“The very Best B&B”

Ranked #2 of 21 Mariposa B&B and Inns
Wichita, Kansas
“The very Best B&B”
Reviewed 19 July 2007

We had a wedding Party stay at this house for 3 nights. It was all we could have hoped for and more. You absoutley feel at home though your enitre stay. The house is set up with every thing you need and then some. Excellent selection of Games, Movies, Books and other enternainmet options. The house offers A wonderful Breakfast with fresh fruit along with the meal. ALso Spectual view of bird and wildlife can be had at the house. My hats off to the owners what an excellent job. Thanks again

• Liked — Breakfast was awsome and Being Away from the world
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank TX_Flyer001

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Fresno, CA
Reviewed 19 July 2007

After my third stay at Highland House in June (I’ve also been there in the spring and fall), I don’t know which times I liked best. If you’re from the central California valley like I am, summer at Highland (4,000 feet) is 10 degrees cooler than Fresno. The summer animals are wonderful – several species of birds including a wild turkey mamma a two chicks, and as I looked up from reading my book on the lounge on the lawn a full-grown deer had snuck into the lower meadow just 30 feet from me and looked directly at me as if to say, “Peace, brother. I am here to nibble.”

Inside the dining room with my camera next to chin I faced the wall then stepped sideways in front of the window and caught a hummingbird on the other side of the window in mid air next to the feeder. We were two feet away from each other. Click, and again, click, 15 more times. Wow! One had emerald feathers on its back and tail. Another had a golden rust head that seemed to reflect the flames of the sun. The resonance of their high speed wings and bodies frozen in space is truly poetic. I am going to try to include a close-up of one and one of a gray fox on the back step looking back at the camera. One night a red fox with a really long bushy tale came up to the back door.

However, I like the spring and fall when there are no other guests and I pretend the house is all mine forever.

Free laundry, good food, refrigerator for guests, and much more.

• Liked — Clean, cool well water
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled solo
2 Thank FresnoMikey
UK
Reviewed 6 June 2007

Just stayed at Highland house for 3 nights with my girlfriend Amy.
It looked nice on the website, but the pictures just do not do it justice- it is a wonderful place. We arrived at night and it was pitch dark but with some good directions from the owner we found it ok.
When we got there, we were met by Mike the owner- what a great guy. he showed us the whole house, even though it was after 10pm and made us feel really at home, encouraging us to use all of the great facilities in the house.
He even arranged for me to go mountainbike riding with one of his friends after finding out we shared a passion for it- it was a great ride too.
We had the smallest room, as it was the only one available for the nights we wanted at short notice, but we need not have worried-the room was really nice, and a good size with a large bathroom. The bed was one of the most comfy I have ever slept in, with good bedding too. The other two rooms were bigger, and also very nice, with the biggest one having a fireplace, and big armchairs in it!
If the house was good, the garden was even better- a lovely place to spend time, with lots of wildlife, and very peaceful.
We felt just like we were at home for the entire stay, and both of us said it was probably the best place we'd ever stayed- and between us we have a lot of travelling experience.
We will definately go back- overall, I cant rate the accomodation, or the hospitality highly enough. Absolutely 10 out of 10.

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — I couldn't stay longer.
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank JimUK
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 20 February 2007

My husband and I had a rough start to the beginning of the year. I will spare you the details, but suffice as to say that we really needed to get away. Since neither of us had ever been to Yosemite and had no idea about the Mariposa area, we sought advice from this website and others. That is how we happened to find Highland House Bed & Breakfast.

From the start, Michael (the inn's owner) was great. I peppered him with questions about the B&B, Mariposa and the park. He was always quick to respond, knowledgeable and willing to offer help. We made our reservation for the long President's day weekend, and packed our bags.

When we arrived at the inn, our first words were "Wow". Highland House is up a gravel drive way, set way back from the main road. We arrived at night and it was incredibly dark. As you ascend the drive way, you see the cottage in a warm glow of low lights inviting you in. Michael's son Daniel welcomed us into the home as we arrived. Michael came out to greet us and then took us on a tour of the inn. From the pictures on the website, Highland house appears small, but don't be fooled. This place is large with generous rooms. There is a large kitchen where everyone seems to gather, a game room, a movie library to use in the game room or you room, books and a computer for use, should you need it. The last stop on the tour is our room, the romantic Forest Retreat, the largest of the three guest rooms. Upon entering we were impressed with the large four post bed, massive stone (wood burning) fire place, and window seat. The bathroom is nicely decorated with blond stone tile, a double headed shower large enough for at least two and a soaking tub. Before leaving us in our room, he tells us that we should not feel confined to our suite, the house is open to us. He also invited us down have a glass of wine with himself and the other guests once we are settled in.

The grounds of the inn are a great place to watch the may creatures. Breakfast time brings out many birds including lots of humming birds, also squirrels and, even the occasional dear. At night, choose a reclining lawn chair or hammock and watch the stars twinkle high above. If you are feeling adventurous, you can take on of the lanterns and go for an evening stroll.

In the mornings, Elizabeth would come and make us all nice breakfasts to get us off to a great start on our day. However, one morning Michael's girlfriend Alex made us and the other guest toasted croissants with all the trimmings for breakfast. It was yummy. One of the best things about the Highland house were the people. Sitting around talking to everyone make you feel less like strangers and more like new friends.

I hate to tell everyone about how much fun we had and how great it was to stay at Highland House, because we want to keep the secret to ourselves. However, we also want others to experience the great time that we had. Michael and the rest truly gave my husband and I an experience we won't soon forget and gave us a fresh start on the rest of the year.

• Liked — Romantic room
  • Disliked — Can't think of a thing
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Micachou
Melbourne
Reviewed 14 June 2006

Highland House has to be the highlight of our trip to California! Firstly the house is in an idyllic location, quiet and lots of wildlife. The house itself is so beautiful a large lounge to relax in, there is a good selection of books, movies and music to keep you entertained. If that is not enough there is also a pool table and other games in a separate games room. Our room was large with a very comfortable bed, open fire (not that we needed it the house was always cosy and warm) and a couple of large armchairs. The bathroom had a separate shower and spa bath. Breakfast was fantastic every morning, lots of food and great quality. To sit at the breakfast table and have hummingbirds outside the window was just amazing. The kitchen is open to guests so if you want a snack you are more than welcome to help yourself. The hosts Mike and Alex are wonderful, they made us feel very welcome and had good information on the area to share. I just can't say enough about Highland House, just go there are experience what all bed and breakfasts should be like.

• Stayed May 2006
2 Thank fattima
Wales
Reviewed 4 May 2006

We had a great stay at Highland House. It was the perfect retreat to come back to after a day roaming around Yosemite. Mike made us very welcome and has great knowledge about the surrounding area. The house itself is spotless and has plenty of space for people to relax in the evening without feeling cramped. It was great just to listen to music in the pool room after a hard days hiking with a few cold ones! As mentioned in previous reviews the breakfasts were top notch and set us up for the day.

Would we go back ? Tomorrow, if we could !

• Stayed July 2005
3 Thank KingJones
Northern California
Reviewed 13 November 2005

Me and the missus stayed two nights at Highland House in Nov. 2005. We were quite pleased. Large comfortable house, nicely appointed rooms, good food, friendly hosts. I would certainly recommend this Inn to anyone looking for a quite, comfortable, out of the way place to relax. The drive there can be a bit of an adventure, especially after dark, but the experience is well worth it.

• Stayed November 2005
3 Thank sandybeach509
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mariposa
Evergreen Lodge at Yosemite
#1 of 2 in El Portal
Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite
Yosemite Bug Rustic Mountain Resort
BEST WESTERN PLUS Yosemite Way Station Motel

Been to Highland House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!