“Great day shucking & BBQing”

Hog Island Oyster Company
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Marshall
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: View, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Hog Island Oyster Co. Marshall offers three dining options on the shore of Tomales Bay, the bay where we raise our own oysters and shellfish. 1. Reserve a seat(s) at The Boat Oyster Bar and outdoor oyster bar with communal seating where we shuck and grill oysters for you and offer a small menu of locally sourced, house made bites, beer and wine. The Boat oyster bar is open Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon 11:30-4:30 PM. Reservations required. No outside food allowed. 2. Reserve a picnic table and shuck-your-own oysters. Reserve a table and grill, BYO picnic and shuck-your own oysters. Picnic reservations 10:30-1:30 and 2:00-5:00 PM daily. Reservations required. 3. Purchase live, unshucked oysters, shellfish and picnic fare to-go. Open 9-5 PM daily. Retail sales, 9:00am-5:00pm Picnic Area,10:00am-5:00pm (reservation required) The Boat Oyster Bar,11:00am - 4:30pm Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon (reservation required) Closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Days.
“Great day shucking & BBQing”
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

We went on a shuck your own day... Brought bread, cheese, and wine. Ate 3 dozen oysters & had a great time meeting others in this beautiful setting. Staff was extremely helpful but busy. Will be returning soon...

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank LCM599

New York City, New York
“Barbecue oysters are a must!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The woman behind the counter was rude, but the food and location were awesome. We brought bread and cheese from a nearby bakery and cheese shop, and bought oysters and wine from Hog Island. It was a lovely lunch, breezy and sunny.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank AdrianandSelina
Calgary, Canada
“Good, but not really worth the drive from SF”
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

We love Hog Island in the Ferry Building and visit nearly every time we're in San Francisco. So, since we were passing through Marshall, this was an obvious must-visit for us. We arrived around lunchtime on a Monday, a beautiful sunny day!

The first thing that surprised me was the rather limited, communal, seating (though there is apparently the ability to reserve tables online). I was also surprised by the rather limited menu - only a couple of kinds of oysters on the day we visited, no bread, limited cheese selection (which you have to purchase by the round), and fairly limited drinks/wine menu. The oysters were certainly good, but I didn't feel they were any fresher than what we get at Hog Island in the Ferry Building. Maybe the possible appeal is being able to shuck your own oysters, which I'm told they offer on certain days? This would have been a great experience.

Even for a Monday, the dining area was pretty busy and seemed small and crowded (no different than the Ferry Building, I know, but I'd still hate to see this place on a weekend!). And people were taking pictures everywhere! Staff were friendly, but busy and didn't have much time to chat.

I was hoping for a more leisurely lunch experience, a reason to linger, enjoy some good oysters, food and wine, and learn a little bit more about Hog Island. None of these expectations were really fulfilled, so - though it wasn't bad - there certainly isn't a compelling reason to return, or make a special trip here (unless maybe you have some sort of an "insider" tour booked that would offer a more holistic experience). My tip: If the experience is important to you - like it was for me - check the Hog Island website or connect with them before you go, you might be disappointed if you just drop by.

Visited May 2014
South Carolina
“Oyster picnic...”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Hog Island Oyster Co. is home of the best tasting oysters I eat while on the left coast!
If your not a fan of raw oysters,ask for some to be placed on the bbq grill (I promise you wont die from eating them).
We had a wonderful little picnic by the sea,sipping wine and eating fresh oysters.

• Visited April 2014
California
“Beautiful...and oysters too!”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Sitting by the water, eating oysters, sipping champagne...does it GET any better?? They now only offer shuck it yourself oysters Tues - Thurs. Fri - Mon you must purchase the (much) more expensive already shucked variety (with no choices as to size or kind). I'm not really a fan of that idea, but, what can you do? I still love the oysters. I still love the area. I'll keep coming! And maybe next time, I'll do a tour!

• Visited April 2014