“Disappointing Dinner”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Tomales-Petaluma Road
Description: Nick's Cove, an historic restaurant located on the gorgeous shores of Tomales Bay, offers local, fresh and sustainable food that is tasteful and simply prepared. Our wine list also features treasures from local wine-makers as well as wines both organic and conventional from New Zealand, France and Spain. For complete menu details and wine selections consult our website at www.nickscove.com. Don't forget to take a peek at our 12 beautifully restored cottages! We accept OpenTable dollars in the hotel as well as the restaurant.
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We were staying at Nick's and made a dinner reservation which we were greatly looking forward to, based on website & tripadvisor information. Although the restaurant was not at all busy, service was incredibly slow-over an hour to get our main courses! The mixed green salad was topped with a flavorless, small portion of chevre and very weak buttermilk dressing. Crab cakes and crab mac and cheese were good but not great; pork chop was burnt and tough; the halibut was the best, well cooked with tasty clams. However, it was surprising not to have veggies included in dinner entrees given that the area is known for its organic produce...

Reviewed 10 November 2013

We came here when it first opened as a Pat Kuleto restaurant. It was such a treasure. The setting is wonderful, with the sparkling weather and the Sonoma Country charm. Sitting on the deck is a great pleasure. At the time the food seemed astounding and we always looked forward to coming back. This time I just didn't feel charmed. First of all, there was nothing on the menu that I really wanted. The food was good but very expensive. We had a wonderful waiter, so warm and helpful, and he made it a nice experience. I don't know if the restaurant has changed, or if I have, but I didn't love it this time. We had the fried oyster as a starter and they were somewhat tasteless. I had the crab sandwich which was very good. The outside tables were full so we had to sit inside which took away a little from our experience. Definitely, this is a restaurant worth trying. It's very unique.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

I must admit, the raw oysters are better at Nick's cove than at The Marshall Store; however, the BBQ oysters at Nick's Cove were not as good or flavorful as the BBQ oysters at The Marshall Store. I also give credit to Nick's Cove for including eastern oysters on their list. The restaurant is lovely and the presentation of the food is wonderful. I would give it five stars but the service came with a bit of ATTITUDE that I did not appreciate. This place is a little full of itself - be prepared.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Late Indian summer day sun shinning so went to the coast for some lunch and dropped in at Nicks Cove, The weather was awesome so we requested a seating on the back deck, The wait was about 15 to 20 Mins with no reservations which we took that time to sit outside by the oyster bar and have a beer and some oysters, the atmosphere was great everyone in a good mood enjoying the weather,people from near and far just kicking it! When our table was ready we moved to the back deck and ordered lunch, The food was excellant and the service was ok but overall good times!! My only complaint is that it's probably a little too pricey.....

Reviewed 30 September 2013

If you happen to be driving along Tomales Bay, by all means, stop by Nick's Cove. With a gorgeous setting along the bay, the updated restaurant markets itself as a high-end seafood eatery. Our party had a reservation for eight, and somehow ended up at a table next to the kitchen - four of us looked out at the bay, the other four were stuck watching the staff polish wine glasses and carry food from the kitchen - this despite being less than busy. I had the BBQ'ed oysters which were delicious, but at $17, a little on the high end. Others in our party had the salmon and halibut ($27), which they enjoyed. I would not make a special trip out here - too far off the beaten path, and expensive. San Francisco prices in the boonies is not a recipe for success. I liked the old Nick's better.