“Not a boutique hotel”

Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Mariposa
Nice, France
“Not a boutique hotel”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

The Monarch hotel in Mariposa was advertised on the outside as a boutique hotel. It was not. However, it did its job well. We stayed there because we would go into Yosemite the next day and we had a good night's sleep. The breakfast was as poor as it often is on low price hotels. For the price we payed, it was OK.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stefan H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Ventura, California
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

The room was good for the price. Great location. Walking distance to local shops and restaurants. The breakfast is nothing much. I would advise they offer more. The service was very nice and helpful. Would stay again. Within driving distance to Yosemite.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

I am visiting the Monarch in Mariposa this weekend on April 18th. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of hotel and courteous service provided by the front office staff. We left orange county at 4 in the morning and arrived at hotel at 11:30. Although check in time was 3 they had the rooms cleaned up for all 3 families that we are visiting with. The hotel front office is clean and tidy. Everything from lobby carpet to colors windows and doors etc all new. Rooms are clean and comfortable with good bathrooms. Breakfast was ample at 7:30 in the morning. No big crowd. Yosemite was a pleasant 45 mins drive and we just came back.

I want to say that the hotel meets at least category 3 hotel similar to Fairfield Inn by marriott. I routinely stay in marriott of business and was surprised by all the reviews posted.

Hope this review help others make good judgement. I am also posting photos with this..

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Umang P
Reviewed 6 April 2014

There were so many things wrong with this motel, we actually made made a list. No deadbolt on our room door. We propped the ironing board against the door, in an attempt at security. No iron. There was no heat in the halls, no mirror in the room and the hair dryer was broken. The room door would not close or lock properly. They refused to give us more than one key! Our phone had the message light blinking, continuously. When we contacted the front desk, they told us, they had no idea how to stop it, and hung up. Therefore we had a flashing red beacon, all night, that we had to cover with a towel, so we could sleep. The walls are like paper, we were able to talk to friends in the next room through them. The room was so poorly lit, it was difficult to get dressed. The TV remote was impossible to use. We never did get the TV to work! There were only two awful, flat pillows on each rock hard bed. The first floor is the third floor, and the middle floor is first floor...? Good luck on the elevator. AND the hallway fire extinguisher was pad locked shut!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank CamNJ

Travellers are raving about these Mariposa hotels

creastline,ca
Reviewed 18 November 2013

all I ask for when I book a room is to be able to get a good night's rest.this hotel was owned by another entity some years back .very crappy service back then.these new owners/managers are a far cry from average.i was very pleased with service and accomadations.their rates are very good(think miner's inn is WAY over priced!)my family lives in mariposa and I've booked rooms up and down the main drag.this hotel is well worth the value! give it a try!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank paul g
Fremont, California
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Stay here if you don't have a choice. That's what happened to us, we did not find any other accommodation due to our last minute plan. Reached the hotel late, almost near midnight, to be greeted by a grumpy, sleepy person at the front desk.

Pro: Room was pretty good, bed and linen were fine (we were so exhausted by the time we reached, anything was okay).

Con: Hair drier did not come off it's holder the bath, so not sure why it was there in the first place. Water in the wash basin tap came in a trickle. Just two bath towels in a 2 queen bed room, took forever to get additional towels, we had got ready by the time it came. Breakfast was supposed to be served till 9:30 am, but when we headed down at 9:15, there was almost nothing. The thrash can was overflowing with paper plates and cups, you have to push the pile to dispose your thrash. Very expensive for the what it is worth, can find other good places for the price.

The hotel as such has a potential to be average, but is let down by very poor maintenance and service.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Whitby, Canada
Reviewed 12 October 2013

What a crappy place to stay! The service was TERRIBLE. Have you ever been made to feel that even though you are spending tons of money to stay someplace, that the hotel is somehow doing *you* some sort of favour by "letting" you stay there? Where do I begin? The luggage cart has a flat tire. The elevator does not line up with the floor by several inches so when you step in or out, you trip. The front desk guy and his wife [from India] were EXTREMELY unfriendly. The only instructions for the TV are taped on a piece of paper to the front desk. There are no instructions in the room, where you need them. So when I asked the guy to come in and show me how to operate the TV, it was like he was doing me some huge service! I checked in late, and his wife hollered through the office door, "Don't bother us after 10pm. We need our sleep." The door to my room - 311 - literally required kicking to open and to close! Honest! I am not kidding! The room is ok, I suppose. They claim to serve a continental breakfast from 6:30 to 9:30. I arrived at 9:20am to find absolutely NOTHING. In fact, the coffee pot didn't appear as if it had even been filled, nor were there any crumbs or any sign that there had been any food or drink there whatsoever! I verily believe I am the only [dummy] who is actually staying in this place, and there must be 50 or more rooms! What was even more vexing was that he told me, "Don't make a mess of the room." I'm 54 years old and a professional engineer fer cryin' out loud! I should have stayed at the nice place across the street. Oh well, live and learn, eh? And in case I didn't mention it, Don't stay at the Monarch!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank passthepitonspete
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mariposa
Comfort Inn Yosemite Valley Gateway
Yosemite View Lodge
Yosemite View Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,725 reviews

Been to The Monarch in Mariposa? Share your experiences!