“good value”

Comfort Inn Yosemite Valley Gateway
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Mariposa
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed here for three nights in April. Very convenient to get to Yosemite either through Yosemite Valley or through the Mariposa Grove entrance. We were looking for pretty basic, clean accommodations and we got it. The price was right and the staff was friendly. Some other reviews mentioned that the wifi was slow and it was but certainly not unreasonably slow. The breakfast was fine but by day three it got a little old. The staff was always looking to refill the eggs or top off the pastries. Some of the outlets in the room were so worn, the plugs would fall out when we tried to recharge our phones. I would like to see them add at least a small fridge in the rooms so we could stock up at the Rite Aid or Subway.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank larao68

Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed at the Comfort Inn Yosemite Valley Gateway again for the 2nd year in a row. It is an incredibly convenient hotel to get into and out of Yosemite National Park, being just a short 1 hour drive on Highway 140. It is set back from Highway 140 by a block or two, which means that it does not get any traffic noise at all. In fact, when we woke up this morning, we heard only birds singing and a turkey gobbling somewhere nearby. The beds are extremely comfortable, and they furnish you with two types of pillow: 2 soft pillows and 2 firm pillows on each bed. The rooms are spotless, and offer flat-screen TVs and a small closet to hang coats in. There are also two chairs and a table between them. On each floor, there are recycling bins conveniently located for guests to recycle bottles and cans, which is an environmentally friendly thing to offer!
The hotel offers a guest refrigerator for storage of food overnight - just label your own food and date it.
The clerks at the hotel desk were friendly when we arrived, during our stay, and as we left.
The little town of Mariposa is a cute high-Sierra town with some of the friendliest local people I've ever met. We enjoyed another dinner at the "1850 Restaurant" and enjoyed morning lattes at the "Moonbow Cafe". At night, it is not uncommon to see people out walking on the streets, going to dinner or for drinks. It really is a charming place.

1  Thank wlntcrkca
Gopal D, Front Desk at Comfort Inn Yosemite Valley Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Thank you for being a repeat traveler, we always enjoy seeing familiar faces. Please come visit us again next time you visit Yosemite.

Comfort Inn Yosemite Gateway
209-966-4344

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Our room (or maybe I should say rooms) was in Evergreen House, one of three buildings which are separate to the main hotel building. Although there was only the two of us on this occasion, we had two adjoining rooms, each with a queen bed in it and each with identical contents. We avoided the temptation to sleep in separate beds in separate rooms and used one of the rooms throughout our stay.
Evergreen House is at the top of a steep car park, and away from the main entrance which allowed us to park outside the door to the room whenever we returned, but of course we had to walk outside to reach the main building for breakfast - no real issue except on wet days - our third and final day was a wet day.
The rooms are in need of an update with very tired decor and rooms showing the signs of previous repair jobs, which all added up to a feeling of the rooms being grubby. There was nothing particularly wrong with the rooms, but nothing particularly inviting either.
Wifi connectivity was pretty poor and seemed intermittent - a real shame since around Yosemite you rely on Wifi as mobile data connectivity is just about non existent, so it's useful to arrive back at your hotel and catch up on messages and emails.
There was a lack of working sockets to support the supplied hair dryer and coffee maker, or to charge our mobile devices. Good job we had the sockets in the second room to meet this need. No problem with electricity supply itself though, when I looked out of our bedroom window I could see nothing but solar panels, probably stretching the size of two tennis courts.
The hotel is in a superb spot for visiting Yosemite, and its location in Mariposa is ideal, although walking up steep streets (and the car park) will be a challenge for some people. Mariposa itself is a very nice town with all amenities, attractive shops, and a couple of great diners (Happy Burger and Sugar Pine, which are definitely worth a visit).

Room Tip: Avoid the Evergreen House rooms which are up the hill at the top of the car park, and gave rise to t...
3  Thank VisitorfromFLUSA
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We booked our one night stay through expedia about 6 months before our trip. After looking at a lot of towns around the valley, as well as inside the valley, we chose to make our overnight trip in Mariposa because Comfort Inn was just that well priced.

I tried to confirm our booking via telephone while we were in Yosemite Valley, but did not have cell reception. I didn't need to worry though because they happily had our booking. They were very friendly.

The room was adequately sized and very clean. We stayed in #107.

The pool and spa were a joy after a long day hiking and sightseeing in the valley.

This hotel is located within walking distance to a number of restaurants. Our choice (which was well made as the food was to die for) was Savoury's.

The pillows were amazing, the bed was satisfactory, and it was very quiet.

The complimentary breakfast had eggs, waffles, sausage, as well as many other basic continental breakfast foods like cereals and toast. I was surprised at how nice it was considering it was free breakfast.

Overall, very happy with our stay. Cleanliness and service were A+.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 April 2014

On Dec. 4, 2013, I called the hotel (not the national, central reservations number) and booked the 2-bedroom suite for four nights in June 2014. I must say that the person I spoke to was very helpful and I confirmed the reservation with a credit card. I called yesterday, in April, to ask a question about the hotel and was told that they only me down for 1 night, that the second and fourth nights I needed were available but the third night was completely booked and no rooms were available. I was told that they would add the second and fourth night to my existing reservation and told me to call the general manager the next day to see if anything could be done about the third night. I called today and learned the second and fourth nights were not added to my reservation; furthermore, the fourth night was no longer available. They were polite but they weren't interested in trying to fix the mistake. In the end, I had book at another hotel that was $40 per night higher and did not offer breakfast. Don't have your vacation plans ruined - make sure they get your reservation right at the time of booking and then call to reconfirm. If you book directly through the hotel, double-check the reservation through the national reservations system.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ajcolorado
Reviewed 20 April 2014

My companion and I recently stayed at this motel for 2 nights to visit Yosemite Park. Overall, we thought that this motel provided good value for the low price we paid. Several hotels within Yosemite Park charge between $200 - $300 a night, so we thought that Comfort Inn Yosemite Valley Gateway was a great alternative for those (like us) who are budget-conscious and not too fussy about accommodations.

Overall, the room was adequate for our needs. It was a basic, no-frills room where we could get a good night's sleep and take a hot shower. Our room was a bit small and some of the furniture, carpet, and wallpaper seemed quite old and in need of an upgrade, but the cleaning was quite satisfactory and the shower, lamps, doors, etc were all in good working order. The beds and pillows were reasonably comfortable. We were glad to have satellite TV with several specialty channels and Wifi with a fairly reliable connection. Overall, I was quite satisfied with the room. I was not expecting a Hilton-like experience, so the room met my expectations and I was not disappointed with my stay.

The breakfast also met my expectations, considering that it was complimentary. Again, I was not expecting a gourmet meal, but you could get some decent waffles, toast, cereal, juices, and coffee. It was more convenient than having to look for breakfast elsewhere.

Location-wise, the motel is within walking distance of a few shops and restaurants. The gas station and grocery store were nearby. Before heading to Yosemite Park each day, we picked up sandwiches from the Subway location nearby. Yosemite Park is about a 45 minute drive away from Mariposa, but driving along highway 140 to get to the park is quite scenic. Alternatively, you could take the YARTS shuttle, which has a stop in Mariposa.

One other tip about traveling to this motel: if you are driving in from the north and are afraid of heights, highway 49 to get into Mariposa can be quite scary since the roads are very narrow and winding and overlook a cliff without any guard rails or shoulder. We took highway 140 when we were leaving Mariposa and found it to be a much better route.

3  Thank Tigerlily80
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel is OK. We didn't find it to bad. Stayed for 5 nights and it was a bit noisy. The neighborhood turkey will wake you up about 6:30 every morning if your staying in the south end of the complex. Breakfast is OK, but we found the morning meal was better in town just down the street.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kirk P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mariposa
Yosemite Cedar Lodge
Comfort Inn Yosemite Area
Yosemite View Lodge
Yosemite View Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal

Been to Comfort Inn Yosemite Valley Gateway? Share your experiences!