“We were very pleased.”

McCloud Mercantile Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in McCloud
Reviewed 23 September 2013

The place was quaint, the room ( art and craft ) was bigger then the apt I had in New York.
I take that back, the bathroom was only slightly smaller then the Apt I had in New York.
the place was spotless, only complaint may be the bed was a little soft to my taste.

Bed had a feather topper some love this but I like a firmer bed.
The Town of McCloud is nice but the dinning options are bit limited.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for McCloud Mercantile Hotel

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Nice rooms. Comfortable bed. Our room didn't have very comfortable sitting chairs. Very small TV. Very quiet. The $20 breakfast credit is nice. Nice staff. Very small quiet town. No in-room coffee but available in common area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I rented three rooms at the McCloud River Mercantile Hotel (not to be confused with other hotels and bed and breakfasts in the same area with similar names). This hotel is like a fine hotel and a bed and breakfast combined, in that you get a spacious bedroom filled with vintage furniture and modern conveniences, as well as a $20 credit per room for breakfast at the White Mountain Café in the same building. My brother and sister-in-law selected the Friday George room, and I picked the Minnesota Room. My parents were upgraded to the Charles Miller Suite for their anniversary. Our teenage daughter enjoyed the extra bed in the sleeping nook in the suite at no additional charge, thanks to the generosity of the owners. My brother and sister-in-law heard the restaurant fan (as other reviewers have mentioned) while in the Friday George Room, but it did not bother them. They liked the fun slanted metal ceiling in that room but thought the very short, clawfoot tub might be a hazard to those who are not too nimble. The tub is fine for a quick bath if you don't like to stretch out. The Charles Miller Suite is large with both a jetted tub and separate room containing the toilet and walk-in shower, perfect for those with disabilities. (There is an elevator to take guests to the rooms, all on the second floor.) The Minnesota Room is light and bright with double sinks and a much larger clawfoot tub. Beds were very comfortable. Linens and soaps, shampoo, and lotion were very high quality. We all noticed that the room air conditioning units cycle on and off frequently. The noise could bother light sleepers, so you might want to bring earplugs. There is an upstairs sitting area and kitchen area with table and chairs, small refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, and coffee, cocoa, and tea supplies. The kitchen was useful for preparing a light dinner. (There is not a lot open in the evening in McCloud so it is best to plan to bring food or plan on driving to Mt. Shasta.) However, the hotel serves warm homemade chocolate chip cookies in the evening. Yum! The $20 breakfast credit was more than enough for an excellent, substantial breakfast at the café for two people; the meal added to the experience. Hotel and café staff members were all very friendly and helpful, and check-in and check-out were easy. We all enjoyed our stay at this lovely getaway.

Room Tip: See excellent photos of rooms on line and call the hotel for more details. Several rooms have many...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Suzcarl
Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

I don't know what to say about this place except that it was fantastic! I stayed in the Hot & Tot Room and I loved it. The bed was comfortable, tons of space and, a great large bathroom. Then this morning breakfast was included at the White Mountain Cafe and it was a real breakfast! Delicious!
I'm going to plan a trip back here just to have an excuse to stay here again!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We stayed here the last night of our vacation, and what an adventure! About the time we checked in, there was a massive power failure throughout the area! The owners responded quickly with lights and since the restaurants nearby were not able to serve dinner, they put out a spread of snacks so their guests would not go hungry. Just the nicest people!

The room we had was handicap accessible and huge! Lots of natural light that allowed us to read in two comfy chairs until it was almost dark. Bed was comfy and the room was clean. The included breakfast in the morning was really a lumberjack size and delicious! Would STRONGLY recommend the half portion that is available.

I accidentally left my pillow there and they were kind enough to mail it back to me. I would highly recommend the McCloud River Mercantile as the best choice in McCloud and the only place that has king size beds!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I can not say enough good things about McCloud Mercantile. I booked our room there because we needed a place for a short stay, but I wish we had more time to enjoy the hotel and the town. We booked the Railroad Room for our family of 4 (two 16-year-olds and 2 parents) and it was beautiful and unique. The bathroom was WONDERFUL - with an old full-size tub, 2 sinks, a separate toilet and shower. There were pretty soaps laid out, the towels were very fluffy and big and plentiful. The beds were comfortable (queen and 2 twins) with nice duvets. When we arrived we learned that the entire northern part of California as well as southern Oregon had lost power, so we were immediately directed to the one place in town that had a generator and was serving dinner. Electricity came back in a couple of hours, but in the meantime the owners organized wine, cheese, crackers and fruit for everyone and several guests got together and chatted over snacks with the owners. Breakfast in the morning was at the cafe on the first floor. It was not included but was discounted. Because the hotel is an old "mercantile" building, the whole first floor is comprised of several unique stores (general "mercantile" or merchandise, candy/soda fountain, arty-souveniers and the great cafe). Our trip was 10 days, and our favorite breakfast was the one we had that morning - tasty pancakes covered with a wonderful assortment of fresh berries. We had to leave fairly promptly in the morning so I really never got a chance to "shop" (also because of the power outage the night before) which I wanted to because everything looked so appealing. Also, there were several places in the town that looked interesting. Mount Shasta is pretty prominent and worth photos and the owners will tell you about three waterfalls that are worth the five minute drive - a nice thing to check out in the evening, I think. We will be back.

Room Tip: The Railroad Room was great - but close the blind on the left window because the street light outsid...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank CarlisleRedSoxFan
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the "Hot & Tot" room for 1 night and it was fantastic. Very comfortable and bright. The only thing lacking for me was a hair dryer. Included in our room rate was a $20 credit to The White Mountain Fountain cafe. Breakfast was very good and plentiful.
The innkeepers/owners, Kevin and Darlene, made sure all of our needs were met.

• Stayed: August 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near McCloud
McCloud Hotel
#7 of 9 in Mount Shasta
McCloud River Inn
McCloud River Inn
#1 of 4 in McCloud

Been to McCloud Mercantile Hotel? Share your experiences!