“Stop here if your passing through”

Wolf Creek Restaurant and Bar
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

Stopped here in the middle of a long drive from mammoth lakes to Nappa. So glad to have found it. Very friendly atmosphere super food and excellent service. Very highly recommend it!

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I had dinner in the restaurant during one of the slowest times of the year, so I was not expecting to have a huge lineup of freshly made menu items. I chose the trout, baked potato and salad.
The salad was fresh and crispy. I knew fishing season was over and the trout would most likely be frozen, and it was, but it was prepared well and tasted very good. And the baked potato came with all the fixings, even fresh chives.
I was happy with my meal. And I have no complaints about the service. That was good, too.
After dinner I went into the bar, where there was a duet playing live music. I enjoyed them and they had a great assortment of songs I love.
I very much enjoyed the drinks, the bartender, and the locals in the bar.
Beware... if you are looking for an all night party during the shoulder season, this place is not it. (And, it appears, it is the only late night place in Markleeville!). On the Saturday night I was there, the band ended at 10pm and by 10:05 the place was empty!

Reviewed 23 September 2013

We ate here on a Saturday night when the bar was busy and lively but the restaurant was fairly quiet - maybe we now know why.

Service was very average and there was a mix up with wine but no biggy. We ordered ribs and I had a soup with mine. I should have realised that we'd have fun when I saw the cook ladle something out of a large tin into a bowl. A few minutes later my soup arrived - clearly microwaved and with a skin on top...

A little later we had the ribs, with fries. I didn't finish my food which is highly unusual - basically the ribs were overcooked - almost certainly cooked earlier that day and then warmed through in an oven maybe. As if to balance that the fries were undercooked - given that they came out of a freezer in the first place and, you would have thought, placed in hot oil, that seems hardly possible but they were.

If you're looking for a drink in Markleeville then the Wolf Creek is probably not a bad bet but if you're looking to eat then you may want to consider crossing the road. It was the worst meal in our two week visit to California.

1  Thank Derek R
Reviewed 28 August 2013

While traveling through California on our rented motorcycles, we needed to stop for a late lunch and found other motorcycles parked all around this restaurant! That's always a good sign, so we parked the bikes to head on in... but several riders were coming out so we HAD to visit for updates on food and local roads. We got lots of info on both topics. Seems many riders make this a planned stop for the good food and old-time setting. Burgers and a club sandwich were prepared well, as were the fries.... fairly priced. We sat out back on the patio (covered tables, nice breeze) but took time to look around at the old photos and furnishings. We really stayed too long... service was just ok not great but not bad. We would stop again is in the area.

Reviewed 1 November 2012

A happy lunch was enjoyed in this 1800s building. Friendly staff, tasty food. My hamburger and fries were prepared as asked. The "homemade" Mexican Meatball Soup was declared delicious by my wife. The bar patrons were locals and jovial. A good place to visit and enjoy a meal.