“Well....at least the AC worked well”
Review of Yosemite Inn

Yosemite Inn
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Mariposa
Reviewed 7 August 2005

This was the only hotel near Yosemite we could find on short notice and if we hadn't been tired when we pulled up at about 7pm on the Saturday of our reservation we would have tried to get out of the reservation. Since the hotel still had rooms available when we pulled in, chances are a few others had this reaction and kept going. When we went to the office, we were greeted by a young woman who informed us she should have been gone a long time ago since she'd only stopped by to help her sister.

This is the epitome of a barely one star hotel. EC Lodge is an older facility that hasn't necessarily been lovingly maintained. The hotel is an "L" shaped two story facility loacated around the edge of a large expanse of uninterrupted black asphalt. Outside each room is a plastic "cocktail" table and two plastic chairs from which to view the baking, heat radiating asphalt parking lot.

The room was on the okay side of bleak. We had a "Palm Queen" which was supposedly nicer than the regular queen. It did have a plastic palm tree and a Walmart style portable refrigerator. The sheets were acceptable, the bedding a little scary and the carpet not conducive to walking around barefoot. The bathroom was clean enough - except for the black ceiling mold.

The hotel provides "5 star luxury resort" towels and the sign it drapes over them provides a good laugh. There are extensive warnings about not using the towels to remove makeup, clean your shoes, or wipe up spills. They also invite you to purchase a bath towel, hand towel, and washcloth for $45. We were traveling with our kids (age 13 and 16) and paid extra for four in the room.....however, we were only given three sets of towels.

We ate in town at the Red Fox--dinner for the four of us was $90 Although the food was good, I wouldn't recommend stopping here in the summer because the restaurant was too hot to be able to stay and eat. The waitress told us the owner is just too frugal to turn the AC below 88 degrees. We were actually relieved to get back to the room because even though it was noisy, the AC kept the room delightfully cool.

The kids checked out the pool (very tiny) and decided to pass on a swim because it hadn't been maintained in a while. It needed to be vacuumed and chemicals updated. Scary was how the kids described it.

The breakfast was no frills but adequate. The waffle makers were both broken and the juice machine hadn't been cleaned out in a long time -judging from the mold-slime build up on the dispenser nozzles. The cereal, milk, sweet rolls, toast and bagels were good. There was even cream cheese.

The surpising part of the stay was the bill. We had been told $149 when we booked the room. The bill ended up being $109.

After driving through town to look at other lodging, I'd recommend the new Comfort Inn. It's the nicest hotel in Mariposa. Or if you want to be closer to Yosemite and can get a reservation, The Yosemite View Lodge and Cedar Lodge in El Portal both looked promising.

• Stayed: July 2005
8  Thank wannaworkforAAA

Reviewed 6 July 2005

I stayed at the EC Lodge over the Memorial Day weekend and was lucky to get a room at $56 + taxes. (booked 5 months in advance, other hotels were $90+)

Pros:

1. Spacious rooms with microwaves and fridge.
2. Mariposa has a decent selection of restaurants and amenities, as opposed to other nearby park towns such as El Portal.
3. Complimentary breakfast on premises was a money saver, and a great time saver if you wanted to get to the park as early as possible to avoid the rush on a holiday weekend.
4. The hostess/staff were cordial and helpful with directions etc.

Cons:

1. The hotel does appear to be old, as some other reviewers have written. But it is nowhere as bad as some posts suggest.
2. Worn out carpets. We actually had a few small bugs in the floor - maybe because it is an "open" hotel as opposed to some of those "closed" buildings.
4. Not a comment on the hotel itself, but Yosemite is a good 1 hour drive from the hotel. So if you plan to see the sunset at Glacier Point in the summer, you better have dinner beforehand because hotels in Mariposa close at around 9. Plus driving through the single lane winding roads at night for an hour is not a fun experience.

Bottomlime:

I think I got value for money this time around. Next time, I'll probably shell out $60 more per day and try to stay nearer the park in El Portal or inside the park.

• Stayed: May 2005
5  Thank FrmNJ
A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 18 June 2005

Made a late reservation for Mariposa and knew there wouldn't be much available. Found the EC Lodge and seemed like a pretty good choice. Well, a few days after making my reservation I thought maybe I should see if there were reviews of the place, when I found this site and I thought OOOPS! With such terrible reviews I quickly launched a massive search for someplace else, and came up with only one motel with a smoking room available. So I thought, well, I'll just grin and bear it, if I can survive the Panamint Springs Resort (see my review of that dive) I can handle the EC Lodge.

I don't what the other reviewers' rooms were, but mine was just fine. The room was clean, very spacious, had nice beds, a large TV, microwave and refrigerator and typically small but functional bathroom. I did notice what I interpreted to be a "new carpet smell", so maybe the room had been refurbished lately. The swimming pool was small but reasonably clean, and while I didn't try the whirlpool it looked ok. The continental breakfast was very good, especially the do-it-yourself waffles, the only weaknesses being the typical way too small breakfast room and that there was no fruit. The only "problem" I had with the whole experience was that the sink drain was a little slow, that's it.

The motel itself is a little old and has that 1950's "Route 66" type of look and feel. In another 10 years it might even qualify as a "retro" motel, just add those 25 cent machines that make the bed vibrate.

I'd recommend the EC Lodge to anyone unless they need a fancy place.

• Stayed: June 2005
15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
haverhill ma
Reviewed 26 April 2005

My stay at the E C Lodge was not a stay it was a very quick visit . Maybe it lasted 5 1/2 minutes . For the price your paying you would think that it would be alot cleaner. Just remember to look at a room before you pay for it.

• Stayed: April 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 24 April 2005

We stayed about 5 minutes before checking out. Now I understand their 24 hour advance cancellation policy--once you see the place in person, you don't want to stay there. I have stayed in hotels for 1/2 the price of this room, which were much nicer and cleaner. While the clerk was apologetic when we approached her and told her the room was less than desireable, she was friendly and somewhat apologetic, but stated their cancellation policy in no uncertain terms.

The doors to all the rooms look less than desireable. Upon opening the door to our "Suite", it was all one could do to stifle a laugh. The carpets were old, worn and dingy, the armoires were held closed with folded pieces of toilet paper, the curtains (which were less than desireable to the touch) opened to a lovely view of a dingy garage wall next door (complete with view of their air conditioning unit sticking out of the wall), the sleeper sofa was on a 90 degree angle---the sleeper wouldn't even fold down into the sofa so that you could sit on it if you wanted to, and their "5 Star Egyptian Cotton" towels were retreads from a 5 star hotel from 20 years ago, and were just barely hanging on the wall on the towel racks. The mirror over the bathroom sink also looked as though it would fall at a light touch.
The "kitchenette" was no more than a shelf nailed to a wall with a microwave sitting on top of a refrigerator at the end.
Their "relaxing" pool and spa were filthy. There is very little room to sit down around the pool and about the only view you get is that of the filter house.

• Stayed: April 2005
11  Thank berk
Reviewed 3 August 2004

We slept there for two days. It was OK except that the room was infested with ants. Once we started the air conditionning they went away. The breakfast is good (no fruits).

8  Thank Snorkling_man
Reviewed 1 July 2004

We stayed two nights...the room was very clean (newly remodeled) and the people were friendly and helpful...the pool was out of service and although the drive to the park was gorgeous, it was a long way there (30 some miles). Also the toilet ran slow and we thought it might overflow a couple of times and we had to wait for some audit to be done before we could check out (about thirtly mins.). All in all, it wasn't a bad plalce, but I would choose another location closer to the park and a little nicer next time I visit Yosemite. The Red Fox restaurant right up the highway had great, affordable food.

• Stayed: January 2005
9  Thank bklynhoosier
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mariposa
Comfort Inn Yosemite Valley Gateway
Yosemite Southgate Hotel & Suites
Miners Inn Motel
Miners Inn Motel
#1 of 6 in Mariposa

Been to Yosemite Inn? Share your experiences!