“Disappointed”

Comfort Inn Yosemite Valley Gateway
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Mariposa
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed here for two nights while visiting Yosemite. I had read reviews before making our reservation and it seemed like a good place to stay. Check-in went smoothly, and the staff were all very friendly. The outside grounds were lovely. But when we went into our room, our disappointment began. The room was very small & dated and the carpet not in good shape, and the room had a musty smell. The beds we slept on were comfortable though and the bedding seemed like the new versions of other Comforts we had been in recently, but the curtains and carpet did not match the bedding and were old and dated. The bathroom was tiny! But the bathroom sink was our biggest complaint ~ the faucet was the old one knob plastic style and it did not work ~ it had two settings, off or full blast on. No matter how much the four of us staying in our room tried to get it to come on just a little ~ it always came on full blast and splashed water all over our clothes and the sink area, which made putting anything on the sink impossible because water was everywhere! There was hair on the floor in the bathroom and the baseboard was filthy~ looked like it had not been cleaned in a long time. I think the maids must rush through their cleaning or don't care.
Breakfast was the same as at most Comforts ~ we didn't have a complaint about that.
We just feel as busy as this hotel is and what they charge, they should have the updates done and everything should be in good working order and clean. That is what we are paying for.

Room Tip: Ask for ground floor if you can't do stairs. They were accommodating about that and we were tha...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BethP425
Comfort Inn S, Front Desk at Comfort Inn Yosemite Valley Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2015

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. We hope that in time that you can try our hotel again and let us try to provide a better stay.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Comfortable beds. Nice sheets, coffee maker etc. Noisy A/C unity.
Nasty breakfast but I understand that all Comfort Inns must serve the same powdered eggs and cheap sweet rolls etc. The coffee wasn't very good.

The receptionist was lovely and welcoming.

Room Tip: go out for breakfast. Even the coffee sucks~
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Gopal D, Front Desk at Comfort Inn Yosemite Valley Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

We thank you for taking the time to write a review about us. We do apologize about your discontent about our breakfast, and we are always trying to find new products and different brands that guest will enjoy more. If you do visit Yosemite again, please keep us in mind.

Comfort Inn

Reviewed 30 May 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights as a base for visiting Yosemite National Park. The room was lovely and spacious with 2 double queen beds and the free breakfast buffet was a bonus. Mariposa is a quaint, quiet town that we found very restful. We were out exploring Yosemite from early til late on most days so didn't make use of the other facilities such as the pool area but they looked good. A good, reasonably priced place to stay when in the Yosemite area.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Gopal D, Front Desk at Comfort Inn Yosemite Valley Gateway, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Thank You for your Review. We know how busy and stressful vacations can be, We're glad you found our Town/ Hotel restful during you vacation.

Comfort Inn Yosemite Gateway

Reviewed 28 May 2014

It was quiet and clean. Everything worked and I had no complaints. It is located on a bit of a hillside, so walking around to and from town might be a little difficult for non-hikers. Close to several good places to eat and of course close to Yosemite.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your response, we're happy we could meet you expectations.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Just stayed here for two nights. The location is good if you are visiting Yosemite and want to stay outside the park. There are a fair number of restaurants in this old quaint mining town. I think it took us a little over an hour to get to Yosemite Valley.

Front desk personnel was above average, even called the room a little while after we had settled in to see if everthing was ok.

The decor of the room was nice. The mattresses were above average, at least in our room. The internet access was good, tv reception good. Bath had a fairly new vanity counter top.

Good breakfast, decent-sized seating area.

Minuses- The showerhead was very low, about 5'5'' high. Also, the toilet seat was abnormally small. It felt weird using it, and I'm average-sized. I can't imagine how a larger person would deal with it.

All in all not great, not bad either. I would stay here again. Would probably give 3 1/2 stars if able.

Room Tip: No elevators, so first floor is nice, plus closer to your vehicle.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ForgottenTraveller

Thank you for taking the time to post about our Hotel. We appreciate the Reviews good and bad. With both of these, It lets us know what people enjoy about us, as well as what we can improve on.

Comfort Inn Yosemite Gateway

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I booked two nights in their own website choicehotels.com, I checked in April 25th and checked out in April 27th. When I enter into my room, I felt the room condition is fare and the bed is clean, but somehow I felt something walked through my body when I slept in mid night, at that moment, I did not realize it's bed bugs, in the second day, my arms felt very itchy, and in the third day, the itch in both of my arms accompanied by redness and swelling, and I counted there's total 11 abscesses, then I finally realized this caused by bed bugs. I told this issue to front desk staff, there's two ladies sit in the front desk, they felt very sorry for me, but did nothing. They did not even give me antiseptic or a discount for the room charge. The 11 abscesses are shrinking but still very itchy since then, I felt I have to share my experience to the other travelers, so I wrote a review on choicehotels.com on May 5th, and guess what? they removed my review from their website and only leave the good review on it.

So travelers, from their attitude, be careful to choose this hotel and be aware of BED BUGS!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
15  Thank Michelle Z

We do apologize for that large Inconvenience you experienced at our hotel.
That is something we do take very seriously. With guest traveling all over the world, things like that do happen at most hotels/ or motels. But it is something we do check for in our rooms. We use the latest methods to be both safe for our guests, as well as be rid of the problem. If you do decide to stay again with us, we can assure you that something like that won't happen again.

Comfort Inn

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Stayed in 4 room building separate from main building, it had common sitting area and porch. Room was small as stated online, queen bed. Bathroom needs updating along with furniture. Analog tv , no sleep timer. Air unit had constant on which is good for air movement and noise control. Breakfast good with lots of choices. Bed comfy. Price high for what you get, expect more from Choice Hotels. Normally stay at Comfort Suites, more modern places. Overall not up to standards.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mariposa
Yosemite Cedar Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal
Miners Inn Motel
Miners Inn Motel
#1 of 6 in Mariposa

Been to Comfort Inn Yosemite Valley Gateway? Share your experiences!