“The best B&B I have stayed at”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mariposa
Poppy Hill Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #10 of 21 Mariposa B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Everything was perfect. Beautifully furnished rooms, excellent real food for breakfast and welcoming hostesses. Mary Ellen and Amy go that extra step of providing for all your needs. There were extra snacks, cups of tea and coffee advice about the local restaurants and a hot tub on the deck for tired walkers returned from the park. An excellent location not far from the Yosemete National Park. I can highly recommend that you stay here if you enjoy comfortable country hospitality.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Forestlodge
There are newer reviews for Poppy Hill Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 25 May 2012

We stayed at Poppy Hill 4 nights and would have stayed 5 nights, but they were already booked when I made reservations about 5 weeks before our vacation. Mary Ellen, Darlene and Amy were great hostesses and made sure everyone was comfortable. It is close to Mariposa but still far enough away to enjoy nature and just relax. We visited Yosemite from this location and it worked out wonderfully! If we ever go to the area again we will definetly stay there again and we will be recommending to family and friends going to the area. Thank you Mary Ellen and Amy for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charlotte B
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Well I spent 3 nights in this b&b in March 2012 with my partner. I wish i'd an extra few nights but we were using this as a stop over. My only reluctance when staying here in the first place was because there were not may reviews on trippy although all of the ones on trippy are excellent. Room rate was very good and for what you get so much better value than the park accommodation. There is a book of guest comments in the b&b - the effort some people went to to write long excellent reviews was amazing. I came to the conclusion that a lot of people would have written their reviews in the guestbook rather than on trippy. The location is excellent - its about a 6/7 minute drive to the town of Mariposa which itself is a pleasant small town with a couple of very nice restaurants - we had a lovely Mexican meal in a very reasonably priced restaurant and we also ate in Savourys which would be the towns number 1 restaurant and is very good. From the b&b its approximately 30 minutes to the park and depending where you're going in the park from there but as the park itself isn't massive it doesn't take long to get to any part of the park. The quality of the accommodation / food in the park might not be great especially during peak season which is why I would 100% recommend staying in Poppy Hill. You're away from the crazy crowds in a very peaceful area that in reality is only a very short drive to the park. We commuted each day to the park in our rental car and you really do not see the distance. Mary Ellen and Darlene are superb hosts - they could not do enough for you. I think Mary Ellen is running this b&b for years and they cannot be more accommodating whilst respecting your space and privacy at all times. The furnishings in the living area and bedrooms are superb and really really nice. The b&b is set in a rural location with neighbours nearby and on the first evening we were greeted by a small of group of deer ambling through the gardens! The next morning a group of maybe 40 turkeys were wondering through the gardens - its that kind of place! Breakfasts in the b&b are superb as other guests commented - we had 3 breakfasts there - each one different and each one absolutely gorgeous. Breakfast in California in most hotels/b&b's is usually a cold small buffet - this was the opposite. Mary Ellen also left a bottle of lovely white wine on our first evening with freshly baked cake which was lovely and a great way to relax in the evening after coming back form dinner. The b&b rooms are in a separate type annex to the main house so you have your privacy if you want it. There is a common room downstairs with a lovely baby grand piano which you can play and nice couches so you could relax here in the evening or else outdoors in one of the many benches / chairs scattered around the garden. There is also an outdoor hot tub there - it looked inviting and was on but we didn't venture in (March nights are still chilly ;-)) All in all a superb vacation here and would thoroughly recommend - it had everything comfortable high quality rooms, lovely breakfasts and the bottle of wine a lovely touch, nice living area, near the park but far enough from the crowds, and exceptionally nice people running the place. We stayed in the poppy room and it was lovely - I looked at the other 2 rooms upstairs and I could not recommend 1 over the other - all 3 are excellent.

Also stayed in Monterey, Cambria & SF and will review these later

Room Tip: All 3 upstairs rooms are excellent and similarly furnished. Did not see the downstairs room but i w...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank max29
Reviewed 19 February 2012

The owner, Mary Ellen, is a sweet lady who ensures you have everything you could possibly need. Breakfast was gourmet-mixed fruit, juice, coffee/tea and croissant french toast with bacon. Mary Ellen and her friend Darlene asked if we had any dietary restrictions and made different breakfasts for those guests who did.

Room-we stayed in the Iris room, which is in the front of the house. Room was spacious and clean. Same for the bathroom. There are no TVs in the rooms or common areas, but there is free wi-fi. There is also a policy to keep noise down from 10p to 8a, which is no big deal since you're here to relax and will want to sleep in.

Common areas-rooms are filled with unique decorations that add character. There is a gas fireplace that makes the living room really toasty and comfortable. There is also a jacuzzi outside for guest use.

Location-about 5 miles out of main street Mariposa. Close enough to drive for dinner. The house is located off a main road and there are signs that point you in the right direction. It's also about 45 min to Yosemite. When you get to the park, you'll be nearby all the major sites.

I would recommend Poppy Hill to everyone.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank boiler-gator
Reviewed 12 February 2012

What a fantastic house in an absolutely great location. We saw hummingbirds, blue birds and wild turkeys in the garden.You just want to sit outside and relax!. The room was lovely with a very high bed that was really comfortable,Mary Ellen was a wonderful host who introduced us to a few new things for breakfast. She also gave us a great recommendation for an evening meal(it was our wedding anniversary) at a really special restaurant in Mariposa.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2011

My wife and I had high expectations based on the reviews here and we were mostly not disappointed. Poppy Hill is in a very nice, quiet, rural location about an hour outside of Yosemite. It costs less to stay there than all but the most rustic accommodations in Yosemite Valley proper (a Curry Village tent cabin is less, that's about it).

Mary Ellen is most gracious, both in our email exchange reserving the room and during our visit. She suggested a nice restaurant in Mariposa and even offered to make reservations for us, which we took her up on.

Previous reviews have pointed out well the many delights of this property and anyone who is a regular B&B guest should certainly find Poppy Hill to their liking.

The few faults that kept this from being five-stars for me: The breakfast was nice, but not fabulous, and although we were told breakfast would be at 8:30, it was nearly 9:00 before anything other than coffee and juice was out. If you want to get an early start to Yosemite, I would ask that they move things up a bit. The Willow room is also quite noisy, with just regular activity in the room above sounding like the proverbial herd of elephants. I would avoid that room. The mattress in the Willow room also needs replacing: both my wife and I spend the night clinging to the outside edges lest we plunged into center crevasse and disappeared forever.

After hiking and biking in Yosemite, I did find the hot tub a wonderful place to relax after dinner! It has a nice spot on the back deck with a nice view of the stars through the big oak trees.

Room Tip: Avoid the Willow room, downstairs, unless stairs are not an option for you.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank gavilan8
Reviewed 25 September 2011

I searched yelp.com n trip advisor for reviews on affordable hotels with great reviews. My boyfriend n I wanted to take a vacation together to Yosemite since we both have never been n didn't want to spend more than $150 with tax per night. We came across this B&B. It had wonderful reviews n made me excited just reading them. I visited the poppy hills website n looked at the 4 different bedrooms. Mary Ellen had the Iris room available so we booked that room. Must use credit card to reserve the room, but u can pay cash or use a different card when u check out. Our room was on the 2nd floor that had a connecting door to the upstairs patio that also over looks the garden. So pretty! There are 2 arm chairs in the room, antique furniture throughout the affordable house! The bed is very squeeky. The home has had upgrades. The private bathroom has a 2 person seater shower only, no tub on this room. I didn't get a Chance to use the hot tub outside. There were 2 Mule Deer that came up to the yard to eat while they were making breakfast. It was a great experience. Mary Ellen has help with this B&B. They make plenty of Crossant French Toast enough for 4 people. The bacon seemed like its Bacon that is pre-cooked/frozen kind you buy at the grocery store, not the real freshly cooked kind you would expect. That was one of the cons. We love Bacon, n even when they served it us heated up it was very hard n barely warm.:( wish they used real bacon but I guess its too much work. The website stated we would receive a bottle of wine or champaign which we were looking forward to when we got home. Mary Ellen greeted us when we returned in the evening the first night as there were 2 other guest in the living room. We looked around n there was no sight of a bottle for us. We chit chatted about our day n still no bottle was ever offered to us. Oh well. We went on upstairs n showered. Thank goodness we brought our own wine. They did give us 3 very small cookies that day, but it was barely enough for 2 people. The next day we received 2 regular sized cookies that was still not enough for 2 people.. oh well. There is no cable or phone service in the rooms. The antiques are beautiful along with the garden. Except for the minor items we had a great stay here n it was affordable! The other places closer to the park we very expensive and/or had okay reviews. This B&B was a lovely choice n I would recommend to others. P.S this place is 50-60 mins outside of yosemite park entrance. From the yosemite park entrance its another 30 mins to the middle or where all the shops, info center n few hotels are.

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank barbaradexter1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mariposa
Yosemite Cedar Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal
Miners Inn Motel
Miners Inn Motel
#1 of 6 in Mariposa

Been to Poppy Hill Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!