cabins are simple and quite clean, but a number of little things could use attention. Specifically, the large burner on the stove was broken, two multilight fixtures each had one burned out bulb, and the supplies included only one drinking glass, three frying pans and one pot. There were sufficient silverware, plates and cups, so we did manage.

Yes, there is no phone service-hallelujah! Unfortunately there is cable TV. I go to Yosemite to see Nature, and to get away from our daily amenities.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 June 2013 via mobile

So pulling in is like driving through the land that time forgot. It is dark and dingy with run down shanty's along the dirt lane. There is junk cars and rototillers in the front yard???

The cabin itself was good enough for us. It was clean as could be expected. The kids were thrilled that there was tv to watch after a long day of hiking.

Went to pour some after dinner drinks but there was only one glass in the cabin - seriously???

A little work could make these cabins so much more.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Buffalobolt
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Good:
*Louann (the owner) was a very kind lady and nice to deal with.
*The deluxe room was really nice for a cabin, roomy and clean
*It was a heck of a lot cheaper than Yosemite (about 40miles away)
*Very authentic
*Louann was kind enough to let my daughter's boyfriend call his mother from her house, since the rooms had no phones in them. So kind of her to understand a mother's worrying and to help him out on a personal level like that. I really appreciated that.

Bad:
*This might be the "city" in me, but there's NO cell phone reception - we are taking zero bars aka NO SERVICE
*There are no land line phones in the cabins
*The furnace was okay the first hour we were there. But then suddenly, it let off a very bad rotten type smell (propane fireplace) and the room became smokey. Louann was kind enough to come in and check on it twice and finally turned it off. She suggested it was the neighbor's cooking lamb, but it wasn't - I know what gas smells like. I'm positive I am right, especially because it went away when it was turned off.
*Well, we live in Hawaii where it is 80 degrees all the time and I didn't want to breathe in that horrible smell all night and not wake up, because it was gas - you know? That can't possibly be safe or good for children to inhale, right? And I couldn't even Google the safety of it, because our phones didn't work. So we slept all night bundled up together FREEZING, literally I felt like I was freezing. It couldn't have been more than 20 degrees, with log walls and all the breeze outside, it felt like we were going to die. Made it a terrible experience. At about 5 am, my kids faces were super cold, so I turned the fireplace back on. It let off this really loud "BOOM" that made me jump out of my pants almost ya know? Like it didn't start right away like it should have. And the smell came back full throttle, super yucky. So I packed up the kids and left. Definitely something needs to be done about that fireplace. My lungs hurt the next day and it just cannot possibly be safe.

Room Tip: Slept in the Deluxe Cabin, great cabin if they can get the propane fireplace fixed.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 26 November 2012

Our family of four plus 2 dogs just stayed the weekend here and had an enjoyable time. This is a budget stay near Yosemite, not a 5 star hotel. I would compare this to a Motel 6. We had no problems finding it with our gps. The short turn off to get to the cabins isn't scary just looks like people living there in not so good of accommodations. Lou Ann left us the key in our cabin (#2) which is actually one room in a large log house that consist of 4 "cabins". Our room was a nice size with a very small kitchen area and a small bathroom. It fit our needs perfectly especially since we were traveling with our Aussie and Schnauzer and were planning on hiking and being outside most of the time anyway. The room was clean enough for me. The carpet looked okay but I NEVER walk on carpet in hotels barefooted anyway. One of the comforters had a stain on it and there were several spiderwebs behind the nightstand (I knocked something off behind it and had to fetch it). The bathroom was clean and had plenty of towels. I was expecting to pay a pet fee but no pet fee was necessary we just had to remove the vacuum from the front porch and vacuum before we left since we had pets. That was a little confusing because wouldn't the room get vacuumed anyway after we left? The heating system they have didn't work and the rooms had a new looking space heater. It kept us toasty warm and the temps at night were in the low 30's. Also, the Bug hostel right up the road has a good restaurant with meat, vegetarian and children's meals, as well as wine and beer. We were wanting to go to the Mariposa sequoia trail in Yosemite and it took about an hour to drive there to the trail-head. If you want to go to the valley floor you would go the opposite direction and that took about 45 minutes.

Room Tip: Cabins 1-4 are really hotel rooms in one long log cabin.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 24 November 2012

A paradise in Yosemite area! it is in the middle of the mountain, very quiet and very well equiped. The attention of the owner is excellent. We stayed there 2 nights and was awesome. Though it is not inside the park (have to travel 30 min, by car) it is a great place to stay!! We went June 2011

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mariposa
Cedar Lodge
Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite
Yosemite View Lodge
Yosemite View Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal

Been to Bear Creek Cabins? Share your experiences!