All reviewsgame room with poolno cell phone serviceworkout equipmenthost mikehummingbirdsdriveparkyosemiterefrigeratorgpsmiles
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Our teenage son summed up the visit well. Highland House was like coming home to a place you could visit yearly for the rest of your life! Though the owner was out of town, he left us in the good hands of Lizzie who made sure that we were welcomed when we arrived and every thing needed was provided for. We purposely 'unwired' ourselves for the weekend and left the laptops behind. There is WiFi and a computer in the house had we needed it. The house has LOTS of room to enjoy! A living room, dining room, kitchen, and family room with TV and pool table all are at your disposal. My family and I have stayed at a number of B&B's and up until this point, we have never been given free reign in the kitchen. We were encouraged to help ourselves to anything we found in the kitchen and fresh cookies and banana bread were made daily. We were given several snack foods to take with us to Yosemite so we didn't even buy lunch at the park. Our first night there, we went out to dinner in Mariposa (see my review of "Savoury's") and our second night we bought groceries and made dinner at the house. It was great to have access to the kitchen and all the spices and such that normally make cooking such a hassle when you are away from home. Things like Saran Wrap and spices were all there to use and it made the evening so enjoyable and relaxing after a very long day of hiking in Yosemite. If you have food issues as I know some families do, this would be great because there is a frig., freezer and a kitchen for you to use. We watched one of the DVDs, played pool and I took a great soak in the tub in the Forest Room. I think the only thing that wasn't perfect - but not the fault of Highland House was the very loud GOBBLE GOBBLE GOBBLE that woke us up at 5:00 a.m. both mornings. The turkeys run wild and though impressively huge and fun to snap pictures of, I couldn't help but think of Thanksgiving dinner. Some people have complained of the distance one travels from Highland to the entrance of Yosemite (approx, 45 min.) but knowing this before we went allowed us to kick back, enjoy the ride and soak in the incredible scenery. As others suggested, I wouldn't want to try and find the place at night. Though the signs are very good, I couldn't imagine trying to find my way in the pitch black of the forest. Go there in daylight and be careful of the deer running across the roads during dusk.

Room Tip: The Forest Room is the largest and nicest of the three. We were two adults and a teenager and there was plenty of room.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 April 2013

Stayed here as a base for Yosemite. What a great place. The Forest retreat room was great. it's private bath room with soak in tub and double faucet showwers, The room was large and sunny with a great working fireplace. The breakfast was cooked nicely. Lot's of wild life and just away enough from the Yosemite crowds. A nice drive along triangle road and it's switch backs and dinamic turns and you are at the park. Warm and cozey with a nice TV and also WiFi and internet.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MattA612
Reviewed 20 February 2013

We stayed here only for 1 night and it was our only regret on our 2 week trip to the USA to have not stayed 2 nights. We arrived late after a full day at Yosemite to what we felt like was arriving home. Beautiful house, bedrooms & breakfast. Only place to stay when visiting Yosemite, one we will remember forever.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rachelsIreland
Reviewed 18 January 2013

Our family of 5 stayed only for one night on the way to Yosemite and needed to rooms. Although expensive, it was excellent. There we lots of humming birds incredibly close to the window which was a amazing, as well as deers and turkeys in the garden. Great furnishing. We were able to use the games room and the living room and even the kitchen to cook our own supper. The owners and staff didnt stay overnight but popped in after we arrived to meet us and the other couple staying, and to make breakfast in the morning, which was delicious. Secluded but close enough for a quick journey to Yosemite the next morning. Wifi connection was handy. Loved it.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Ruth W
Reviewed 14 January 2013

I am typically not a fan of B&Bs, but I had a fantastic stay at the Highland House. I wanted to stay near Yosemite but did not want to pay the high amounts to stay in the park itself. The Highland House was about one half-hour drive to Yosemite and was resonably priced. If you feel like you are heading into the middle of nowhere, you are probably going the right way. :)

I stayed in the Forest Retreat room. It included a four-poster bed, walk-in shower, huge bathtub, table, and cute window seat. It was very clean and featured nice linens. I did not hear any noise from other visitors throughout the night. The B&B has a large living room for use, including a large DVD collection (you can take a DVD and watch it in your room) and games. Breakfast is included, and they allow you to take "extras" for the hike. The yard is large, and deer, hummingbird, and other wildlife regularly walk right up to the house. Amazing stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple