“Little Valley Inn, Mariposa - Really Enjoyed our stay!”
Review of Little Valley Inn

Little Valley Inn
Ranked #16 of 21 Mariposa B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We stayed at the Little Valley Inn at Mariposa on 11/12/13 May 2012. We really enjoyed our three nights. Christine, the innkeeper gave us a wonderful welcome and provided us with some great tips of places to visit whist we were in the area. She also helped immensely with the planning of our visit to Yosemite. Our room, which was of a cowboy theme, was very nice. We will definitely stay at the Little Valley Inn again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank David N

Reviewed 30 May 2012

We liked our cottage at the Little Valley Inn. Having the kitchen, especially the refrigerator, was helpful for packing lunches for our days in Yosemite. The flower gardens are pretty and fit the setting. The back property is very serene. Christine was extremely helpful in planning our days. We especially appreciated her alerting us to a road closure one day.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Suite Dreams cottage and liked it. It was spacious and a kitchen.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank daryaalaska
Reviewed 20 May 2012

The only thing to recommend this place is that it is quiet. There, that's it. It isn't particularly scenic. It was HOT and the air conditioning is a joke. It might have cooled off, but the innkeeper rushes in as soon as you leave and turns it off. The "breakfast" was a selection of stale toast ore dry bagel or a bit of cereal. Yeah, the decor is out of date, but who cares?

Plan on being out of touch. There is no cell service. But if you sit in just the right spot, you can get a weak wifi signal.

Plan on driving 20 miles for dinner. Or just stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank K W
LVI, Owner at Little Valley Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2012

So let me see if I understand what you are saying. You waited 8 months, then decided to write a negative review. You complained it was hot weather and that I turned off the air conditioning after you left for the day. Well, I do not cool guest's luggage all day long. That is ludicrous. I cannot control the weather, sometimes it is still warm in September.

Breakfast is continental which means toast, bagels, cereal, etc. I always at EVERY breakfast also include fresh fruit, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal, juice....I guess you forgot to mention all of the more then 10 choices I have each day.

If you drove 20 miles for dinner, that is your own fault. Mariposa is only 7.5 miles and is loaded with great restaurants; PLUS there is a great diner 1 block away from my Inn.

This is a rural, mountainous area and cell phone coverage is quite sporadic; which is to be expected. I do not have cell service here, which is why I have a pay phone outside.

I have added an extender for my WIFI, because the furthest room from the house received a weak signal. Sorry you were inconvenienced and had to find the "right spot."

I wrote every word that is on my website and I do NOT overstate anything. I have never claimed to have wonderful vistas. My property is in a "little valley", not on top of a mountain. There are over 100 fabulous, towering Oak trees and they contribute to my wonderful park-like setting.

Reviewed 21 September 2011

The reviews on this lodging are very diverse. I booked Little Valley Inn mostly from descriptive information on their website, which I think is more than a little exaggerated. Unfortunately it was very hot and dry in the country, their trail was overgrown and no creek to be found. To be fair, the front garden was nice and watered. After spending long days in Yosemite, we just didn't really need the natural setting of the lodging. Although our room was clean, it was quite outdated. One thing we really liked was having the mini refrigerator available in our room and a small sitting area other than the bed.

The host does have good information on Yosemite if you need it, but we came with lots of information of our own and a plan for our time in the park. She gave very helpful suggestions on getting around traffic when a wildfire closed the Arch Rock entrance to the park.

The Inn location states Mariposa, but it was further out of town than I expected. A great spot for stargazing, peace and quite, but If you want to be close to restaurants, groceries, or shopping, you might choose to stay in town at Mariposa or in Oakhurst which is closest to the park South entrance.

Room Tip: The full size cabin might be an economical choice for a family, but couples looking for a litttle ch...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank onagetaway
Reviewed 26 August 2011

We were looking forward to our stay here as a break from chain motels/hotels but were very disappointed. The owner was pleasant enough but everything seemed to be done on the cheap. Towels were terrible, threadbare,bedding was outdated as was kitsch room decor. Breakfast at a bed and breakfast should surely be better than in a cheap motel ? Not here - ran out on first day ! Owner barely appeared at breakfast or at any other time so we had to ring the desk bell to tell her what we needed! Money appears to be her only motivation. Stay in the lovely village instead. Pop's Diner in the nearby Shell garage was a plus point - friendly and fab burgers.

• Stayed: August 2011
5  Thank Epmj
LVI, Owner at Little Valley Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2011

Unfortunately, I remember this day very well. I was busy trying to deal with a family emergency during the breakfast time hours. It is why I was not seen very much during that time. But the bell is there for a reason, to ring if you need me. I am sure most guests did not mind that I was not hovering over their breakfast. Since I give an overview about the Park at check-in and cover most questions at that time; it is easy and convenient for guests to eat and then head out to the Park. I often times run out of breakfast supplies on the buffet table, since the table does not hold a lot at one time. But you failed to mention that I was very quick to resupply the food. Maybe my linens are not the 500 thread count plush ones you expected. And it is unfortunate that you did not appreciate the Ansel Adams prints in your room. But if I was motivated by money, I would certainly be charging a lot more for my rooms. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay.

Reviewed 24 August 2011

I just stayed at the Little Valley Inn this past weekend (8/19-8/20). I have spent a whole month looking at hotel reviews and trying to find a good place to stay near Yosemite. Here's what I found....Christine the owner..is Awesome. From the moment I got there, she helped me figure out what i wanted to go do in the little amount of time I had. She was very helpful and nice. The rooms were in my opinion probably better than what you would get at the main hotels in town. For one, you are not near all the hustle and bustle of the tourists. You are only 7 miles from Mariposa and about 25 miles from Oakhurst. I was looking at the hotels when I was in town. Mind you I couldn't go inside, but just from looking at the outside, I was paying probably cheaper than what they were paying at the comfort and best western in Mariposa, and getting alot more room. The mattresses I slept on where very comfortable. The outside of the room does have a deck where you can sit and eat or just stargaze. It is really quiet. Now, i'm the type of person when i read reviews on here..I wonder are they real. This is a real review. By the way, the continental breakfast has really good muffins. It's probably along the lines of what you would get at a comfort inn. All and all....this is a great place to stay. Thank you for making it a memorable trip!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank messenjah77
Reviewed 11 August 2011

We enjoyed Little Valley Inn! Christine the owner went WAY out of her way to help us with our Yosemite trip, providing an entire booklet of maps, local information and hiking details. She took the time to go over the Yosemite map and highlights. We stayed in the Suncatcher cabin. It had cute bear-themed decore, was clean and roomy and very comfortable for the 4 of us. The beds were very comfy. The air conditioner worked great, we had a coffee maker and a little fridge. Of course they have rules for safety purposes (fire and wild animal precautions which is part of living in that area) and the place is very organized. Breakfast was simple but good - a variety of breads, boiled eggs and fresh fruit with coffee, tea or orange juice. We really enjoyed the deck! We ate several meals on the deck and watched the stars at night on the deck. Wish we had more time to spend at the actual B&B b/c it was SO quiet and relaxing , but we were at Yosemite most of the time. Yosemite was so crowded, it was nice to come back in the evening to peace, quiet and privacy.

Room Tip: Suncatcher room had it's own dec k
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mariposa
Comfort Inn Yosemite Valley Gateway
#1 of 2 in El Portal
Narrow Gauge Inn
Narrow Gauge Inn
#3 of 3 in Fish Camp

Been to Little Valley Inn? Share your experiences!