“Glad it was only for one night :(”
Review of Miners Inn Motel

Miners Inn Motel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Mariposa
NJ
“Glad it was only for one night :(”
Reviewed 23 December 2011

Due to some rough weather in Yosemite, my husband, 2 daughters and I decided to check out 1 night early and travel halfway to our next stop, Monterey. We did some online research and decided on the Miners Inn Motel in Mariposa because of the pool but quickly realized we should have gone with another choice when they told us that the pool wasn't open (it was closed temporarily while they "brought it up to code"). With 2 kids in a sleepy town for the day, having access to the pool was the major factor between Miners Inn and our second choice hotel, so I feel they should have let us know when we called to make the reservation or at least offered a small price discount (although the woman at the desk gave the kids a chocolate bunny as a small consolation). We checked in at the gift shop/breakfast bar counter and then got back into the car and drove to our room at the other side of the parking lot. From the outside, the buildings appeared to be clean, but upon entering we noticed a stale smell in the hallway and our room. There was a sticky patch of carpet over by the table near the window, as if someone had spilled a soda and it never got cleaned up. That night, my 8-year-old pulled back the covers on the bed and there was a small black bug under the sheet - not a bedbug but still creepy enough to make me a restless sleeper. Our continental breakfast the next morning was fine...plenty to choose from...fruits, cereals, coffee/tea/juice, bagels...the kids both enjoyed making waffles for themselves. We checked out early the next morning and were happy to be on our way.

Room Tip: We had a good dinner of burgers, fries and shakes at the kitschy Happy Burger Diner (the girls still...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Grass Valley, California
Reviewed 7 December 2011

I chose this place to stay because of the ratings of other reviewers. I wasn't as thrilled with it by any stretch of the imagination. The office/shop/breakfast room was tacky, the office staff on check-in disinterested. The room was average, blanket and sheets very thin from use, the bathroom fixtures old and discolored, the heating unit for the room broken (a noisy old space heater was brought in) and the wifi didn't work. The internet provided in the chek-in area was so slow as to be unusable.

If it's a place to sleep and take off it would do, the winter price reflected that so it's OK for off season but if you come in the summer and pay top dollar go elsewhere. It was a very disappointing experience and I don't understand why so many people think it's a good place. Maybe it's a gulf in expectations. If you don't expect much you'll get just that.

Room Tip: If you need heat or AC many units are broken so make sure you get one that works. Do not accept the...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank jyphoto
yosemiteminersinn, Manager at Miners Inn Motel, responded to this review, 9 December 2011
Hi,
I just read your review and am deeply concerned as to which room/building you stayed in? If you could please email my your details I would like to investigate. I do know that we were having roof repairs done on two buildings which may have had something to do with the wifi antennas as well as the compressor units for the heaters. We are a small town and only have one company for internet service. I really wish we could get the lightning speed wifi like larger cities have. I do strive to meet and beat customers expectations as you can see with previous reviews. Please email me at ceslie@yosemiteminersinn.com that would be fantastic.
I thank you for bringing your experience to my attention.

Ceslie Brandon
GM @ Miners Inn Motel
ceslie@yosemiteminersinn.com
Rotorua, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 November 2011

Very glad we decided to stay outside Yosemite Park because that meant we had 2 nights in Mariposa (really nice friendly well-used little town) and at Miner's Inn. Really friendly, professional welcome when we checked in and same when we asked if if we could stay a 2nd night the next morning. Also great local knowledge when we needed a slow leak fixed in the one of the rental's tires.
The decor is very old-fashioned, sure, but charming and the rooms are really well-equipped and huge. Bathrooms (and spa bath, too). We even lit the gas fire.
And very inexpensive.
Breakfast was standard but plentiful and tasty, especially before a big day in the park. Downsides were unreliable and very slow internet (not uncommon last time we were in USA in 2008 but this trip has really spoilt us in other locations) and paper thin walls. But - great place and great town.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GraemeSNZ
Mansfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2011

My wife and I found this place by accident, we had been driving most of the day it was late and dark and we wanted somewhere to sleep, so we stopped and enquired about a room, with the price we were given and that it included breakfast, we didn't expect very much , we were totally blown away with the size and quality of the room, all the staff were so polite and helpful and then in the morning there were so many breakfast choices, I wish I could have stayed longer, this has got to be one of best value hotel rooms, we really can't praise it enough

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Corrèze, Limousin
Reviewed 14 November 2011

We were looking for somewhere to stay overnight whilst we were visiting Yosemite. We picked the Miners Inn of the website mainly because of its price and location and not caring too much about anything else as it was just going to be a one night stopover. As expected the price and location was fine but what did delight us was just how good this motel was. The receptionist was friendly and helpful, the rooms big, clean, comfortable and fully equipped. The breakfast arrangements did not look promising - just help yourself from the side - but that turned out fine as well.
Overall we were very pleased we stayed there and would have no hesitation in doing so again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Out dated is not what I would call it. Everything about this place was awful from the Rude front desk lady in the morning to the stained worn out thin sheets. The carpet was beyond filthy!! The beds were like sleeping on a hard rocky ground. Furniture was out dated in the 60's...When I thought it couldn't get worse I woke up in the middle of the late night being bit by the largest BED BUGS known to mankind.

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank Wanderbout
Surrey England
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I've just finished a five week road trip to the States and this was the best motel room we stayed in. We had room 156, a King size bed. I don't know if all rooms were the same standard but we had a great bed, large room, balcony, fireplace, Wi-Fi, large flatscreen TV. The bathroom was huge and had a large jacuzzi bath big enough for two or three, which we enjoyed. There is a small pool available if you fancy it.

There is a bar and restaurant on the opposite side of the car park to the motel. This is part of the complex. It is fair to say that the bar and restaurant are dated. We ate in the restaurant and the menu and food was not great. (I am not marking down the motel for this.)

In the morning we had an early breakfast, which was incuded in the room rate. The breakfast was fairly good. We then headed off to Yosemite, which is about an hour away.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms near 156
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mariposa
Cedar Lodge
Mariposa Lodge
#3 of 6 in Mariposa
Comfort Inn Yosemite Area
Yosemite Southgate Hotel & Suites

Been to Miners Inn Motel? Share your experiences!