“super good chile verde”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Definitely order anything on the menu, but the chili verde is truly outstanding. very small place, very warm if weather is warm. beer could be a little colder but the ambiance is nice and the folks are very helpful and the food is outstanding! 100 feet off the main rd through town.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

If you love your Mexican food like I do, you'll love this smaller sized restaurant well worth the price and excellent food.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Our small group of 6 stopped on May 8th, 2014, from a day trip to Yosemite for dinner. We were seated right away with chips and salsa that were plentiful. What a refreshing spot to stop and enjoy a nice casual dinner. The owner is a lovely lady and so accommodating. Great service with a selection of food that you can satisfy your hunger.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

We ate dinner here with our teenage son on a Monday night as we were driving back from Yosemite. The place was filled with customers, so it seems to be a popular spot among the locals. I LOVE Mexican food... I've been eating various kinds of it all my life from simple to complex. Castillo's food definitely falls in the "simple" end of the taste and ingredient spectrum. And that is fine. I like simple. Unfortunately, something was lacking here. Food was marginally "okay". I am left wondering if the food comes from fresh sources, or out of cans. Chips were heavy. A thinner chip fried in a lighter, fresher oil would be nicer.

Our son's beef taco had some kind of mushy rice in it. Shell was good (in a chewy sort of way), but meat mix was unusual and lacking flavor. Perhaps we ordered the wrong dishes?

Bathroom was clean and has a cute sink. Service was average. I guess if you don't like any spice in your Mexican food this could be a good spot for you, but I like some hint of taste and freshness, and for that reason I am rating this spot "Average".

1  Thank EPMom4
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

Chile Rallenos were the recommendation from our waiter, so I ordered one on a combo, and my husband ordered the Ralleno in the burrito with guacamole and beans. We both enjoyed every bite!